Any tips for growing in coco coir?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Probert96, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Hello fellow growers,
    This is my second grow and I have chose to give coco a go, just wondering if anyone has any tips to help me out?

Currently have 2 fem White Widows, both one week old and so far so good,
    I am using house and garden’s Coco A&B and General Hydroponics Cal-mag

I am mixing 1ml of A&B and 1ml of Cal-Mag to 1L of water and they have been loving it,
    I will be using 50/50mix of perlite when I transplant them to bigger pots

Any tips of tricks to max my yield when the time comes would be great!
    Cheers

2. Let coco dry out a little when the roots are searching. Once roots are set though feed coco as often as possible. Can drop feed in half when you’re feeding so often.

The biggest factor for yield outside of equipment (lights etc) is how big you veg them for.9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Use small amount of nutrients to pre feed the coco brick when you soak it in water.
    Plants in coco need a little higher ppm cal/mag.
    Growing in coco is basically hydroponics so never use with plain water.
    Water often (everyday),sometimes i skip 1-2 days when the plants are small and don't drink as much water as the big trees.I have a two week old AK 47 and i water it once in 2 or 3 days with 0,5l but my Critical OG is almost 5 ft tall and drinks 2l water every day :D
    Also,coco doesn't attract bugs.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Feed regularly to run off, pH'd to 6.0, and remember you're not growing in soil. Using a 50/50 coco/perlite mix eliminates any risk of over watering and should produce fast growth for you. Good luck. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cheers guys!
    Another thing is my coco doesn’t seem to dry out, will this cause problems?
    I will be doing a 50/50 mix perlite/coco once they are ready to be repotted, at the moment they are 100% coco, am only watering every 2 or 3 days and it still remains wet?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. You never ever let coco dry out - it's not soil - it's drain to waste hydroponics.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Okay, thanks mate,
    Have read mixed things online so I wasn’t 100% sure

8. Is this a calcium deficiency?
    If so can anyone point me into the right direction on correcting it?
    Image1524127852.048922.jpg

9. What water are you using? Are you using cal-mag? Do you feed to run off? How often do you feed? What's the pH going in and coming out?

10. Using rain water ph’d to 6
    Using 10ml of calmag to 10L of water,
    Feeding daily with house & garden A&B to run-off

Unable to read the ph of the water coming out due to using ph test drops as the water comes out a darker colour after feeding

11. I assume you are correcting the pH after all the nutes are added?

12. Yes I am

13. Coco is the best good luck and if your doing 50 50 with perlite the water will be flying out the bottom of the pots everytime you water which is great you can't go wrong man. When I did it I just followed a chart on a a4 piece of paper. It's loads better than soils too. Soil tends to really hold the water and you can have trouble with over watering and root rot in soil if your a newbie and don't have a clue lol.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. It’s about 30/70 perlite/coco,
    So far so good, just waiting for the 2 girls to fill in my scrog net and they will be flipped, just having trouble with this deficiency, have flushed it and done up a new lot of feed for them, so far haven’t seen it spread anymore so fingers crossed

15. IMG_0580.JPG
    Can someone help me out with what may be causing this? Have just finished the first week since flipping to 12/12

16. Am in the 5th week of flowering and this has came up again, (calcium deficiency I think)
    What can I do to correct it?
    Am currently using house & garden Coco and cal-mag, using 50-60ml of A&B and 10ml of cal-mag to 10L of water, giving 2L of feed per day to both plants, any help would be great please!

Attached Files:

17. You would think that you wouldn’t need any calmag using coco nutrience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Oh really? I have been using it from the very start as I have been told by a few that I would need to add it if I was growing in coco

19. Mick is the guy to listen too as far as I know. I just think it’s weird that your having to add more to a coco specific nutrience line. Are you using tap water? If so what’s the ppm of the tapwater?