Any hunters out there?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Deleted member 97913, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Of course, I understand the ramifications attached to the abuse of something like hunting, but it doesn't quell the fact that human beings have been Hunters/Gatherers for thousands of years. While some refuse to acknowledge that fact, it doesn't change our existence on a whim.

Life is such that we should recognize that the planet has given us all that we need to survive through animals and plants alike, and we should definitely, definitely respect it as such, including the animals that we harvest. Like you said about the American Indians, when they took an animal's life, it was used to the fullest extent (even the bones were bored to be spearheads, needles, surgical tools, etc.), and while many indiginous settlers in that time and place were rapists and pillagers, destroying almost 85% of the available Bison population due to ignorance and greed, the tradition of the Indians lived on.

While even today we have people who would hunt purely for the sheer fun of it, using no meat whatsoever from an animal, merely enamering their head on a plaque, there are those who respect the idea of a hunt, the precision and skill involved, and the animal itself.

2. If they respect the animal why kill it, cause of precision and skill, thats no excuse. When we did hunt it was cause of survival. Now its a sport, they even have a channel for it and a magazine. I dont see no precision or skill in killing. There life has value to.

3. Is this an argument on hunting or vegetarianism?

Not to sound standoffish, but what exactly are you advocating?

4. #84 cspcdawg, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2008

Were are you getting the hint of vegetarianism in this argument!?!

This is about the killing of animals as a sport.

5. First off, relaaaax. The only reason I made that point was because of the fact that you seem devoted to the ideal that hunting game is wrong, which would imply that you don't eat meat, much less buy slaughtered animals from the supermarket. I wasn't presuming anything else.

Secondly, I made the case two posts ago that hunting could be considered a sport by some, but is typically used as a means to collect food amongst responsible individuals. You seemed adamant enough on your stance to force all modern hunting into the 'Kill For Pleasure' category that I seemed obligated to contest it.

Hence the 'argument' at hand.

6. Hunting whether be sport or not is still hunting. As you said before it takes prescision and skill, does not sport take prescision and skill? It isnt neccessary in this day and age to go kill an animal for food, as i said before we did it for survival.

7. Humanity is still predominantly omnivorous, and while hunting certainly isn't used as a means of survival as much these days, there really are still elements of Primitive Harvesting used today for hunters to feed their families with.

It's very basic math. Purchasing a single Elk Tag for fifty dollars and having enough meat in your house for six months to a year is much less expensive than buying meat at the Supermarket for the same amount of time. I would say the same thing about people who harvest their own fruits and vegetables... it's simply a different means of modern day survival.

8. If a family dont have money to survive and they resort to hunting understandably yes, survival. But they still have the means for other solutions to not causing pain and suffering, harvesting fruits and vegetables. But yes i see your point.

9. For those interested in primitive hunting methods, this video is not only inspirational but based on a tried and true method used by the Kalahari people to collect Kudu for their tribes to eat.

Certainly not for everyone, though. I can't even imagine the level of endurance involved in a foot chase with a Kudu itself.

:eek:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52k6FdApB94"]YouTube - Shamanistic Hunting of The Kalahari People[/ame]

10. I hunt aswell, ususally waterfowl, as I recently started and thats all we've been able to do thus far.

I own a Remington 870 express and a Benelli Nova. both 12 ga.

11. If hunting is in humane then I guess we can say the same for the slaughter houses. Most anti hunters are not against eating a steak , burger, kfc ect all of which have come from animals that have been breed , raised and slaughtered in captivity. Sportsmen and women are responsible for the success of wildlife today. There are more deer , turkey , elk, ect than there was at the turn of the century. The sucess is in large part due to the money sportsmen spend on licenses, tags, ammo, guns.....a portion of all of these things combined go to support wildlife conservation. Every one has their opinions and views and I respect that. However most should not speak with their mouth full of Big Mac.

12. For me here in arkansas its all about whitetail, with my Winchester .338 Ultra Magnum. I havent gotten any monsters this year just an 4x4 typical, was 215 field dressed. I saw a big mo-fo though back in november, was a 10 point but massive, the spread on it was unreal. But something spooked it away before I could get the shot off. And the best thing about my rifle is no tracking or following a blood trail cause that thing drops them on the spot they dont move but 3 feet, straight down.

13. I worked at a local slaughter house for about a year. I can't vouch for the larger ones that handle places like McDonalds but where I worked the slaughtering was humane, IMO.

14. i used to hunt, but when i started smoking cannabis i stopped because its a felony to possess firearms and cannabis. my dad has all the guns now.

15. I hunt for all kinds of things...got to go on a safari in africa this year.

didnt find the afro ganj tho...

16. ;)
    damn i'm jealous, I can't believe you hunt whitetails with a .338 ultra mag though that seems like overkill lol

I got a 12 gauge Remington 870 express, it's been a few years since i've been hunting but I shoot a lot of clays/skeet

my dad just bought himself a 7mm mag though so i'm stoked to sight it in

17. damn i havent been to this thread in a while... havent read through it all yet but im glad to see all these responses. i hunt traditional and shotty during whitetail, make my own longbows.

actually my dad just made me a beautiful osage bow for xmas, and i made a leapord wood glass bow reflex deflex.

both shoot like a dream..

18. and i would also like to say that if you are an anti hunter GTFO now. and make your own thread because we obviously dont just go slaughtering animals, if it wasnt for hunting i would be skin and bone.

nothing else would keep food on my table.

19. I shot 3 dough's this year lol. totally illegal...yes i know...but i dont care! I love me some venison. Dropped 3 from my upstairs window with my Marlin 30-30.

I know i dont technically 'hunt'. I sit upsairs in my room drinking beers, waiting for the flock of deers to come eat the corn and apples. I set up the pile about 50 yds away. Aint sayin much from that distance but i had 2 head shots. The other one i just went for the heart.

Only saw two bucks up there but they are to skiddish. When they hear me open the window they just take off. The doughs just sit there and stare lol.

20. :eek::rolleyes: