Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anxiety, and returning to smoking again: Please read and respond

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Nick83, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Hey everyone,

Let me tell you my story:

I first smoked weed at 14, one time, nothing happened.

I then smoked weed at 15 years old. I smoked for 3 years, extremely heavily, with no physical problems. At around 18, I was smoking, and I had an anxiety attack. I was with a person, driving in a car, and I was paranoid about everything. I had also been drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes. My heart was bubbling, racing, and I began to freak out.

After this incident, I tried to smoke a few weeks later, but the exact same thing happened, after only a few hits. Also, I believe it was the same weed that I smoked during the first incident.

I don't know exactly what happened. I don't know if it was a combination of the caffiene, nicotine, weed (or bad weed) that caused it the first time. I don't know, but that was my first ever anxiety attack, and from then on, I have had anxiety issues. Always worrying about panic attacks and my heart rate. Being very aware of my heart etc.

From then on, I didn't smoke anything for 2 years. Then, one summer, while drunk, my buddy pushed me into smoking a little bit. I figured, "ok, I need to try this and see if I can get over it." Well, I smoked, and didn't have any problems. Amazingly. I smoked soapbar hash, and a little homegrown weed. Nothing too strong. I don't remember much from it, but there were no problems.

From then, I didn't smoke for 3 years I think. Then, I was in Iraq, and got a little bit of weak hash. I was smoking it for a couple of weeks, and had no problems whatsoever. I really enjoyed it too. I felt the magic again.

Fast forward: I was still worried about my heart. My pulse rate would always be high, especially even when resting. I didn't know if it was anxiety, or a real heart condition or both. I was obsessed with it. I was a heavy cigarette smoker, a pack to 2 packs a day.

I decided to finally get everything checked out. I went to an internal medicine doctor in the army (a real shitty one), and I did an EKG, an event monitor, a stress test, ultrasound etc. They found I have mild mitral valve regurgitation and an enlarged left atrium. (my heart valve leaks a little bit of blood).

Anyway, I never got a great conclusion. The guy pretty much said to get it checked out every few years and take antibiotics before any surgery or dental work.

I did the stress test better than anyone he had seen. I am not in the best shape, but I can fast walk forever, I can run with no problems, and I made it through 4 years in the Army as an Infantryman, and made it through Iraq (carrying 110+pounds of gear in 130 degree temperatures, running around etc).

So, I don't know how my heart is or not. I am still worried about it.

I take Inderal sometimes, which is a beta blocker, to slow my heart down. It is a good medication.

Anyway, recently I have been wanting to get back into weed, so I got some.

First, I got some soapbar hash. I got it because I never had a bad reaction, and I have smoked tons of it. Well, I had consumed a lot of alcohol that night, and I decided to smoke. Not long after, only a few hits, my heart started to beat. I started to panic, and I felt all warm etc. I had a terrible anxiety attack and it was very scary. My heart was really out of control.

I thought maybe it was the alcohol combined that might have caused this, because alcohol can make my heart beat fast also. So, I smoked some of this stuff again, a few days later, and the same shit happened again. I was pacing frantically around my apartment, trying to stop the madness. But this time, I was having insane thoughts. I mean, like really schizophrenic thoughts. I felt insane. I have never felt like that before.

So, I didn't really know what to think, but now I think it was the hash itself that caused this. I began reading about soap bar hash and how bad it is nowadays, especially in Germany, where I am at right now. So, I blame it on that, combined with my own mind messing with me.

I was determined not to give up. I finally found some good smoke over here. Last week, I got a gram of homegrown, high quality stuff. Very crystally, with a bit of red hairs. I am trying to find out if it is an indica or sativa, but i think it might be an Indica, which is what I want. I just found out about the different strains. Believe it or not, when i was a heavy smoker, I smoked anything and everything and enjoyed it all. Never cared.

I smoked one hit of this stuff as a test. The reaction was interesting. I felt a little stoned. Everything felt alright. Then, my mind started fucking with me, and making me kind of panic, and pay attention to my heart rate. But then I had some inner dialogue: I calmed myself down and told me that my mind was fucking with me, and I need to control this. I was able to dustract myself, and after that, 2 hours went by, and no anxiety attack or anything.

See, my plan was to smoke a hit here, and then there, then increase to two hits and so on, in order to adjust to smoking again, and to re train myself, and try to get rid of this crazy wiring my brain went through during the first anxiety attack I had.

Later that day, I smoked another hit, a small one, and everything was alright.

The next day, I smoked one hit, and the same thing: I felt relaxed. I still had occasional thoughts about anxiety creeeping in my mind, but I pushed them away, and luckily, it worked.

