any techies out there???

Discussion in 'General' started by sassafrasquatch, May 14, 2004.

1. yeah i tried to start up my other computer today. did the normal boot thing but before it got to windows, it says this:
    Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
    Please report this problem as:
    load needed DLLs for kernel.
    Please contact your support person to report this problem.

wtf?! ive never had anything like this happen before. normally i can fix virus' but that was if i could get into windows. i have no idea what to do, anyone got suggestions? just wanted to know if anyone knew off the top of their head, but ill be callin someone tomorrow...

2. Yup, I've seen it before on XP systems. Caused by mismatched or damaged library (.dll) files. You'll probably have to reinstall XP to get rid of it.

3. It definately needs a reinstall. I had the same problem with mine, annoying as hell (I shut it down really really wrong).

4. if i have to reinstall, does it mean i lose the shit i had downloaded and stuff? oh and if thats what it needs, how do i perform it?

5. Yeah you lose all the stuff you downloaded which sucks big time (I'm still missing a bunch of things). I used the system restore disk that came with a friends comp. Don't just install it overtop of the old windows though, it will still give ya the same error, you have to clear the harddrive and then install it. That's why I hate XP, with the other windows I could always fix things from dos.

6. fuck! years and years of mp3s downloaded on a 56k... is there no possible way to save it? also could be fixable, not for sure that i will have to reinstall im hoping...

7. You could buy or borrow a drive, and try to salvage the date by slaveing it to the drive that has workable XP on it.

8. yea, XP can do a repair, you have to make a repair disk, I have win2k, but I'm sure XP is similair.

fuck. I can't figure it out, I think I'm too high. I've never had to do a repair, I put all my downloads and files on another drive.

good luck though.

9. True, but when your .dll files are misconfigured badly enough to get that error, a repair won't fix that. You almost always have to do the full install, speaking from experience.

10. honestly, if you want to keep your data, take it to ur local comp repair shop... and if you don't have one of them...
    ::never in a million years would i think i would hear myself say this::
    ...take it to compusa. ugh.
    your mp3s should be safe... might cost you a good chunk of change, but thats what you get for not backing up ;p

and if you lived near me, id do it for free just cuz ur from this board... i wouldn't mind if you threw a little green my way (and im not talkin bout money) ;)

.//chris

11. Sounds like some virus-like code went into your /winnt folder and went hog wild with the dlls. DLLs (dynamic link libraries I think) are collections of code that make it easier for programmers to write complex programs. They're just repositories of commonly used operators or snippets of code that the programs (or worms/viruses in this case) can use. Lots of programs you download or buy today use DLLs that come standard with windows xp, there are also dlls you need for .vbs (VB Script) files.

As far as repair, I would say either find a tech savvy person to recover your files off the hard drive or take it to a pc repair shop that could do it for you. If you're not sure what you're doing and you try to reformat, you might lose all your music and stuff.

Hope I helped :)

12. yeah thanx for all the help guys. i really do not want to lose all this stuff i downloaded, mainly because i have 56k and it would take years to get it all back... i think im going to bring it in to some tech guys at my dads office and see what they can do...then ill try my cousins uncle, which is pretty tech savy, then if worst comes to worst ill bring it in to a shop, because in no case do i want to format unless it is completely and utterly nessicary...just too much time wasted.

13. you dont have to do anything to your files this happend to my comp a little while ago.....what you need to do is get another version of xp(such as pro) and install it..... then replace the .dll from pro.this part can take a while uninstall the messed up xp and then reinstall it, delete the pro and its all good..... worked for me....... the microsoft site has some good info but its really helpful to have someone who knows what they are doin around

this is not a one day thing take your time