Anybody A Parks Ranger??

Discussion in 'General' started by shermdawg767, Jun 6, 2014.

1. I've recently applied to be a state parks ranger entry level position. Just wanted to know if there's anyone out there that has this job and could tell me how they like. Or maybe what they experienced when they first joined. I know I will get tested for the application, and since it's working for the state government there is a high possibility that I will have random drug test. I may try and find a way to smoke and still keep the job but if it's way to much. Then I will have to give up smoking pot for now. This job has a good pay and it's a very good place to work and I don't want to ruin it.

"Wait! We can't stop here, this is bat country!"- Fear and Loathing

2. Tell officer shultz I say "fuck you".
    Instead of giving up pot, you should give up the job. I personally would not take a job if I could not smoke pot with it.

"She was living in a single room with three other individuals. One of them was a male and the other two, well the other two were female. God only knows what they were up to in there. And furthermore, Susan, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that all four of them habitually smoked marihuana cigarettes..... REEFERS"

3. I always figured park rangers would have a perfect job for pot smoking. Hanging out in nature all day? I mean, that's basically what they do, right?

This isn't the same as a ranger position, but last month I went camping at a state park with my boyfriend and there was this man there with an RV and a whole set-up who was the campsite "host." That seems like a primo pothead job to me. You just camp every day. It didn't seem like he had to do... anything.

Sent from my XT1055 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. No offense but that's idiotic.

It pisses me off to no end how many threads have been started about "Not taking a job cause it DT's"

Seriously. SERIOUSLY. angers me. That's not the American dream.

"Oh ya something got in my way, fuck that path guess I'll go smoke a bowl and wait for the next opportunity to pass me by"

5. what sort of experience do you need for that?

6. In the advertisement online it said just a high school diploma and I'll be trained on the job. I will have to take a basic first aid and CPR class along with possible training to use a firearm. I found the job at Indeed.com.

7. very cool. sounds like a good time and a fun job. depending on the park you may even stumble across some grows lol.

i dont think park rangers have a lot of managerial overhead so after the initial drug test youre probably okay to smoke i bet.

8. #8 0ri0n, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    I was almost a park ranger, but of course they chose this summer of all summers to change their hiring policy from targeting young adults to middle aged rednecks. :mad:  Whatever floats your boat DNR...
    My uncle has worked for the state for 30+ years and he has a drug test every year before work but no randoms.

9. have fun working at mcdonalds

10. I'll have fun living a life of leisure, with a balance between what I want and what I don't want but must have.
    Instead of staying sober and chapping kids for smoking weed.

"She was living in a single room with three other individuals. One of them was a male and the other two, well the other two were female. God only knows what they were up to in there. And furthermore, Susan, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that all four of them habitually smoked marihuana cigarettes..... REEFERS"

11. The good news:  State and federal piss testing actually permits a small amount of THC. State workers are not subject to random drug tests.  

The bad news:  You're unlikely to get this job at all.  Sorry, i mean Im hoping you do man, but this is a very difficult job to get.

the only harder job to obtain i can think of is a Department of Fish and Wildlife game warden.

12. #12 schmickler83, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2014
    There is a lot of room for promotion with these jobs.  Once you're on the inside you meet lots of insiders.  They like you, they will move you up.  And if they really like you, they will warn you of upcoming drug tests.  You also meet a lot of private contractors while on the job.  So if you get canned, you call up one of these guys that you made friends with on the job and they'll get you a job somewhere.  Quid quo pro.

13. #13 BurnAFewDown, Jun 10, 2014
    What kind of park are you interested in? National, state, regional? I don't know much about national and state, but the rangers I know work for a regional park. And there is no drug test for getting the job, they are only subjected to random tests if they fuck up or they appear to be high at work. They are ommp (medical) friendly, so they are allowed to have weed in their system, but shouldn't be high at work. I know one ranger than smokes on the job off in the woods and smokes with temp workers. Im interested to hear more input from those who know more about state level

14. #14 BurnAFewDown, Jun 10, 2014
    Just know that's the minimum needed and more qualification will help. The last job opening for the parks near my house had over 400 people apply for 3 positions, so more experience helps. Plus most positions require at least 6 months of work within the department at a lower level

15. It's a state park, this is a job I feel like I definitely would enjoy doing, I would like to keep smoking and work separate it's for the best haha

16. My determination will prevail haha

17. Says everyone that makes my food.

That is such an idiotic logic. This is one of the reasons stoners have a bad reputation, because of such bullocks coming from some of them. You live your own life, but don't give stupid advice to others, suggesting them to give up a job opportunity just to smoke a drug.

19. I want this man to live as long as possible and if he stops smoking pot, he will most likely die sooner than he would if he did not smoke pot.
    On a side note, my cats are gonna live longer than most.

20. I've stopped smoking for over a month now because I knew I need to get a job. I doubt I will have to quit if I get it.
    It would really suck if I had to quit to keep the job but this is something I can honestly say would enjoy doing with my life. So maybe smoking isn't as important as doing what I love and enjoy in life.