anxiety, depression and herb.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by heinrik, Jul 4, 2012.

1. I've never used mj until recently. My anxiety has been pretty brutal lately, and a friend suggested mj to me.

I started smoking on Saturday 2 weeks ago and have enjoyed it. Take a few rips off a bowl and listen to music and write. Greened out that first weekend and felt pretty out of it the next few days. Took it easy after that and adjusted to smoke less.

The next weekend was better. Felt fine the next day.

Then I smoked yesterday and made a nice day out of writing and jamming. Felt the high tapering off a few hours later so I smoked a little more and enjoyed the trip back up.

I started smoking in the early afternoon and fell asleep around 5 am. I was relaxed and happy the whole time.

I woke up at 10am feeling pretty lousy. Upset stomach, nausea, the runs. Was in and out of the bathroom until 2 before I fell asleep again.

Woke up again at 5 and didn't. Feel like myself at all. My stomach was better aside from some grumbling but I felt so damn sad. Kept crying about nothing. Finally ended up having an anxiety attack around 9 and am recovering from that as I write this.

Haven't had an attack that bad in a long time. Any thoughts GC?

2. #2 Steelson, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2012
    I think you need to see a proffesional.

Edit: Marijuana is known to intensify any underlying feelings. I assume you suffer from a lack of self esteem if you have anxiety or depression, and 90% can be attributed to poor body image or previous family problems.

Bud helps you realise the root of this problem, and often brings it right up into your face. It'll take mental strength to get over the anxiety, but that is rarely self-induced. It takes a heart of iron.

I suggest talking face to face with somebody you trust or setting up some sort of clinical investigation. Best regards.

3. when is the last time you've had an attack like that?

are you taking any medications?

4. [quote name='"Steelson"']I think you need to see a proffesional.

Edit: Marijuana is known to intensify any underlying feelings. I assume you suffer from a lack of self esteem if you have anxiety or depression, and 90% can be attributed to poor body image or previous family problems.

Bud helps you realise the root of this problem, and often brings it right up into your face. It'll take mental strength to get over the anxiety, but that is rarely self-induced. It takes a heart of iron.

I suggest talking face to face with somebody you trust or setting up some sort of clinical investigation. Best regards.[/quote]

Plz reply!
    My gf had an anxiety attack last week,before that week,she didn't smoke for two weeks. When her anxiety starts we talk it through.

So this information is true? Has it happened to you? if she smokes a lil can it comeback or calm her down?

5. depending on her initial, before-toke mindset, it can go either way.

If she wants a positive experience, she shouldn't scare herself before she smokes.

6. yea get that doc to prescribe some drugs to "help" the issues, right?

Keep smoking, it'll help.

7. Well, not entirely.

Some proffesionals break the ice by starting with,

"Tell me about your mother."

Not all help is encapsulated inside of a pill. :rolleyes:

8. don't feel like starting a flame war. but here's my advice: go see a professional. some believe they will only make the situation worse because they might prescribe meds that are more harmful than marijuana. The thing is that you can always say "no" and ask for a different form of therapy. if the person doesn't have that form, then you can look for different professional or he/she can refer you.

9. #9 Misces, Jul 4, 2012
    Best solution to anxiety would be an improved diet along with meditation. It has helped me climb back up from what I would call physiological death. Mj in moderation did definitely also contribute - Helped a lot. Hope you find your way out, It's not easy. I would talk out of experience to not go see a professional, but rather find your own way through(Only if we're talking about anxiety). Just needs balance.. and stay away from those nasty meds they throw at you. I've seen people on meds and it seemed like its the reason their depression/anxiety stuck to them. Oh and, friends and family are extremely important in those situations.

10. I had anxiety for a brief period of time, meditation frees me from my mind

11. educate yourself on marijuana more please, keep smoking it and ignore these people telling you to go to a "professional" or a "doctor"

you need strains with higher than normal CBD %s

12. Wow, thanks for all the replies. I apologize it took so long for me to get back to all of you.

I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety disorder in January of 2011. I was put on 75mg of zoloft, and tapered myself down to 50mg after about 6 months (I discussed the change with my doctor first) and while I still have panic attacks, their severity and duration was greatly reduced by zoloft.

Usually when I'm having an attack I can just talk myself through it and it'll pass after a minute or two. I know they're harmless, and all in my mind. The issue yesterday was the fact that it was so intense, and despite going through my process of writing down my thoughts and trying to uncover the cause, it lasted for nearly an hour.

The last time I had an attack that severe was shortly after my divorce. That was around the time I sought out a professional. I was diagnosed with GAD, and we discussed prescriptions. I got lucky in the fact that zoloft worked fine for me.

Aside from a touch of depression, I was told there was nothing else going no (No bipolar, or other mental illness) and to try new ways of coping with stress.

I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the fact that I'm a bit of a workaholic. I like my job, and staying focused on challenges and problem solving keeps me focused. I'm off work this week, and this is generally when the reality of my life tends to set in.

