Any jeepers out there?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by .carbon, May 10, 2011.

1. Wish I was on here a few weeks ago, I would of joined at Tuttle. A few locals are going this weekend, If I get a chance to swap t-case chains I'm hoping to make the trip. Nice ledge pic!

2. We went to tuttle on a weekend before the memorial rush, that was tits. We were the only people camping on our side of the lake. It was pretty awesome just smoking in public and not caring.

3. That sounds really cool :) my Jeep would not survive tuttle.

I've been driving it on the highway a lot recently, so at sustained speeds of 70-80 mph. It has an odd vibration that comes and goes - sometimes it's extremely smooth, then it starts shaking (not in the steering). Any clue what that could be? It seems to happen pretty randomly, although I've noticed I can sometimes cause it or stop it by accelerating or decelerating. It's not DW, I've experienced that before though. I don't think it's a tire balancing issue since it's not constant. Anyone have ideas?

4. Mine does that too. If I'm doing anything north of 75 and a let off the gas it vibrates. Doesn't usually do it when accelerating. I'm thinking it's a reminder that I need an SYE.

5. Mine has no lift though. I know the transmission mount is 110% shot so that could very well be the issue, just doesn't feel like it would be. Feels like a tire balancing issue. Guess it's a good excuse to finally doing the transmission mount, especially before winter gets here and I get lazy(ier)

6. I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty... the thing has been more trouble than it was worth. Currently my back window doesnt work, and even more recently now that door won't open. Overall my Jeep has been a money sink.

7. Probably motor mounts too, engine braking with blown mounts sounds exactly like what your talking about.

8. Alright, thanks for the heads up. Makes sense if it's motor/transmission mounts since it was least noticeable (or not there) under acceleration. What throws me off is that it feels like an up/down shake as if some tires weren't balanced. It would get pretty intense once in a while.

9. My wj does this. Its warped rotors. Mine are getting changed tomorrow

I dont do drugs, I set plants on fire and breathe.

10. Warped rotors wouldn't be the cause of these vibrations (by decelerating I just meant letting off the gas, not braking). I think TCUB is right about the motor and tranny mounts causing mine.

However, when my parents had a wj, the rotors always seemed to get warped for some reason. They must have been replacing them with cheap-ass stuff because I've had a caliper lock up and my rotor turn red, still isn't warped.

11. #811 futuremod, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2013
    I'd check to see if the tires are balanced, lol. My only hwy noise is a humming vibration, under load, only between 63-68mph. I put in new leafs and it became worse, indicating the pinion angle was the culprit. I would start with your engine mounts and tranny mount. The tranny mount can also cause a on/off throttle clunking. Same with a dry slip yoke, if your jeep has one. Start with the mounts then check the tires. 

Also, with all this gov bs going on right now, Tuttle Creek orv is closed since its "maintained" by the army corps of engineers. 

12. Great truck launch video, that thing sounds mean. One day we will have to meet up on the trail.

13. That willys will have a whole different engine come next spring. I have a 454 big block, and a tune port system for the 350 - and a need for boost- big turbo...

Either way its gonna make 600hp and/or 600ft lb of torque. ..

14. That willys will have a whole different engine come next spring. I have a 454 big block, and a tune port system for the 350 - and a need for boost- big turbo...

Either way its gonna make 600hp and/or 600ft lb of torque. ..

15. #815 9D3, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2013
    You should have nooooo problem reaching 600 with a 454 and a turbo :D

any recent videos of the willys?

edit: just watched the launch video which seems quite recent

16. Thats the most recent, as I broke another mechanical fuel pump whoopin up on some young punks ford truck. Its getting redone a little more this winter... buffing and clearing the body, new gears in the rear end, traction bars being made, and rebuilding a th400 w/ a trans brake.

Its going to b we absolutely bonkers next spring.

The 454 is a gen V big block from a truck. Factory rated at 290hp and 410 tq. Cam + intake + headers + a little magic... should put me over the 600 tq mark n/a.

The tuneport turbo would be small block style. I have a couple used motors I could blow up playing with tuning before building a forged low comp motor.

Either way, it may kill me...

17. i drove a ~550hp NA second gen firebird with the same 454... it was fucking nuts...

but back to why i came in this thread: i'm looking to build a mild trail rig out of an amc eagle. what should i do? before this i pretty much stuck with vehicles meant for pavement.

18. Are the eagles a solid front axle? I can't recall... what condition is it in? Not to turn you away from it, but depending on how decent it is, you may be better off to look for a Cherokee and be close to a trail rig factory.

19. I'm pretty sure the Eagles have SFAs, from what I remember. SFA and the 4.2L inline 6. Pretty similar setup to the Cherokee actually (dana 30 in the front, dana 35 in the rear).

20. They also came with 2 diff options of 4 bangers too, one being the old gm iron duke.

They were raced alot in the scca as rally cars, which is why I thought they were ifs in the front...