Any blacksmiths?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by donkeyballs00, Jan 15, 2014.

1. I'm thinking about getting into blacksmithing and I just don't see any other blacksmiths being stoners Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Make me a suit of draconic armor plz

3. I do want to learn how to be a black smith so I could make knives and tools and such. But I also want to be proficient at carpentry, electricity, welding and growing plants among many other things. But hopefully one day I will learn how to do it.

4. how do you become a blacksmith...is it just some certificate or is it experience cause i done metal work before but wouldnt be considered a blacksmith..

5. umm you pretty much want basic knowledge of living...i believe everyone in the world should have this knowledge

6. #6 snoopdog6502, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014

Im a blacksmith. machinist, welder, engineer,artist, tattoo artist, farmer.

I have an old peter wright anvil 155 pounds in my back yard along with a forge.

get yourself  a bunch of brick to make a forge, an anvil and some hammers.

I find beating on a big chunk of red hot metal with a big hammer very therapeutic.

A good project is to make a knife from a rail road spike, its not great metal but a good practice piece.

7. a art that's on the way out , pity 

8. [quote name="snoopdog6502" post="19343772" timestamp="1389769969"]Im a blacksmith. machinist, welder, engineer,artist, tattoo artist, farmer.I have an old peter wright anvil 155 pounds in my back yard along with a forge.get yourself a bunch of brick to make a forge, an anvil and some hammers.I find beating on a big chunk of red hot metal with a big hammer very therapeutic.A good project is to make a knife from a rail road spike, its not great metal but a good practice piece.[/quote] what would you suggest I use as a forge? I've seen break drums and other things used and materials won't be much of an obstacle to acquire. Also have you used a gas forge? I've seen a couple that if they are built right they can be able to do just about everything.. and are they cheaper in the long run besides the initial setup costs?Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Ill stick to being a lazy cunt in skyrim ha

10. #10 snoopdog6502, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014

You can build a gas/LP forge, but mine is nothing but a brick fire pit. made so it draws more air as the fire gets hotter. All made from recycled brick. I got a pallet load of small wood peices so have used that.

I also use an oxygen/ acetylene torch for bending large parts, its portable for use where the work cant be moved and gets hot fast.. cost a lot to run.

Another use of my forge is melting metals, I can melt and cast , zinc, aluminum. Im looking to upgrade my foundry operation for melting brass,bronze, iron,silver,gold.

I have a silver casting job I need to do soon. His and hers wedding bands. I will use a torch to melt small batches precious metals.
    Ill make a video when I do them.

11. [quote name="snoopdog6502" post="19346919" timestamp="1389819881"]You can build a gas/LP forge, but mine is nothing but a brick fire pit. made so it draws more air as the fire gets hotter. All made from recycled brick. I got a pallet load of small wood peices so have used that.I also use an oxygen/ acetylene torch for bending large parts, its portable for use where the work cant be moved and gets hot fast.. cost a lot to run.Another use of my forge is melting metals, I can melt and cast , zinc, aluminum. Im looking to upgrade my foundry operation for melting brass,bronze, iron,silver,gold.I have a silver casting job I need to do soon. His and hers wedding bands. I will use a torch to melt small batches precious metals.Ill make a video when I do them.[/quote] I did quite a bit of research today and am leaning towards a coal forge now, now I'm just looking for the most efficient design to save money while also being versatile. And that video of the silver working sounds great! I would definitely love to see that, how long have you been smithing for?Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Forge building is over complicated when you look on the internet. 1,000+ years ago it was nothing more than a hole in the ground with a fire in it. So basically the same thing. LOL

I got really into blacksmithing and hot forming metal 21 years ago. Lots of big U bolts, old style hinges and handles,rivets, Huge chain links. stuff like that.

13. [quote name="snoopdog6502" post="19348039" timestamp="1389831396"]Forge building is over complicated when you look on the internet. 1,000+ years ago it was nothing more than a hole in the ground with a fire in it. So basically the same thing. LOLI got really into blacksmithing and hot forming metal 21 years ago. Lots of big U bolts, old style hinges and handles,rivets, Huge chain links. stuff like that.[/quote] woah I hope I'm adept and well skilled by 40 (I'm 19)... I don't know how else to put it I'm sorta baked I'll probably come back and give an intelligent answer when I'm not seeing little Mayan and Aztecs sitting around a hole melting gold and stuff like apocalypco and do dorado on like an old movies projecter ....peaceSent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Yea think about the treasures they find in the tombs of Egypt , metal work has been around for a long time.

15. [quote name="snoopdog6502" post="19350278" timestamp="1389852922"]Yea think about the treasures they find in the tombs of Egypt , metal work has been around for a long time.[/quote]man.... My mind is just.. manSent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. [quote name="snoopdog6502" post="19348039" timestamp="1389831396"]Forge building is over complicated when you look on the internet. 1,000+ years ago it was nothing more than a hole in the ground with a fire in it. So basically the same thing. LOLI got really into blacksmithing and hot forming metal 21 years ago. Lots of big U bolts, old style hinges and handles,rivets, Huge chain links. stuff like that.[/quote] so what type of forge should I go with then? Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. I be one! That's what my current career is.

sent from somewhere, sometime, somehow...

18. I wouldn't consider myself a blacksmith but I do work in making gates, rails, stairs, security doors and anything that has to do with metal, at the moment.

The reason I don't consider myself a blacksmith is because I also do welding, flooring, carpentry, programming, amongst various other things that I am also disciplined in, such as Electronics Engineering and Architecture.

Coal, LP, but im using wood. I have all day and most of my stuff is more ornamental like knives.

20. Psh why's it gotta be blacksmiths? Dat's racist, yo!

haha, it's awesome that so many stoners like the ancient trades.