Any electricians in the house?

Discussion in 'General' started by BlazedGlory, Jul 8, 2010.

1. So today I was surfing craigslist for summer jobs when I come across an ad for an experienced Journeyman electrician, and since I've thought about becoming an electrician before, I clicked on it. They were offering $35 bucks an hour starting wage. That's pretty decent pay.

So I'm wondering if there's any electricians on here that could tell me what the job is like, how long it takes to become a Journeyman, shit like that. Probably a long shot but maybe there's at least one on here.

Peace, and thanks if you answer.

2. i have no idea but i know for sure you will be drug tested....one of my friends dad's almost set me up with a job learning to be an electrician but he knew i smoked and didnt want to risk looking bad b/c of it. which sucks cause i would stop if i knew it would get me a nice job.

3. I have a friend who is, and another who works with them.

I'm going to have to disagree with Unreal and say you won't be drug tested 100% for sure. It all depends on the type of company and where they put you - ie some sites require testing others don't.

4. #4 BigTrees, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2010
    You're in luck

i worked for an electrician for about two years while i was in college and during summer break as an apprentice

journeymen are very experienced and highly skilled electicians
    and electrical work is by far the most complicated of any of the building trades

to becomes a journeyman takes years usually

lots of guys start off as apprentices for a couple years
    there's a shitload to learn
    lots of tools to aquire
    its a long process

next they'll often head for some sort of electricians or builders licence (usually requires a course, test, and some money)

finally, most journeymen electricians work in the electricians union

unions are all different (and will operate differently at the local level)
    but their basic function in the electrical field is to make sure that working electrcians who pay their dues are covered by health insurance if they get laid off

if you're going into electrical work get used to getting "laid off"
    thats why they call it "Journeyman"
    you will work for different contractors/ builders/ companies and then get bounced back into unemployment
    your union will find you some3thing else (or you can find it yourself if you know contractors in the industry)
    and it's on to the next one

some stuff to think about:
    electrical work is brutal physical work
    you'll spend many hours a day bent over at the back and waist
    kneeling on hard surfaces
    generallly beating the shit out of yourself

i knew guys in a local union who claimed that the average life expecency for an electrician after he lefft the union into retirement was seven years

needless to say it is a hard life
    and isnt for everybody

finally you're going to have trouble finding consistent work
    electrical work is generally the most expensive of the trades
    people will forgoe electrical work over almost all else

its impossible to find work in the trades/building / consstruction now

lots of the men i worked with would regularly go on unemployment while they were in between jobs or else they would lose their houses

I worked for a "Master" electrician.
    the master and journeyman were billed out for 75 dollars each. i was billed as an apprentice and was billed out at 45 dollars an hour when i finished.
    The "Master" was a contractor. we worked primarily on old work residential construction (people's houses) but we would also work in commercial settings, as well as new work commercial and residential settings (building houses / commercial structures)

i worked 40 hours a week because the "Master" was fifty
    and lazy
    and couldnt handle it

they would regularly applaud me for being a college student
    and encourage me to stick with it
    becaues they knew i wasnt meant for a lifetime in that field
    and that it's not the best direction to head right now

think long and hard about the persuit of journeyman electican status
    because by the time you get therre (making 35 bucks an hour, often taxfree)
    you're basically roped in to the life.

hope that helped

cuz i gotta get to work
    thank god its not electrical work anymore
    because its too fuckin hot!

5. took my friend 4 years to get his Journeyman license.

6. #6 BigTrees, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2010
    oh and almost all the guys i knew at work smoked and were drug tested regularly by the union

it is easy to get around.

hell, my boss used to run up a huge tab buying fronted weed from me

dude owed me fifteen hundred bucks for trees once
    i was like..... ?? do you mulch your lawn with the stuff?

he's no longer in business as an electrician (25 years down the drain)
    so go figure

7. well i said that b/c the place i almost got a job drug tested....and all the vans i have seen for electric companies in florida say "drug free work place" or something similar.

8. Yeah, I wasn't bustin' your chops or anything man :smoke: Totally does vary from place to place and from site to site

9. Not sure about the States, but I am a former electrician living in Australia.

Excellent trade to pursue - as others have said, it is an intellectually stimulating trade, with many branches available (industrial, domestic, commercial, data etc.). It has a good balance between manual labour and problem solving. There are opportunities to further your qualifications, or specialize in a specific electrical service. It is very easy to travel to other cities/states to work if you are qualified in a trade - tradesmen are always in demand!

Don't underestimate how interesting industrial electrical work can be (complex switchboards, programmable machinery).

Hope this helps.

10. yea....id say so.

11. Yeah after reading what you guys wrote, especially BigTrees, I'm not so sure. I really don't intend to do it my whole life, as in, I don't want to be fifty and still an electrician, I really was just thinking about it for a couple years to make money for university.

Also the thing about not finding consistent work is troubling. Making good bank doesn't mean shit if I'm not making it consistently. I don't want to be constantly trying to find work like my dad, who's a carpenter/finisher. He can almost always find work but it consumes a lot of his time, not to mention actually working. I don't want my entire life to revolve around work ya know?

12. got a car? try delivering pizza.