Any scientologists in grasscity ?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by somerandomdude, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Any scientologists in grasscity ? Just wondering ...
    Scientology is ...... questionable in my opinion. Shit would suck though if it turned out to be true ¬¬ we would al get anal probed and probably butt-raped by lord xenu.
    Discuss scientology, that is discuss (if you want to) not bash (or at least not to much). I'm just bringing this up because recently a friend of mine was brought over to the dark side, and now he's spending all his money on that crap. He used to be cool but now i've lost all respect for him, i mean i respect other religions and beliefs ... but this ??? :( a good friend was lost. Have you experienced any turnovers of people you thought were your friends or cool or whatever ?

2. Goddamnit Tom Cruise! He stole your friend. :(

Maverick FTL.

3. wait you mean normal everyday people actually buy into that stuff? i thought i was just celebs

4. it fucking sucks, since he's smart too and stuff, but he actually BELIEVES it. Like he is determined of it o_O

5. how do you discuss scientology without bashing it? yeah, that's about as retarded as worshiping something with name "Lord Xenu". Oh, noes! i don't want xenu to think im makin' fun of him & send my soul to the death volcano, er whatever. because we all know volcanos kill souls.. fall in a volcano, YOU NEVER ESCAPE THE BALLS OF LORD XENU

wtf is even going on here? what am i saying?
    oh sorry i was temporarily mildly retarded from thinking about scientology scripture.
    TOM CRUISE ++++ YAYYYY ++++ NO SUCH THING AS DEPRESSION, EATS THESE SEA WEED PILLS YOUS GETS BETTERS IN NO TIME ++++ GIVE ME 30,000 DOLLARS AND YOUR HOUSE, SCIENTOLOGY NEEDS IT FOR MY FACE! ++++ L RON HUBBARD WAS A KNOWN SCIENCE FICTION WRITER ++++ AND A LESS KNOWN PEDOPHILE WHO TOOK UNDERAGE BOYS OUT ON HIS BOAT TO 'BE IN THE YACHT CLUB' FOR WEEKS AT A TIME ++++ WHAT ++++ ANAL RAPE? ++++ SCIENTOLOGY IS A FAIURE AT MAKING SENSE :):):)
    but not a failure at making money & being grimy mother fuckers. i think i would do well in an environment like that. :)
    except they're insane crazy psychopaths constantly under investigation by counties, states, and probably federal agencies. FBI? OP SNOW WHITE? WAT

6. I didn't read a word you said, but you tell em tyrone.

7. Scientology is no more or less irrational and, to be blunt, silly, than any other religion or cult. The only difference is, scientology is the new kid on the delusional block.

Anyone harbouring religious notions other than scientology, yet still mock it, are nothing but bigots.

Thankfully, I follow no religion, no superstition, no fairytale. New or ancient. So no bigotry on my part when saying scientology is nothing but a money-grabbing fascist little cult preying on the feeble and naive. Like near all organized religions do and are (Some Buddhist orientations and Bahaism excluded).

8. truth

9. I am kinda grateful that Scientology cropped up when it did. Many people are beginning to see the parallels between these farfetched beliefs and those of most other popular modern religions.

Someday, maybe, people will begin to realize that these religions are not needed, and that all the answers don't lie in books and scrolls.

10. i really dont think scientology offers any spirituality, but im down with their story, imo its a sci fi remix of the (subjective)truth.

11. Scientology is a work of genius. Some guy found a way to get extremely rich by making up a bunch of bullshit. All he had to do is charge people for products and services they really dont need by making up fake ailments to be 'cured.' Wait, that sounds alot like our pharmaceutical industry...

12. Except that medications actually do make people better... So, in other words, nothing alike?

13. Yes, there are medications that do make people better. However, our entire health care system is based of curing, not preventing illness. They have done a study that shows exercise is just as effective as many common anti-depressants. Its all a system, we get sick by eating shitty food loaded with chemicals and preservatives, smoke cigs and drink. Why do you think childhood diabetes is suddenly a new epidemic? Sugary Kellogg's frosted flakes, cocoa cola etc.

Once sick, we are pressured by 'ask your doctor' ads on television that scare the shit out of people to think they might be depressed or a heart attack could occur at any moment. The doctors also get kickbacks so when you ask him about the drug, he is going to be more likely to prescribe it to you. I mean what the fuck is "restless leg syndrome"?

There is no money in healthy, content people. However, the heart of consumerism is the concept that people need to be conditioned that they are flawed or sick and you have what they need. This also applies to organized religion, Christianity says we inherited a grave sin that can only be abolished by giving your life to Christ. (and paying money to the church) How is that different than advertising that convinces people they will never be happy without whatever product/service they are offering?

300x more people are killed every year from legal drugs than illicit drugs yet pharmaceutical and tobacco companies are the top donors for lobby organizations such as the Partnership for a Drug Free America. Its not a drug free America they want, just an America that only consumes the drugs they can make money off.

