Anyone else into honda's

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by hatch kid, Mar 19, 2012.

1. #101 angusbeef, May 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2012
    I hear what your saying bro but I tend to disagree there's a little more to it than bolts and wrench's. Especially when you start talking diagnostics. Rebuilding an automatic transmission is much harder than an engine. I'd almost rather rewire an entire electric body network than try to track down some intermittent complaints i've dealt with. You're right though it's not exactly rocket science. Our industry reports the number one cause of catastrophic failure is a loose nut behind the wheel followed closely by a shade tree mechanics previous work, lol.

Howstuffworks.com is a pretty good site for automotive references. Prolly the best "free media" I know of.

2. ^Yup, E30 <3

3. #103 Zònk, May 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2012
    Go for it man! for $700 it shouldnt be to bad of a loss even if you lose interest.

I hear what you are saying too man. There are certain things on my cars that even I will give up on and take to a shop. When it comes to transmissions I would rather buy a new or used one that rebuild one myself. As far as the basics go though, its relatively simple in my opinion. When I made that post I didnt even think of things like rebuilding transmissions. I didnt figure that anyone in the thread would even mention trying things like that on your own.

4. Still trying to think of any good FWD track cars........ Nope got nothin substantial, but I can think of dozzens of RWD track legends.

I am not saying fwd can't be made to handle but not as good as there AWD and RWD counterparts. At least that is my experience. Maybe I just can't learn to drive one. I want my throttle to be a tool in a turn. Not likely with fwd unless you love the push/under steer.

And I doubt a moded civic will take me out of a corner. They are not even in the same league. Lol. Unless your civic will run with any 100k plus dollar super car on a track.

Also I live in one of the best curvy road areas in the country as evidence by the car clubs that drive hours to do the valley to king city loop. Google it 93924, Carmel valley rd. Or Hw 1. Or the race track 15 min away, laguna seca. My driveway is a 1 mile long dirt road that gains 1100 feet in a single mile, let's see that civic pull 100 mph up my drive way. Lol. Or keep up with me without flying off a cliff.

5. #105 angusbeef, May 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2012
    I would never buy a used automatic transmission and with the consideration and assumption a shop is going to charge somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000 for a rebuild a $35 dollar repair manual, a few SST, and some time on a bench can be well worth it just to replace what boils down to just a couple planetary gears. I guess thats easy for me to say though haha. But seriously, if you're shopping automatic transmissions you can pretty much assume anything used is going to need a replacement valve body at the least. They just don't do to well with moisture in a sitting setting.

And their is no reason a manual transmission should ever fail..really. Unless its ran completely out of oil. Clutch's wear of course. Shit, don't mean to drag this way off topic but now u know everything I do. And what the hell is that anyway..??:smoke::laughing:

Five-four i'd be careful your treading dangerous waters. You should atleast run a compression test on this car before hand unless you're already willing/planning on forking the dough for a complete new engine assembly assume the worse. Cracked block, not rebuildable..not saying that's gonna be the case but ya need to figger out what yer getting into. It's great your looking into turnin wrenchs as a hobby, take them classes brosef.

6. #106 1992xr2, May 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2012
    Only that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Every time I see a reply from you I facepalm. What kind of POS Toyota do you drive again?

On a seperate note, I've been doing some economy tuning on the D15 I've been using while my other motor is at the machine shop and I just made 48 mpg on crome pro with o2 disabled and only basic street tuning. 30 year old engine design, 23 year old car, 20 year old ecu.

7. um cant think of any FWD track cars? Do you know what touring car racing is? Do you know what the Koni Challenge is?

Go look at Club racing...

Racing was my life until i put a 32 Ford into a wall at around 170 at the strip. Scared me too much lol quit dragging.

8. You do know a FWD technically can power into a corner keep more speed and stay far more stable then a RWD car right? You know nothing about club racing, you are a tool. Stupidstuff, yes the name fits.

9. And he's obviously never heard of BTCC where the FWD consistently and repeatedly rape the RWD cars.

10. 1991 Honda Civic Si...

D16A6 40k on rebuilt block...have a complete turbo kit sitting in my garage for her :)
    H&R Race springs, lcas, tie bar.
    Sittin on flat black fat fives
    Shes red and has NO RUST!!!!!!!

11. I believe this 100%. Ive had some buddies messing around with fuel economy boost and hitting in the 55mpg. My hatch is going to be the next fuel economic. go kart experiment :D

12. :D Laughed when I read this.