Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anxiety in a seasoned smoker

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by logos34, Feb 10, 2014.

1. So I've been having a problem recently with panic attacks while high and I wanted to share it here to see if anyone has had a similar experience. I'd just like to compare notes/share stories to see if I can get to the bottom of this. I just want to enjoy myself like I used to!

I've been smoking regularly for about 6 years now, and the only time I've ever had a problem was on those occasions where I ate to many brownies. However the few months I've been having more and more problems after I smoke. It started with a little nausea and a little paranoia. I chalked it up to "too much, too fast". So I started to cut back. The problems kept coming so I cut back some more. Now I'm to the point where I can't smoke at all. Yesterday I took one puff, and was on my back moaning for a good twenty minutes.

So here are a few random details:

-the "attacks" feel like panic. I get dizzy and nauseated. I start feeling like zombie (kind of an out of body experience). I get tingling in my hands and feet. If I lie down for about twenty minutes it goes away, but it can come back if I get up and try to do anything

-I have been under a huge amount of stress recently, so I wonder if this isn't related to some underlying anxiety problems...although that seems unlikely since weed is supposed to be a good anxiety treatment.

-I thought it might just be a bad sack. I recently changed dispensaries to one that sells WAY higher quality stuff then I'm used too, but everyone I've shared with did not have a similar experience (and these were some way less experienced stoners)

Anyone ever heard of this happening or experienced it themselves?  I'm tying to get in to see a doctor to rule out anything like heart murmurs or blood pressure problems. I happened to have a stethoscope on me during one of my attacks, and my heart wasn't going super fast or slow. I've been searching through the forum, but I haven't read of anything quite like this.

2. Youre thinking about it too much and youre equating smoking with panic attacks, take your mind of it when you're smoking by reading or some other activity, it happened to me and I'm fine now I just had to stop thinking about it

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. To put it lightly, anxiety is all in your head. Not trivializing your affliction at all, but we all suffer from varying degrees of anxiety. The more you feed into your thoughts, the more those anxious thoughts will grow. I've personally been smoking every day for the past 2-3 years and can say that you have to take into consideration all of the factors that are stressing you out (moving/school/relationships/jobs), and acknowledge them so they do not linger in your subconscious and cause paranoia, but don't problem solve while you're high. Realize these problems are only temporary and that your weed and your time to smoke is well deserved. Take a deep breath, put those things out of your mind when smoking. It's your happy time, remember that!! 

4. Dang I hope you guys are right! I'm in my second semester of Med school, which means I'm pretty much a professional hypochondriac. Just hearing people tell me "it's just in your head, calm down" actually makes me feel better.

One more thing, I've been cutting back a lot over the past two years. Do you think my changing tolerance might be factoring in? I'd really like to get to a place where I can smoke once or twice a week and enjoy it the same way I used to. One more thought: do certain kinds of weed trigger more anxiety/paranoia then others? i.e Indica vs Sativa vs Hybrid?