So here I am, and this is my story. I want to be a smoker again. I have some medical issues after going to war, and I know smoking can help me. I also used to enjoy it very much and would like to enjoy it again without all this anxiety.

I hope people read this, and I hope people answer me, because I need all the advice and help I can get.

I have a lot of specific questions too, and I'll list some here:

Does anyone know any intereactions between beta blockers and weed? What about Ativan and weed?

I read about Long QT Syndrome here, and it kind of freaked me out. For anyone that knows about it, from the tests I have had, and the stuff I have done, would that have been detected already or would I have had a problem from it if I did indeed have it. (there's my anxiety, starting to make me into a hypochondriac).

What are the best strains of weed for someone with my issues? I need stuff that raises the heart rate very little, or not at all. And if there is another medication that can combat that, please tell me.

I combined it with Inderal furing my bad experiences, and I am not sure if that made the experiences better or worse.

I think this is all for right now. I will probably copy and past this in other forums here so people can see it and help me. Thanks everyone.

2. wow dude, i dont know wht to tell you. try reposting this in the mmj forum.

hope u figure somethimg out, bro:smoke:

3. Yeah man, I'll try that, but I wanted to post it here because it seems like a lot more people see this area. Thanks.

4. #4 dreaminginmusic, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2008
    You're probably smoking too much too fast.
    Have a glass of drinking water handy at all times, be well fed as well.
    Take a toke, then wait 15-20 minutes. See how you're feeling. If necessary take another toke after that then wait again. Gone may be the days of getting ripped out of your mind for you (I know they are for me), just use it to relax, no need to get blasted or wasted. Ease up, patience, relaxation. Take your time. . . what's the rush?

Also, remember, some situations in life aren't good to be high during. When you're out and about, driving, got stuff to do, even hanging with some people, may not be good times to smoke. But perhaps, at the end of the day, when all is quieting down. . . Sounds good to me. :)

Hope this helps :)

5. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mike Enslin - Stoned off bad cheap dope

6. well to give u my two cents,

i also have the same thing with the heart but it sounds like mine is much lesser. One of my valves makes like an extra sound, anyway that has nothing to do with it before probation i started to smoke weed in the summer of 5th grade(9 turning 10). i smoked for about 6 years everyday all day and never had one problem except for the first time when it was laced. After i got put on probation i remember smoking at a hotel party cuz i was really drunk and i took 1 hit thought it was gonna b too much and then blew half out n inhaled the rest, i started to bug out ) paranoia from probation and anxiety of getting caught etc) it sounds to me this person that you were drving with gave you the same paranoia and anxiety, after you smoked you bugged out the times after your fear of bugging out made you bug out again.

When i get to finally smoke again in 6 days i am not going to drink, will have no paranoia, anxiety it should be great once again

Idk i guess my advice to you is chill out when you smoke its only bud it will get you nice and high thats about
    Smoking----->Dying------>Yea... Right..

7. I'm sure some people know more about this sort of thing.

8. I had a mild freak out last May after smoking for the first time in over a year and I was scared to smoke again for about 5 months. The fact that I was scared to smoke weed started messing with me. I would start freaking out from just thinking about smoking and being high. A friend of mine had it even worse than me. I finally sat down one night and smoke a couple of small hits in the comfort of my own home and I was fine. Then I told my friend to do the same and he was fine too. Now we both can smoke again and we don't get freaked out at all. Your case is way worse than ours but my advise is to just keep smoking a little bit of weed at a time and you should be good.

9. Indica Indica Indica Indica. I have anxiety, neither gives me anxiety attacks I suppose because of tolerence but I never panic or anythign when i'm high. When I first started smoking and I got TOO high i'd get anxious.

10. #10 garrison68, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2008
    This kind of shit happened very rarely back when virtually all of the weed in North America was imported - including strains that were very strong. Once in a while somebody would freak a bit, but they'd usually be OK after some time passed. I blame these recent problems on the unnatural varieties that have been developed in North America and Europe. I use them, but would prefer the real thing - from Central and South America, Asia, etc. Oh yeah, the hash from Kashmir, Nepal, Morocco, Afghanistan, etc., was also real good.

11. I've heard of many people having this problem of paranoia when they smoke weed. After all paranoia is a side effect of smoking the ganja. When you smoke weed you should be completely relaxed and in a completely calm state of mind. If this first anxiety attack never would of happened, I bet this would not even be an issue right now. Some people have the ability to wake up, smoke weed; eat some breakfast, smoke some more weed; go to class, smoke weed in between classes, before work, and before bed and not even miss a beat of their day. For you it sounds like this deffenitely isn't the case and if it's not then you shouldn't try to push it. My advice would be to only smoke weed at times when you have nothing that you absolutely need to get done or worry about. If you are about to smoke some weed and find yourself worried about your anxiety then you probably just shouldn't smoke right then. Maybe if you know of a good doctor that you trust a lot you could talk to him. Doctor's aren't the type to tell you what is wrong and right but more the type that will help you cope with your problems your having.