Religion is nothing more than a tool of false self entitlement and power and people in America are stupid/ naive enough to fall into that. How can a nation vote for a president such as Bush that makes statements like "God wants people to be free, and that is a part of my foreign policy"

It always pisses me off when people say that America is "God's chosen people" or "we were created as a christian nation" and make an issue that "In God we trust" isnt on a new coin. America was founded as a free nation with the seperation of church and state. Thomas Jefferson even stated:

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes."
    -Thomas Jefferson to Alexander von Humboldt, Dec. 6, 1813.

That turned into a rant but, i feel like it needed to be said.

"Dont just rub you eyes, you need to adjust the lense"
    -Sweatshop Union

Sources for the studies:

http://www.scienceblog.com/community/older/1999/B/199901211.html

http://rinf.com/alt-news/business-n...rcent-more-americans-than-illegal-drugs/4837/

14. +rep Feeling that rant for sure.

15. #15 Jankydank, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
    I can think of a ton of vaccines of the top of my head that are preventative. Also, don't you think it a little silly to be taking preventative medication before we have the condition? With the shear number of medical conditions out there, it doesn't make much sense to produce and market preventative medicines other than those for the most common illnesses (i.e. Flu shots).

That has nothing to do with our pharmaceutical industry. That has everything to do with Americans being the fattest fat assess in the world and parents that are so out of touch that they LET their child eat themselves to death.

I disagree on the ads. It has nothing to do with pharmaceuticals and everything to do with money. Doctors, like every other business out there, are out to turn a profit. Also I've never seen any ads that are broadcasted in such a way that it will actually scare people. It's simply a "Hey! Think something is wrong? Get it checked out!" which is common sense and people (hopefully) shouldn't need a commercial to tell them that. What do you do when you think you are coming down with something? You go to the doctor and get a check up or you go to the pharmacy and buy some cough supressant and a decongestant if you know it's a cold.

Don't bend consumerism to your argument. I agree there is no money in healthy people but there is in sick people. Medications are marketed to those that are sick. Just how every other product on the market is advertised with a specific group of people in mind. You wouldn't market a razor designed specifically to shave your balls to women, would you?

I very rarely see organized religions advertising. People seek them out on there own, they aren't trying to sell themselves to anybody. Of course there are exceptions (Mormons). The only reason people are religious is because THEY feel it is right. People don't need to be sold on religion, if it is something that will make them feel better about life, or w/e their reasoning is. As for your Christianity example, how many Christians do you think will reply "Because I don't want to go to hell." when asked "Why do you believe?" or "Why are you part of the church?"

I'll give you that one, kinda. It goes back to the "out to make a profit" thing. But I've got to ad that a lot of that PR shit they do is simply that, PR. It makes them look like they care about the world, which in turn reaches the general public, whom will think more highly of that organization, then they are more likely to buy that companys products instead of another companys product which has done zero marketing or PR.

That's your opinion.

People seem to forget that Bush is human and makes mistakes like everyone else does. I'd like to see you step into his shoes and see how much better you handle things. I'm not defending him, I think he is an idiot. But I always laugh at how people talk about him like he is the anti-christ. He was just a dude that made some bad decisions and had no business in such a seat of power.

I agree.

Sorry for playing devil's advocate, I'm just bored.

16. Yo please dont apologize for posting counterarguments. I feel our society places too high of a value on people that get offended when other people say things. I could be wrong, anyone could be wrong. Thats why i like these forums cause it provides an (annonymous) venue for people to share ideas for a common good.

17. cant stand the church, but have found worthy and helpful insights in some of the literature. stay clear of the totalitarian-corporatocracy-hypnotise-you-in-to-our-cult side of it, and stick to the ology side of it, n all will be fine.

18. scientology is almost as silly as saying that there was a guy who built an arc, went around the world and collected 2 of every animal, and kept em all safe n shit:rolleyes:

in no way am i a scientologist or anythin like that but lets be real. all religions are full of imaginary shit that could never happen in real life.

19. i look at scientology exactly the same way i look at all other organized religion. it is control. control over your mind. it is powerful because by its own definition it cannot be proved or disproved. people latch on for support and comfort. by doing this they degrade themselves by kneeling at the feet of others. not in front of God, but in front of the Church.

As it has been stated already, the only reason christians and jews think that scientology is laughable is because it is new with a small following. it is based off of a fictitious book. but what is the bible? did jesus really walk on water? did david really defeat goliath? these stories, just as the stories followed by scientologists, are meant to send a message.

the overall message of the majority of religions is, "there is something more than what we are seeing, be good or be ready for punishment by some undeniable force ... have faith"

i will not deny, faith is an extremely powerful and necessary emotion to have. especially when in the difficult situations we all face in our lives. but unfortunately i feel like religion gives a sense of hopelessness to the follower. people need faith in themselves, they need the power to look into the mirror and say, "today i'm going to change things" not, "today i pray things change"

20. anyone remember this?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCbKv9yiLiQ"]YouTube - Message to Scientology[/ame]