Any hunters out there?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Deleted member 97913, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Shimmer Man over here!

[​IMG]

2. Thats a great pic :hello:

3. Here's a picture of the one that one me a big buck contest 5 years ago, its my favorite mount. Its tynes are about 12 inches and the spread is 21 inches. That's the 44 mag lever action i used to shoot it with, i got it with iron sites at around 50 yards in heavy brush about 10 miles south west of Pittsburgh pa. I jumped it coming out of its bed first thing in the morning.

[​IMG]

4. That a Remington 700?

5. Nope its a sabbatti, very same size and dimensions of a remmy 700 though! hope to change it soon though, i would rather a synthetic stock, nice mount and rifle budda, wouldnt mind harvesting a whitetail myself!

6. I've been looking into doing some kind of hunting next year, preferably in the Big Game realm, but it's difficult to say when I will be able to find the money for the rifle that I want. I've mostly been using a small Savage .22 for small game around my Aunt and Uncle's property, but have my sights set on purchasing a Remington 700 in a 30-06 with a 4-12x Nikon scope some time in the near future.

I've been focusing all of my time on fishing this year, which isn't to say that I don't enjoy it (I love it, in fact), but I do feel like heading out west into Gunnison to try my hand at deer hunting. Of course, I could always buy an inexpensive compound bow and start off that way, but the nice ones are just so... nice.

:p

7. Durchii if you like the Remington 700 model check out the Savage 110 (If you still want a long action) or the Savage 10. The accu-trigger on the gun alone is enough reason to buy it. The Savage comes with an adjustable pull weight from 1.5-6 lbs and back-up built in so your gun will never misfire. The CEO dropped a loaded 10FP with the safety of at 20 foot and it didn't do shit. It delivers MOA groups VERY similar to the 700 so accuracy isn't that big of a difference. The main points are the stock (some don't like the synthetics that Savage makes but since your paying $200 less you can afford to get a custom Choate stock or something cool) and the trigger that differ in the 700 and the 10/110.

For a scope I would recommend a Burris Fullfield II or Leupold VXII. Spend the most you can on optics, thats the important part in any rifle.

8. You can't argue with good advice.

9. I haven't checked this thread in a few days, but I really appreciate the advice Rhythm! I've been looking into the Savage 110 in a 30-06, and the numerous reviews that I've read through have all been extremely positive.

Also, thank you for letting me know about the Burris optics, as I'm not very familiar with that many brands of scopes, much less possess the knowledge to discern between quality glass and something made by Daisy, so the insight really helps.

I'm quite glad that we're allowed to discuss firearms in this section of the forum. That rule was really trying my patience in General.

:D

10. Your tellin me. At least I can talk about my second passion now.

30-06 is a really diverse caliber and can take out tons of game but depending on what kind of hunting you want to do a .308 short action might be better, price wise, accuracy etc. You will still be able to drop an elk with a decent 180 grain bullet. I doubt your going after bear so a .308 might even work to your advantage.

11. I've considered many different calibers in the past, but having fired an '06 in the past, I have come to like it a little bit more than the others. Like you said, it's a very diverse caliber and can be used for a broad array of large game, not to mention the ammunition is relatively inexpensive.

Hell, if my shoulders were iron-laden and I had an obscene amount of money to blow, I would buy a .300 Ultra Mag. Now there's a bear dropper for you! I can handle kick fairly well, but the ammunition is just too fucking expensive.

12. Thats what I learned after my second firearm, ammo is fuckin expensive.

13. Thats what re-loading is for, plus its fun to customize your loads.

14. Yeah I know. Where I'm living at now is whats stopping me from doing it.

15. I have a couple of rifles in 30.06 but prefer my .308 for hunting deer from stands on the edges of large corn fields around where i hunt. Nothings better than put a i80 gr. slug into a deers vitals at 300+ yards.

My favorite .308 for hunting is a Remington model 700, w/tactical synthetic stock with adjustable but plate, topped with a Leopold 10x40 Mark 4 Tactical scope With a illuminated reticle.

My Xmas present to my self 3 years ago.

16. Nice.

For some reason I don't like fixed power scopes. I'm either going for a 5-15 or 4-16 power.

17. A human being. That would be the hunt of a lifetime. ;)

18. Wasn't that a plot for a movie starring Rutger Hauer. Some rich guy hunts humans for sport on his own island.

19. #40 doob3r, Sep 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
    i hunt with a Browning a-bolt, fucker has surgical accuracy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]