any easy way to make a nice fixture for cfl's

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Golden Lungs, Jan 30, 2013.

1. So pretty much im not sure if I have enough space to go for a 400 watt setup yet so i may be stuck to cfl for a while.
    What im wondering is there any way to make like a board or something with a bunch of cfl's all evenly placed across it? cuz reflectors get old after a while...

2. ya you could do that

3. a year or so ago i saw on an for sale site for lights for a vanity .it is like you would see around a mirror in a dressing room so ladies can do their makeup . one had 4 sockets and the other had 8 sockets .
    the 4 socket one is in my veg room and the 8 socket one is along one side of my Flower room . you can get new ones at Home Depot as i saw them there .

i also use a power bar with 2 double sockets plugged into it so i have 4 bulbs in each power bar in my Veg room .--- Erb

4. u guys think i could do a 400 watt hps/mh in a 6x3x8 closet that has decent ventilation?

5. Definitely. People have 400w hps in 4x4x5.

Ventilation is key, though.

6. huh? you could have 2x 400w lamps in there no problem

7. or you could go LED and have no worries about heat just to get enough fresh air to the plants. Here's my set-up custom cidly apollo10 and 2 UVB florescent supplements in a 4'x4'x6 3/4' tent.

[​IMG]

8. Nicely done :cool:

9. That's just about a perfect size space. I have a smaller space than that with a 400w, probably a 3.5x3.5x8 and it's fine. If you're worried get a 150 or 250 and use cfl's for side lighting. Not as efficient as a 400 but wayy better than cfl's alone. I damn near pulled a gram/watt with a 150 when i first started. HPS is well worth it

10. lol I have effectively a 400w in a 3x2 space, and the temps are perfect. I'd be screwed without that 6" fan though!

11. ya i was thinkin about getting a 250 with the built in ballast.
    what site do u guys use for lights?

id like to go 400 but im not sure yet i just don't want it to get crazy hot but u guys are sayin ill be fine but i dn.... i like the built-in ballast on the 250 as well so i might go with that for now and throw some cfl's with it.
    id go l.e.d but those things are still real expensive aren't they?

12. No led's are affordable if you go the right route. My light was $397 shipped to my door, and then I spent $40 on those UVB cfl's which I suggest you buy whichever light you go with because they increase trichome production.

13. whats a UVB cfl?

14. people have been saying about uvb for many years but no evidence showing any advantage has surfaced

15. There's been a few people who have proved it and plenty of research behind it. Plants create trichomes as a barrier to block UVB if you put a bunch of UVB around your plants it in turn creates more trichomes. Just google it, there is plenty of literature everywhere on it.

16. #20 GoldGrower, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2013
    I'm not googling it as there's plenty of bullshit out there too. who ever said that tricomes block uvb? I see no evidence of this at all