Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anybody here ever gotten pneumonia from vaporizing?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Willyummyweed, Feb 17, 2012.

1. yo, has anybody here ever gotten ammonia from vaporizing or inhaling bits of herb?

2. [quote name='"Willyummyweed"']yo, has anybody here ever gotten ammonia from vaporizing or inhaling bits of herb?[/quote]

Well ammonia is usually found in ceilings of older buildings, so no.
    But honestly OP I've never gotten PNEUmonia from vaping. Maybe someone you smoked with had it and you caught the virus sharing the whip?

3. Ahh darn phone spelling my words wrong. Grrrrr. Possibly, but do you or anybody think particles sucking through might have had some affect? Anybody else gotten PNEUMONIA from smoking or vaping???

4. Im sure I got some sort of lung infection before.......I believe it was from taking too big of hits all the time. It came on rather immediately I remember cause I started coughing out of nowhere all of a sudden and I had phlegm coming up for about a week.

wasn't long after that I switched over to vaping

5. #5 mikevick, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2012
    ..... No pot has never caused me pneumonia in my years of heavy toke. I got a vaporizer to though, MFLB with the power adapter.

6. Same here, not sure if its from big hits though might just be sick. we're you smoking out of a pipe/bong? some sort?

7. No but I got a sharp pain in my lungs and after for a couple days it would randomly come back and it would hurt to breathe. Fucking MFLB so disappointed.

8. [quote name='"mikevick"']..... No pot doesnt cause pneumonia[/quote]

Uh yah it can. It's not some sort of magic plant that's completely healthy for you otherwise they would've never made vaporizers and doctors wouldn't recommend vaporizing. js

9. [quote name='"WeedNotDrugs"']

Same here, not sure if its from big hits though might just be sick. we're you smoking out of a pipe/bong? some sort?[/quote]

I was using a Arizer Solo with no screen for 8 hours non stop in a smokey room :/

10. High-five to a fellow Solo user (^), but...

Yes it can. Bacteria, viruses and fungi can all live quite happily on MJ if it isn't stored properly, and pneumonia can be caused by any 3 of those settling on the alveoli.

11. I bought on some bronchial/congestion problems with smoking on occasion...though sometimes it was through sharing bongs, sometimes it was smoking with an already irritated throat.

Never while vaping. I use the arizer extreme Q and it's a dream - I don't have any plant matter fragments come through there.
    I also don't use the whip mode - and everyone that uses it has their own bag, with hot air run through the connecting tube prior re-attachment.

...So yeah, I take these measures and vaping has never made the lungs/throat feel anything but great.

12. I think you may be thinking of asbestos. :)

Back to the OP, cannabis or vaping will not give you pneumonia all on its own, many of the terpenes actually prevent against these types of infections, they are present in high numbers especially in the healthiest, high-trichome count plants.

However like others have mentioned, inhaling improperly grown and tainted debris can absolutely lead to chest congestion, sinus and chest infections, and ultimately, pneumonia. Weak, stressed and under-nourished plants often become diseased, due to a lack of production of the same terpenes than protect us.
    It's worth noting that when herb is infected, diseased or moldy, especially after it is off the plant, it often breaks down rapidly, meaning the cannabinoid content is down, and even more so as they are the most fragile, whatever terpenes there once were are now also reduced in content, or they are no longer even present. Mold spores can temporarily inhabit and colonize in the tissues in your lungs, sinuses, and throat, the longer it takes your body to deal with them, the more likely you are to develop pneumonia (or worse) before it's over. This is why you should never smoke herb that smells rotten, putrid, or too musky (not in a good way), or especially if you know for a fact that it is moldy. It's also a good idea to keep your smoking and vaping gear sanitary, and regularly cleansed. It is especially important for those with reduced immune system function to avoid potentially contaminated meds, smoking/vaping utensils, and gardening equipment.

13. Wow thank you guys a bunch. Very insightful. I question the legitimacy of the test results from the dispense that I get my meds from. :/ I'll be asking them some questions as soon as I am able to walk a little more.