Anti-psychotic Side effect: hearing voices? WTF?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Redheadedchicki, Nov 24, 2010.

1. I decide to reveal all about this. I was diagnoised in early april of this year with bipolar 2(later turning into more severe bipolar 1). Now the reason the diagnosis is different because I had my first full blown mania episode last month.. Otherwise I have mild case.
    Now, I had taken the drug Risperdal, a antipsychotic medication for schizophrenia and bipolar back in about late july/august. I was doing okay with the smallest dosage, then when I was increased, I had an allergic reaction, a rash/hives etc. I went to the ER. During the same night, I started hearing noises. I since stopped taking the med, and I still hear voices.
    I have NEVER had a hallucination before.
    The hallucinations are noises mostly. Music, drums, children laughter(most common), gunshots, random noises. The voices are not threating or severe. They are random words, or simple sentances (What are you? It is over there, what the? etc) or sometimes screaming.
    At times when I am stressed, these voices will just keep coming back for 5 minutes straight.
    I hear them around 2-3 times a day.
    The doctors have said it was a side effect from risperdal. They don't know when it will ago away, if ever

TL: DR: I started hearing voices after taking an anti-psychotic medicine, and to this day I still have it after stopping the drug.

2. Id suggest staying off the risperdal and dealing with it to the best of your abilities

you may be better off dealing with the problem yourself than relying on medication to make it better because a lot of the shit they have for problems like yours only makes peoples situations worse for them

3. I saw your post in the other thread about this. I wish I could say something to help because alot of my cousins have taken medication for personality disorders that ended up fucking them more so this hits close to home. I would advise that you don't get back on that med and try your best to stay calm and if those voices become unbearable or too loud try to find a safe place so they can pass if possible. Also, do these noises still come when you smoke?

4. Yeah i wouldnt suggest smoking it seems like that usually makes it worse for people...

and if anything try and understand them a little better like see if there's any way of communication and maybe you can learn how to control it and make it go away

5. just stop taking it completly and hopefully in ur case it goes away, and its kinda of weird u hear voices and shit cause i have never heard of someone with bipolar hear voices....

6. I have to be on medicene. The past year I landed in the mental hospital twice.
    I am on a mild drug, lamatical. It has been helping wonders for me. I honestly have to be on the medicene or else my mood swings are all over the place.
    I have severe family history of it.

when I smoke, I hear children laughter 90% of the time. I see stuff if I am in a forest, I.E in the branches/trees and stuff. I do not consider that related though

7. You should practice buddhism or something and try and stimulate your mind

its a mental thing so the smarter and wiser you get mentally I believe it could help

8. What Are Hallucinations - Definition of Hallucinations

9. Been in therapy for 4 years, mostly for depression, but been on and off depressed since I was 11.

I have tried everything in the past 7 years, trust me, I have.

10. #10 blankblank0, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2010
    it most likely is related, cause weed enhances mental conditions and hallucinations 2x basically, but if u have to be on meds jus take the lowest does possible from now on.and i forgot to mention exercise atlest once or twice a week.

11. haha i'm not joking i get that too but i always just thought everyone had that. i mean don't you all have something going though your head all the time?

12. Thats what I been doing on the lamatical. No side effects, nothing :D
    In the past, many of the drugs have given me terrible side effects, but this med is a anti-seizure. For some reason it works for bipolar

LAMICTAL - LAMICTAL ODT - Medicine for Certain Types of Seizures

13. I hear different people talking. Mostly a deep man's voice, or my mothers or grandmothers voice. I once heard Kelly Ripa's voice before

14. oh thats good then, but dont ever take seroqekl or zyprexa those meds suck so bad trust me,i hope for the best for u jus try exercise even if the meds suck the life out of u lol

15. I took seroquel. Worked okay with me, But I was just soooooo tired from it. Like I was stoned for half the day. I was also taking lithium with it, and I gained 10 pounds in two months.

16. I have tried:
    Valium (Before I was diagnoised bipolar and had to go to hospital, it worked WONDERS, but its addicting)
    lithium (weight gain/ didn't work well)
    seroquel (tired/weight gain)
    risperdal (allergic reaction)
    ablify (Blurry vision)
    saphris (Uncontroable shaking)

17. oh the only med that i ever got that was worth taking was klonopin but like u said its very habit forming allmost got in alot of trouble by taking like 8 0.5s in the timespan of a hour in a half. but this was like a year ago though.

18. risperdal made me trip, mostly mental. i was hearing voices to do certain things, and act certain ways. it made my life feel like a movie. shit was crazy. once when i smoked weed on it i tripped balls all out visuals while driving, it was fucked up, i had to stop my car on the side of the road...

Zyprexa does nothing but make me tired. my doctor isweaning me off it right now.

19. I was on zoloft for 4 years prior to me being diagnoised. However, I was on prozac for like 2 weeks. Oh that was bad! I got EVERY side effect listed!

20. I was taking .5 valium a day and I was getting addicted to that small of a dose. my hands would shake If I didn't take it within a certain amount of time