Any tips?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by antrobushighz, Mar 19, 2010.

1. First time grower here. just a very basic set-up as i thought i'll see how it goes before i put more money into it! Growing some G bomb (fem) and am in the 7th week of vegetation. Now i've got my head around pretty much every stage apart from one of the most important one, the flowering!
    Will the plant automatically start to flower, or should i induce it by switching light periods?

It's looking lovely!

Many Thanks!

2. The plant will begin to flower approximately 7-10 days after YOU DECIDE to make the switch to 12/12 ;)

The longer you veg, the larger the plant will be and remember that it will double to triple in size once you switch it.

Good luck, take pics, keep us posted.

3. I am guessing it's not an autoflower, so you induce it by going to 12/12 lighting. You also want to make sure your bulbs are in the 2500 range kelvin temp (red).

4. switch to 12/12 to induce flowering dude =)

5. Is the light change essential? I'm running a pretty low energy ecobulb at 125w but its done the job nicely so far for the vegetitive stage.

Also might just leave it another week to give it its full 8 weeks since seedling. Good idea?

Thanks for feedback, will post pics soon. :)

6. how bigs your grow space? Cos 8 weeks veg then flower will mean a demon plant haha demon as in big =)

How tall is it now??

7. Yeah, how large is the plant now? Like Jay said, this thing could become a monster during flowering. Make certain your grow space can handle more than a doubling in size.

8. You should be very ready to go 12/12. My sativas went 5 & 6 weeks veg, and they're out of control. I had to train the main stem because it was about to hit the lamp....it burnt one of the top flowers because of it's size when it went to 12/12.

If you have the room available, more power to you, but if you have a spatial budget, you may want to look at how big it's gonna get. they can at least double in size after flowering.....believe me, they can

9. My tent is 60cmx60cmx140cm so its got enough height. Right i may start flowering sooner rather than later then. Width of it is about 40x40cm and height is roughly 70cm (sorry imperialists!). Will get a pic up tonight.

10. do you kno if its a sativa of indica plant, cos that may get very big lol

Wouldnt mind some pics =D

11. Is your flowering light 125w cfl also? If so, I wouldn't worry about it blowing up too big.

12. Yes it is. I was told that in this case i should move the plant closer to the light for 12h light on time for flowering. It is a indica strain.

Here's some pics. 7th week since seedling. Its in a 15L pot for size reference. :)

Attached Files:

13. Yes. Unless you are growing an auto-flowering strain, the light change is essential to inducing flower development.

I've never grown G-Bomb, but from what I've read about the strain, it will not get huge, and is ideal for space limited grow rooms. It says it is mostly indica . The Breeder says the plant reaches a maximum height of 130cm.

It won't hurt anything if you let her veg. for 8 full weeks. 9 full weeks of flowering are recommended.

Have fun with her!

14. #14 LBH, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010
    ok,....where to start,lol.

1. Time to repot, you are rootbound or will be extremely soon (Only because the plant is growing like a champ, nice genetics ;) )

-Pot size- 5 gal minimum Preferred

2. You need (not necessarily "need" but "should definitely have") 2 different lights, one for flowering and one for vegging. In the case of cfl's,...multiple bulbs for both. An hps light is highly recommended for flowering but if you are going to use cfl's they need to be in the 2700k spectrum.

Your vegging bulb should be 6500k

Regardless of whether they are flowering or vegging, cfl bulbs need to be very close to the plant to have any effect. A few inches. The rule is you want to be able to hold your hand, palm down, in between the 2. If it's too hot for the top of your hand, it's too hot for the plant.

When the lights are too far away, 2 things happen

-the plant is even more starved for light
    -it "stretches" to get to the light. (creates a tall, lanky, sparse looking plant instead of the nice bushy type.)

Moving the light closer will help with those 2 things but it will not trigger the flowering process to begin. To do that, as Toledo stated, you need to initiate the 12/12 switch which means from today on out, they go under the flowering bulbs in a LIGHTPROOF area (can't emphasize that enough) with good air circulation and renewal (again, extremely important), to be in the dark for 12 hours a day and under the lights for 12 hours a day. A timer is highly recommended to help maintain this schedule.

You should begin to see signs of flowering (clusters of white pistils shoot out from the bud sites) within 7-10/14 days. THAT is the day you begin to count days of flowering, not the day you switched to 12/12. We see way too many plants get pulled early because of folks confusing "days of flowering" and "the switch to 12/12" as the same thing. they're not ;)

I'm sure you have questions, let's hear 'em ;) :)

15. On quite a budget and seeing as its just one plant in a reflective tent would a 250w hps light do? It would produce 33,000 lumens.

How'd ya think the plant is going?

16. that plant would do well under a 250w hps dude, jus make sure it kept cool.

And that plant looks good =) good job

17. #17 LBH, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010
    250 will do it, 400 will do it much better for not a lot more $$ but don't be fooled, it's not just one plant,....it's the 1st plant. Once you finish this one, there'll be plenty more, trust me,lol. You can go up to 4 in there with a 400 ;)

Whichever one you choose, it must be an air cooled version.

18. Right i'm going to leave it for another week of veg, it's still growing nicely. I'm going to get a 250w hps this week and seduce her into flowering next week.

Thanks everyone for being such great help, i shall reward with photos and the first one is on you guys :)

19. #19 LBH, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2010
    the next thing to think about is how to keep it rolling along, shortening the time between harvests. This is called a "perpetual" grow.

Veg room- Plant a seed every 4 weeks. Veg those for 8 week terms

Tent-move 1 plant from veg room to tent every 4 weeks

There are never more than 2 in the tent at a time and you harvest 1 plant every 4 weeks (2-6 ounces/month)

The 250 will be a great intro light, 2 plants will do fine under it.

Good luck, any questions, fire away.

20. Thanks for the tips LBH! Right i'm buying my HPS 250w bulb. Do i need to get a ballast? What exactly does it do? I have a 'euro reflector' that my CFL bulb has been plugged into and the fitting for both the CFL and HPS is the same (E40). I'm guessing this might be the ballast?
    :confused: