Anyone else just not care to associate with their family?

Discussion in 'General' started by Stangfriik, Oct 30, 2008.

1. A few of us at work got in to the subject about our parents and family and they all seemed to have good relationships with their family except me. I don't know why I feel this way but I just don't see the reason to associate with my parents, brother, and sister when we have nothing in common.

My bro and sis are so many years younger than I, we never formed much of a relationship growing up which has remained about the same now. My parents are pretty young since I'm the oldest so it's not like they are as out of touch as some people's parents. I just don't feel the connection that most seem to have. It's almost as if I was adopted to the point that sure they raised me, they have helped me out a lot especially the passed few years when it comes to our financial problems and I'm happy they did but not in the parental sense.

It's hard to put it in to words though. If my mom didn't call, I'd probably never call them. It's not like I'm in that rebellious stage as I'm 29 so I'm well passed that but I just have this feeling that they raised me albeit not the way I would have wanted to be raised and that's it. They did their job and now it's my life and they have their life back. Most though, don't think this way and I'm not quite sure why my mindset is so different.

To me, what's the point in conversing with people whom you have no common interests with only for the fact that they are related?

2. I don't think that way. Everyone is different and everyone is in a different environment and every different person responds differently to different situations.

3. I dont feel that way about my family. I love the way they are each one drinks and about half of them toke regularly so we always have something to do and talk about when were together.Alot of my friends are jealous they wish my dad was there friend lol.

4. Well since they are your parent's they raised you for many years of your life and took care of you. Im sure they like you and would like to have a conversation every once in awhile just to see how things are going. Maybe they didn't raise you how you wanted to be raised, but still.

5. I don't care to associate with my in-laws. They are assholes to a degree that defies explanation. I honestly don't know why my wife gives a shit either, albeit a much smaller one than most, but still. If I'd been her I wouldn't talk to them ever again after what they put her/us through.

6. I used to be like that till mom got cancer

Now I sit in the living room and watch movies with them instead of being couped up in my room or out all the time

7. I've been burned my family's dumb decisions a number of times, so I'm a little callous about associating with them. I'm still plagued by the feelings of wanton abandonment over it, though, especially with my grandmother beating on death's door, and my dad not far behind with his health problems.

Of course, most of it is competely out of my hands anyway. If I can make it on my own, why should I have to be bogged down by what others want?

Still, :(

8. My family is openly not a fan of me.

I don't speak to my mom, my step father kicked me out and she chose him over me, so she's kind of dead to me.

After that I moved in with my dad, he's alright I guess, he's always drunk though and we don't have a lot in common.

Kind of sucks =/