As far as my life outside of work goes, it's not really existent. I hang out with a long time friend on sundays to catch up on a few TV shows and chill, but that's it. I don't have many friends, and I don't really make an effort to change that. Personal relationships are just a lot of work for me. I have trouble getting close to, and trusting people. The friends I do have are all close, and have been a part of my life for 10 years or me. They've come to understand that sometimes I just pull away from people, and will eventually wander back. They know when to reach out, and when to let things run their course. They also know if I'm picking up the phone and calling, that I genuinely need them.

I figure it's either the fact that I'm not working this week, or it's related to a friend of mine who is a Narcotic Addict.

We had made plans to get her some help this week, and she agreed and was willing to accept it. Then she bailed. Stopped answering my calls, and left town, so I did what I told her I would in the beginning, which is walk away.

I made it clear to her that I couldn't handle seeing her in the state she was in, or trying to talk to her while she was fucked up on opiates. I've seen and dealt with plenty of heavy shit in my life, but seeing her like that is a mental image I will probably never be rid of.

So I walked away and washed my hands of it. I know it doesn't matter how much I care about her, or want to help her, she has to be the one to help herself. I can't drag myself down with her, and I fully acknowledge that our relationship can't be a healthy one as long as she's using.

Aside from having a rough couple of years with health, life, and finances I'm relatively fine. My life is usually pretty boring. When I'm not at work I just chill and read, watch tv, or browse the web and do research or random things that interest me.

I ended up falling asleep after I calmed down, and I feel fine right now. I'll probably go out and run errands to day and give the ganj a break.

I don't know what strain I'm smoking, and really know nothing of the lingo. I just know from the effects that what I've been smoking is a nice indica with a really soft and relaxing high. It was the last bowl of this type that I was smoking, which is sadly about half finished after how shitty I felt yesterday morning.

As far as the other bag, I have NO CLUE what it is, or if I even want to screw with it, lol. I can take pics of each type (One little nug of the indica left) if you guys want to take a crack at making an ID.

Thanks for reading, and sharing your thoughts. Much appreciated.

13. #13 HelloFriend, Jul 4, 2012
    Weed causes depression (after you come down), its a true story. I have been through it many times, and I have a friend who has smoked it for YEARS, and he is saying the same thing... You just need to get to used to it, it will pass in a few days usually though. And fuck those people who dont wanna admit it. Oh and the most stupidest thing I have heard is when someone says that they have anxiety or some other problem and because of that they NEED to smoke, while actually those problems came off from smoking weed in the first place, many just dont wanna admit it. Yes weed is good, but no one should never deny shit what comes with it. I think the best solution would be to smoke in moderation. For example only on friday evenings & saturdays.

14. That as been my biggest question about mj. The high has been great all 3 times I've smoked, but the come down has been varying shades of rough.

I'm not scared by it, I've been through it before, and I'm sure I'll have many more intense anxiety attacks throughout my life. Something I have tried to prepare for.

I'm just wondering if maybe it was part of the trigger or not.

15. My advice if you're dealing with anxiety or depression is to stop smoking until it's under control. It's hard enough dealing with mental health issues without adding other factors to the mix. I think it's especially important to not smoke if you are on any medication you haven't been on for a while. It can become hard to tell if it's the medicine or the MJ that's having an effect (positive or negative). Medication is not the only option and therapy can be very helpful. There are plenty of treatments that can be tried before medication is used.

Don't listen to these people telling you not to see a professional. An underlying emotional problem or chemical imbalance should be treated. I tell you all of this from personal experience. I have been dealing with clinical depression since I was 11 and it took me almost three years to become stable. I've been great for over a year now and I don't have any problems smoking. Now your case might not be as serious but it is still hard to treat anxiety or depression when there's too many variables. It's much better to be in a good mental state before you smoke so you aren't just masking the problem.

16. The first few comedowns are really rough, especially for someone who is already in a depressed state of mind. With prolonged use, these effects do diminish. In fact I am now at the point where I do not experience any negative comedown effects usually.
    If you would like to continue medicating in this fashion I would suggest coming up with a strategy to deal with the comedown. My preferred method for this if I can't afford to get -high- again is to simply smoke a tiny bit of mj, not enough to change state of mind or anything, but I find a little goes a long way in alleviating the nasty comedown affects, and since its such a minute quantity the comedown from that should be practically unnoticeable.

17. Yeah, I wasn't really depressed or anxious when the session started. This stuff seems to creep up the following day when I wake up. My Anxiety is usually at it's worst shortly after I wake up. It could just be it seems worse than it is compared to how good I felt when I fell asleep, lol.

For now I think I'll just give the ganj a break. The bowl I packed yesterday should be fine until the weekend right? I took two pulls off it, and it's nicely cornered.

I'll pick it up in a few days if I'm feeling better.