It sounds like you thoroughly enjoy smoking but are shadowed by this fear of anxiety and panic. I hope you find what works for you best and can continue smoking in the ways that you find it most relaxing and enjoyable.

Hope this helps out.

12. i freaked out once too, recently at a party. when i drink/smoke i usually get really talkative and dance alot. but this time i drank and ate a brownie instead, fucking mistake, i just sat on the couch and stared at the people dancing thinking that everyone was looking at me and making fun of me for being too stoned/wasted.

just smoke again man sometimes shit just happens.

13. Hey man, I had a 3 or 4 year gap between smoking. I actually got into coke bad an ended up about 1000 miles away in a pond, then jail, but not arrested. I went schizo for like 9 months, layed on a couch thinking people were poisoning me, but come out of it. So trust me when I say I know what paranoia is. I just recently really got back into smoking. I had some health issues that got me to thinking about smoking. The first few times were pretty touchy for me... the "hey is my shit beatin too fast?" kinda thing. I'd smoke a bowl with a friend and freak out one time, and be fine the next. What I got used to doing now is just hitting it a couple times and let it be. Go back for more when you're ready. Ease into it. Make sure you are set up to be comfortable in the place you do it, and make sure nothing will interfere with your smoke time that may skew the whole experience for you.

I generally smoke when the wife goes to work at night, or I'll go ride around on the back roads. I find riding around is more calming to me than sitting. Find some soothing music to listen to, something that will keep your brain entertained, like classical guitar stuff, thats always neat. Find a comfort movie to put on if you get to thinking too much, for me thats Friday.lol

I hope this helps some.

14. I have known a couple of people go through EXACTLY what you are going through. Unfortunately, there was no "medical" reason. It was simply psychological. The way they got through it was just to take it slowly. They took breaks, and then slowly started smoking again. And I mean SLOWLY. I remember my one friend would take maybe a half a hit out of a pipe, just enough to get the taste and a little bit of smoke. As he got more and more comfortable, he could smoke more and more. Know he is back to normal.

You can try using a vaporizer too. Whenever I use one, I notice that my heart doesn't beat as fast. Hash is definitely not the way to go for your problem. It is going to get you higher, quicker, and raise your heartbeat faster. You need to get some cheap or low-power weed and just take it easy. My other friend would get those attacks just from smelling weed. He just forced himself to sit with us when we smoked, and gradually got over it.

The fact that it is mainly psychological makes it that much harder to solve. There is no easy cure or set of instructions. However, you are not alone. I have had a non-weed related anxiety attack and anything dealing with your heart is NOT FUN. It seems to trigger basic primal instincts in your body that override everything and scream "I'm Gonna Die!." That is one of the reasons why it is so hard to overcome. If you just stick with it, take it easy, and take it slow, I am sure you will be to toking condition soon enough.

15. #15 garrison68, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2008

The opinion that people with Mitral Valve Prolapse must have antibiotics before dental work has changed - they no longer do this, in most cases, and my dentist showed me the AMA report in a dentists' magazine. I do not know if the same is true for surgery. People who have had certain types of heart surgery should take the antibiotics before dental work.

There is a condition called Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome, which I have, and you probably do as well. Doctors aren't very aware of it, because it's mostly neurological, and genetic. The best we can do is learn to deal with it, and stay healthy. People who have had valve repairs and/or replacement, in very serious cases, still have the same anxiety and other symptoms even after the valve operation. It's sometimes referred to as Dysautonomia, as in a dysfunctional autonomic nervous system, which can also be brought about by conditions other than Mitral Valve Prolapse in those people who are genetically predisposed to it.

Fish oil is an excellent heart supplement, but not necessary if you eat fish several times a week. I went to a top NYC cardiologist and he approves fish oil. My Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome symptoms lessened after I took it for a while. I also take Co Q10, Hawthorne Berry extract, and other vitamins and minerals. Also, when it's very humid, my symptoms are worse.

Many people have MVP, but some of us are just more sensitive to it. Avoiding caffeine is a good idea. You may want to get a Rx for some Xanax, or a similar drug, for those times when you get panic attacks. They have versions that are sublingual, and very fast acting.

16. ok well when you smoke pot it makes you paranoid but if you just relax and dont smoke too much at one time u will just be baked and chillin so just enjoy it and dont go crazy at first (which is what im gonna do and gonna bug out)

17. i actually had a friend who had a panic attack one day when he smoked but also drank coffee that day... so I think it does have to do with the caffeine in some way