Any Tips on Flowering

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by snazzpompey, Oct 23, 2007.

1. I just turned my light over to 12/12 been like it for almost a week anyone got any ideas or tips they can share so i dont end up f**king up my 1st harvest

2. During the 12/12 phase plants typically take a lot more water than they do during veg. Also, during the twelve hours of DARKNESS you must make sure that it is PURE darkness for twelve hours. Even if they get as much as 5 minutes of light during the dark phase, you risk screwing your plant up indefinitely.

Good luck!

3. got no light leaks at all watered it yesterday and it shot up 2 inches the white hairs are just beginning to show so im doin summat right got some terra flores comin so that should help it along

4. you're doing everything right. my only advice is try not to overfertilize. during flowering i always want to fertilize a lot so the buds get bigger but fertilizing too much is a bad thing. it slows growth. nobody wants that!

5. The most common mistake that people have in flowering is that they over fert thier plants. So like headshopgirl said make sure to be careful not to burn your plants. And just before you harvest stop giving them ferts( usually 2 weeks time). Start watching for mold and bugs too because thats when that normally happens. Try to keep humidity levels low and your plants area clean. Other than that its just basic shit that you probably know. Oh, did you happen to manicure the plant before inducing onset for better top bud growth:wave:?

6. seem to have the ferts right, not manicured it cause i wanted to see if i could grow from start to finish before i do it any other way

7. I have heard that it is a good thing to manicure your plants before you flower because the light doesnt go down that far and the bottom buds dont get the light anyway so they are not a good smoke. Plus I have seen some guys that dont manicure there plants and they have alot of crowding and it caused problems. Now they manicure but its just a noobie mistake, I am a noobie but got friends that grow so I kinda learn from them. All my friends cut off all the bottom leafs and stems about 50% or less up. They say this way the plant can focus on the colas and they grow bigger and better. They do this about 2 weeks before flowering. I am going to try it when I start my first grow.:smoke:

8. You're friends are crazy! Why on earth would you remove good healthy leaves that your plant is using to breathe and produce energy?!?! Sure, if a leaf is fairly dead already, say 50% yellow or half shriveled, go ahead and prune it. But if it's alive and healthy, you're just hurting the plant. Makes about as much sense as taking the wings off an airplane to make it lighter.

9. How about you start asking some people about this method before you start talking shit. Alot of people use this method and it is actually highly recommended. The light can only penitrate about 12 inches down. The bud on the lower stems are only used mainly for hash. So alot of people do this so the plant can focus on top bud growth and not have to waist energy on the lower buds that wont recieve enough light in the first place. Dont take my word for it though because I am a noobie but I have gotten this information from good solid resources. And my friends have been growing for a while, and I have seen thier results so I believe them.:mad:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. NYSD, see attached.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hey dude, I have the cannabis grow bible and it said the same thing that you are saying. When I heard of people removing the lower stems and fan leaves I thought that they were crazy too. But I soon learned that isnt the case. I know that the fan leaves are the primary source of energy to the whole plant but when my friends did thier first grow they had alot of problems with the lower buds and had a huge problem with crouding and manuverability. When we started listening to people that grow for a living they told us to remove up to 50% of the stems and lower leaves including the huge fan leaves at the bottom. When we experimented with this process we found excellent results. Then we started asking around and found out that alot of people do this process. It is a widely known process and is recommended by a number of experienced growers. Like I said before dont take my word for it, ask some people that have been growing for a while on this forum because that is what it took for us to listen. You do this process just before you force flowering, and alot of people do it about a week into flowering. My friends do it a week before flowering so it doesnt cause the plants any stress.

12. I agree with removing the lower leaves during flowing, the plant's finished its vegetative stage so doesn't need a lot of photosynthesis for growth any more. Getting the light down to the bottom buds will probably improve them.

Not only that but if you put a plant under stress it'll often put more of its energy into flowering, here's an article on the subject though it's not on Cannabis.

13. Still got plenty of light reaching the bottoms, so....take the leaves off or not?

14. just try manicuring a few plants and then leave the rest how they are to compare results

15. Hey man you dont have to, its not like the plants wont grow if you dont but some people prefer it and I guess some dont. You will want to remove the lower branches all the way to the main stalk up to about 40-50% up the plant. They get better air flow if you do and the plant can focus on top bud growth instead of the bottoms that arent going to be very good in the first place. You dont want to manicure too far in the flowering period though. I would say 1-2 weeks maximum. Maybe someone here can give some better advise on how long you can manicure in because me and my friend always did a week before to a week into flowering. Its all up to you though bro. later.:smoke:

16. You hear a lot of stuff. If you are a new grower don't do that kind of thing. Of course growing inside is a lot different than outside. I don't care how much you spend on lights they DON'T equal the sun. So if you are growing inside you may have to remove some to let light in. Those people that tell you to do it don't seem to mention the lack of nourishment the plants get, just feed them some more of that high dollar food to make up for it.

If you are a new grower you should think about dropping a seed in the ground and watch it grow. I will save you a LOT of money and give you a little experience. Besides that people that grow indoors talk in ounces and grams while outdoor growers talk in pounds (if you grow in the ground, not pots).

Most of my plants are at least 6 feet tall, 1 about 4 feet, 1 about 5 1/2 feet, 3 about 6 feet, 1 over 7 feet, and a couple over 8 feet. These things still have until October. Last year, same number of plants, different strains, we got over 21 pounds of wet bud. We didn't save the leafs or any trim. Year before, about the same. I DID NOT remove any leafs that weren't dead. Of course, this is outside and the sun can get to the middle.

This year I think my age is starting to catch up with me and I haven't kept the garden looking nice but here are some pictures.

20230704_151114.jpg 20230704_151137.jpg 20230704_151427.jpg 20230704_151436.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. I just realized I got caught up in an old thread.:confused_2: It's not the first time. I do things like that when I'm "heavily medicated". Do you ever get caught up in old threads? Anybody?

How did I get here anyhow?