Any mechanics around?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Johnny Cage, Mar 12, 2022.

1. I have a 2001 jeep grand Cherokee and I'm currently experiencing a issue with it that is driving me nuts..was hoping someone here might be able to help me

2. What's the issue

3. Ok... everytime I put a brand new battery in
    Within 4-5 days, battery is ruined and jeep won't even click when you turn the key..
    I was going to take it into a garage, and piss myself over the Coming price, but I kinda though maybe someone here might be able to diagnose
    So I know what I'm in for...I can only come up with 2 scenario's.....A...a short somewhere
    B... alternator is shot...but I don't trust myself to diagnose squat because I don't have the experience
    If it's a short, how hard is it to track down with a good mechanic
    If it's a alternator...I can sleep easy after celebrating my good fortune, if that makes sense

4. You need a volt ohm meter .
    The average 12 volt alternator puts out about 14.5 volts .
    Check voltage before stating , the battery should show about 13 to14 volts .
    Start the engine and check voltage at the battery posts that voltage should come up to 13.5 minimum AT A idea to 16 volts if the battery is really low
    You can rev the engine and see how hi of voltage the alternator is producing .

Are you sure the wires clamped to the batteries are getting a good connection ?

5. They were triple checked for fit and tightness when I installed it. Plus the battery cables were/are brand new

6. Any auto parts store will test your alternator for free while on the car

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I am confused why you are jumping to shorts in your wiring before changing out the alternator? If you don’t have a new alternator I would start there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. if you have a multi meter,the plug in back of alternator ,put one lead in there and other to ground,you should have close to 13.
    my son has a 05 jeep his went out and caught fire,was easy to change but should have froze up before fire come into play.
    same for battery,one on pos other neg should have close to 13

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Ohm-meter, disconnect battery, measure ohms reading betwixt 12v side & ground. Should be relatively high ohms reading. Sounds like a "short" not dead short, but discharging the battery over several days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. The parts store can test and troubleshoot the battery and the alternator to a point.
    And give you a basic idea what's up with your car , and even change the battery if that's the issue .
    Pretty much all automotive 12 volt charging systems are the same, only difference is how many amps they produce and if its has a R terminal ( Idiot light )
    Other then that its all about the different mounting applications.

When troubleshooting any problem with any equipment you always check the things that are easy and cheap to check first .
    Taking your car to the parts store to have the battery and alternator check out
    Is the first step in your troubleshooting tree .
    Or buy a multimeter and learn how use the DC voltage setting which very very simple and some are pretty cheap
    This one will do the job
    KAIWEETS Digital Multimeter with Case, DC AC Voltmeter, Ohm Volt Amp Test Meter and Continuity Test Diode Voltage Tester for Household Outlet, Automotive Battery Test (Anti-Burn with Double Fuses): Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement

11. Yes it's discharging the battery over several days
    EXACTLY RIGHT !!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Im going with the alternator not charging. Are you driving it over those few days

13. No I haven't drove it in 4 months..tires are shot
    I got new ones ordered

14. Thank you for your help Jonathan
    I appreciate all you guys help..

• Like Like x 1
  15. i had my boys jeep towed over here to the house,it caught on fire and his girl shut it down and just said it caught on fire,i ask were ,under the hood,hahahah so i cranked it up and awful squilling,touched the alt pulley and it scalded my hand just by a touch,had it replaced in about 10 min and done,his is a 05 i think new one was around 100 bucks.
    these new led lights will put a drain on the bat too

16. All my stuff on it is factory..it don't even have a radio in it...lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. his is all factory too,he bought it off a used car lot,i checked it out real good and even the salesman was using it as a daily driver,gave him a good deal and tried to hire me as a mechanic .
    his has ac and a radio ,but the car dealer cut out the gps stuff for some reason ,hey my old chevy aint got one either haaha
    i changed the plugs ,filters ,oil belts and alt,i know it was original just by the plugs ,man there was a electrode even in the plug it was so burnt down.
    that thing is getting good mileage now,made night and day
    there use to be a time were you went to dealer and ordered your car,they sit you down and tried selling all them goodies to you.
    all i could afford was windows down at 55 and singing to myself lol

• Like Like x 1
  18. his is a 05 jeep cherokee laredo 4x4 i think it is a 4.7 i think heck i dont know i just wrench the crap ,it all crap to me all um squeak ,stink ,plink and boom hahah
    i rather work on big truck and equitment more of a challenge

• Like Like x 1