any glass blowers out there???

Discussion in 'General' started by 89 Vision, Jul 23, 2008.

1. I dunno just wondering if anyone else gets down on the torch

bus a bus

2. I would really like to learn.

I would love nothing more than to make bong-making my career......

I just don't see it happening.

Can't make glass and theres no real market for plastic/acrylic. No matter how dope they are, like my 4ft model.

3. I would recomend giving it a try, it's a little hard at first to get comfortable to the movements of hot glass but after a while it's all a matter of pratice and creativity, repitiion repitition repitition.

4. I dunno anyplace to go learn it around here.......

I keep looking though.

5. There's a place near me that has regular lessons, bead lessons, and lampworking lessons. I would LOVE to learn how. I've tackled a ton of other artictic ways of expression. I even made earthenware pipes (that sadly never made it out of the kiln). I just have to scrape up enough cash to afford the lessons.

89 Vision, are you a glassblower? If so, how much does a good torch for a beginner run?

6. Will they let you make pipes and shit in most glassmaking ...err "shops"??

7. Ya dude, well it all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do. If you just want to do beads you could go pretty cheap like under 100 easily. But if you want to work with borroscilate glass and make marbles, pieces, pendants, sculptures, goblets and stuff like that it gets a bit more expensive. Go to google and type in glasscraft. it's the first site that pops up. go there and you can get a good idea of what you need. Just be aware that the better the torch the easier it is going to be to learn on. And therefore the more fun you'll have. I spent 1g on a used torch and it's perfect, I can do everything I need to do, and quickly. I'd recommend Glass torch technologies, Carlisle, or Nortel

8. Cool. Also, I heard if you want to know how to make pipes and the like, to take a lampworking class. Is this good info?

I'm not that interested in beadmaking.

9. depends on the shop. There are some pipe shops that teach lessons, but mostly art shops teach lessons, in which case no pipes. i got an apprenticeship at a glass shop that made headies, so that worked out well

Ya definitely, lampworking is pretty much the term for what it is. it's also reffered to as flameworking. Actually the term glass blowing like I used in the title is kind of a misuse of the titel when referring to pipes. Glass blowing would be the italian technique gathering hot glass at the end of a metal tube. but lampworking is definitely what you want to get into