Any one plant on power line trails?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by GreensKeeper, Mar 1, 2009.

1. #1 GreensKeeper, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2009
    I've been getting mixed answers about growing under power lines. Just thought I would see what you guys thought about GG under power lines. Do the power comp guys go out at night and steal crops they have spoted from the chopper during the day?

Oh and how about reserviors ?

2. #2 TexarkanaTim, Mar 1, 2009
    Don't know that power company guys would be rippers, but I've always been cautious around power lines. You never know when someone will be by to do maintenance, brush clearing, etc. and your grow may be found. This area is also typically more visible from the air. I would go with an area that has more concealment if it was me. Same concern around reservoirs unless they are very remote. Find somewhere that people are less likely to stumble across.

3. The areas under power lines are routinely kept clear of vegetation to allow easier maintenance. This is not a good idea, IMHO.

4. if you do it, plant them off to the side, not right under the lines.

but for the most part its not a good idea. I've even heard that back in the day the DEA used to spray shit on the plants that was bad to be smoked, but i doubt that bs.

5. I live out in the valley and I mean seclusion central and when I was out scouting I was like oh hey here is a huge clearing where the power lines run through the valley, good idea for a plot, wide open space and all. Well the 2nd day of scouting I'm out probably 5 miles from civilization and who is wandering around in the woods, well it wasn't a bobcat, it was some guys from the power company doing routine maintanence, so even in the most secluded of areas as I'm in there are still people doing maintanence at all times of the year. Stay away from open areas period. Seclusion is key, DON'T TELL ANYONE, and don't make a clear path into and out of your patch. Scouting may seem cumbersome, but would you rather have a crop or possibly a case with the local police department or some rippers taking your shit. Keep it clean, make it green, grasshoppa.

6. The power companies routinely check lines. Usually once a month someone will be driving through those rural areas... so keep it off the main path and as hidden as possible.

7. The primary method of doing maintenance inspections on remote power lines is with our buddy the helicopter pilot. Power lines are every man's public space here in America. Mountain bikers, hikers, birdwatchers, bird hunters, shroom hunters, dog walkers, ATV'ers, and every other kind of outdoorsman use them for all sorts of reasons. Your chances of pulling off a crop along power lines are slim. They can make good acess points, however.

8. Never plant on power lines if you want to keep your crop, stay out of jail etc etc... Not only do they check the power lines, they also MOW the lines too...Rather, do what Dankohzee said and use the power line as a GREAT entry point for your patches. Infact you could base your entire crop on mapping out the power lines and marking entry points on your handheld GPS along them.

9. I have noticed that the power line trails are very wide but within the area which was totally cleared perhaps 5-8 years ago, only the trail wide enough for the trucks are actually maintained. I find that there are many pine trees growing as well as oaks which are starting to take hold. The pine trees range from 5-10 feet tall which tells me that they are not doing any type of mass clearing anymore. My biggest concern is that I seen a ton of deer trails with deer shit everywhere.

Well with all the input I think powerline GG is not a good idea. I am going to try another area. I think I found a better area less convenient with much higher security. Ill start another thread called "Reservior GG help needed" Thanks for all the input I love you guy's :D

10. #10 Greenbudz, Mar 1, 2009
    Well there is always a chance they will get traveled on especially if the lines, insulators might need repair work. Also the power line trails around where I live get HEAVILY ridden by Dirt Bikers and four wheelers. The tougher the walk for you to get to your spot the longer it takes the more remote it is will ensure more security then planting along well traveled paths. GooD LucK

**Oh and what about reservoirs, what would you like to know about them, and what type of reservoirs are you interested in hearing about perhaps I can help.

11. #11 jmoney989, Mar 1, 2009
    I have done like 50 yrds into some serious wildernous from a power line clearing before and it was awesome. I pissed around it a lot and I think luck was on my side cuz no animals killed my plants
    one day one of my plants was turned over though but I just put it back in the pot n shit and it didnt die.

12. I stared another thread on the resrvior subject and I got a pic. See what you think.