Any advice?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Holidaze, Jun 27, 2012.

1. I hope this is the right place to put this, because I feel I will get the best answers from this forum.
    I am currently a junior psychology major (yep, just like everyone else). I have been tossing the idea around of picking up a second major, one, because I know there will be no job for me with a psych bachelors, and two, I have always had an extremely strong interest in science.

I have plans of going to grad school for psychology, whether it be masters, or phd level, I haven't really decided yet. But, I've been sort of drifting into the idea of picking up a bio major as well (I'm finished with electives, so I'd just have core curriculum to complete), and taking an extra semester, if not finishing on time. The bio bachelors would open up a greater realm of possibilities, even if I decide to just keep it at, than would the psych degree. But, the route that I'm leaning towards would be dental school after I graduate. I know there is no "required" major for dental schools, but they have biology and chemistry requirements, which would leave me completing half of the bio major anyways.

Does this seem like a logical thing to do? I really want to keep pursuing my psych undergrad because I find it extremely interesting. Any advice, comments, etc, just let me know what you know. Thanks everyone. [​IMG]

2. I wish i could help you but idk what to think about college.

I don't even know what i would do or how i would pay for it.

And i do not like owing people money so debt is not an option.

3. Go for it, hon! Psychology and biology are intertwined! The endocannbinoid system controls a lot of mental processes!

Association study of a cannabinoid receptor gene (CNR1) polymorphism and schizophrenia (abst – 2000) PMID:11204352 [PharmGKB]

How our brains fend off madness, we produce a cannabis like substance (news – 2004)
    How our brains fend off madness, we produce a cannabis like substance

On the Cannabinoid Receptor: A Study in Molecular Psychiatry (full – 2005)
    On the Cannabinoid Receptor: A Study ... - Medical Marijuana - tribe.net

Endocannabinoids and Schizophrenia (full – 2010)
    http://www.mdpi.com/1424-8247/3/10/3101/pdf

Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions.
    (abst – 2011) http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v14/n3/full/nn.2736.html

Deletion of CB2 cannabinoid receptor induces schizophrenia-related behaviors in mice. (abst – 2011) Deletion of CB2 cannabinoid receptor... [Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

The endocannabinoid system in the regulation of emotions throughout lifespan: a discussion on therapeutic perspectives. (abst – 2011) Unbound MEDLINE | The endocannabinoid system in the regulation of emotions throughout lifespan: a discussion on therapeutic perspectives. PubMed Journal article abstract

I was a biology major the first time around in college, and a psych major the second time! Both have been invaluable throughout my life!

And dentistry pays well!

Granny

4. That is Encouraging to hear!
    What did you do job wise after the Completion of both the degrees? Thank you for the information!

5. I would definitely advise it. I'm about to start my Jr. year as well as a Bio major, and I find it interesting as fuck. After getting both degrees though, I would advise you to try and become a psychiatrist. Once you have both, you should have a hell of an understanding on why people think/do as they do. You'll make bank, on top of helping people with mental disorders live more of a normal life.

6. I talked to one of my buddies who just graduated with a Chen degree... He got a job right after graduating, and advised a Chem over bio degree. Thoughts?

7. I'm studying psychology and philosophy. It's a good mix.