Anti-marijuana New York assemblyman busted for weed possession

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by tabou21, Mar 15, 2013.

1. A Republican lawmaker in New York who has a record of voting against medical marijuana legalization has been arrested and charged with possession of marijuana.

State police said that a suspicious odor was noticed in Assemblyman Steve Katz's vehicle when they pulled him over for driving around 80 mph in a 75 mph zone at around 10 a.m. Thursday morning.

“After noting the odor of marijuana, a New York State Trooper found Katz in possession of a small bag of marijuana,” a statement from state police said, according to the Times Union.

Katz was given an appearance ticket for having less than 25 grams and is scheduled to appear in Coeymans Town Court on March 8. He also faces charges for speeding.

Last year, the assemblyman voted against a bill that would have legalized medical marijuana in New York.

Katz' office said that he was expected to release a statement later on Friday.

Anti-marijuana New York assemblyman busted for weed possession | The Raw Story

2. What a fucking asshat. I'm happy I live in California

3. a politician caught being a two-faced back-stabbing profiteering prick that thinks they are above the laws they create...imagine that...

4. Hell, isn't that a requirement these days?

Ever notice that politicians and sociopaths have many commonalities?

Too bad the law will not treat him the same as the rest of us! :devious:

5. So he likes to burn, does he?
    Too bad it will be in hell.
    Karma's a bitch.
    He should be sentenced to a tattoo across his forehead: "HYPOCRITE."
    Preferably with a scarlet "H."

6. Whenever you are holding, you always drive about 5 mph UNDER the speed limit, stay pretty much in the slow lane and obey ALL traffic laws!

Hippies had this down way back in the 60s! :cool:

However, I do think he may have been "set up" and someone ratted him out (in this case, I'm not that upset about it :cool: ). Going 5 mph over the speed limit is "normal" in California on I-5! I have no doubt that Katz bought the pot and uses it, but I think he may have an enemy who dropped a dime on him, saying he was holding at the moment! :eek: The cops used his minor speeding as an excuse...and it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! :laughing:

This ought to be fun to watch over the next few weeks! :D

Granny :wave:

7. i agree sounds like a set up but in this case im pro set up

8. Lol fuckin pussy!! Karma is a motherfucker lol. What a 2face piece of shit.

9. Saw it in the local news on Saturday and it stated it was a 65 MPH zone not 75. Not sure which source is correct, but it would make more sense if it was a 65 zone.

10. Hey granny I think you got it it a but wrong. People go at least 15 over on the I-5 haha :wave: I always try to keep it below 80 in California and that gives me a fair amount of luck with the boys in blue

11. I have heard from 5 cops in their day here in Wisconsin (I have an ex detective and a current officer in my family as well) and they all said the ONLY reason they would ever pull someone over for doing under 7 over (that sounds weird) is if they are a known pimp, drug dealer, or someone that looks up to no good, so I would have to agree with granny's statement

Cops generally are too lazy to pull someone over for going 5 over because they will have to fill out paperwork and all that bs. I hope that this guy gets put through the full extent of the law that myself and others have gone through for petty possession so he can learn what a crock of crap prohibition is. Too bad our politics and criminal justice system is all a popularity contest nowadays so I am sure the arresting officer will get a slap on the wrist for not letting this guy go and the politician will get the charges dropped over some kind of "technicality" or some crap. Oh well what can you do

12. State speed maximum in ny is 65.
    I never seen it higher than that.

13. ahahahahaha fucking hypocrite.

14. thats gotta be upstate. LIE and all highways and parkways on the island are all 55

15. Just a follow-up!

Anti-pot GOPer in New York takes plea deal for possession charge - Salon.com

New York's Republican State Assemblyman Steve Katz will have his pot charge wiped out if he completes twenty hours of community service and keeps out of other legal trouble, according to a plea agreement.
    From The Journal News:
    In the deal announced Thursday, Katz received a lesser parking ticket and an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal, which would result in the marijuana charge being thrown out if he finishes the community service by the end of June and doesn't run afoul of the law for up to a year. He did not appear in court Thursday, leaving it to his attorney to formally enter the plea. Katz did not return a call for comment.
    Katz, who was pulled over for speeding in March and then charged with pot possession, sits on the Assembly Committee on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse, and also happens to have voted against legalizing medical marijuana in 2012.

If YOU got pulled over speeding and the cops found you smelled of marijuana and possessed "under 25 grams" of marijuana, do you think YOU would get "20 hours of community service and don't get caught again" as YOUR sentence? :confused_2:

Granny :wave:

16. 1 down, many more to go.

17. Sounds like a good story for 60 minutes. I want to see that guy answer some questions.

18. I say lynch him.

19. what a scumbag. The question is will he change his position?

Im all for being reasonable in the courts, but they shouldve nailed him to the wall just on principle. Im assuming he is still in office? Nothing has changed there?

if you have a well know position, which you've publicly voted and fought for, and you are found to be breaking said law, you should face the full wrath of your own doing. Not cheat your way out of it.

disgusting.

if new york is willing to make amends for a hypocritical liar that cheats his way around, shouldnt it be willing to make the same ammends for it hardworking tax payers?

20. Funny thing about this is I don't know of any places in New York with a 75 mob speed limit.
    He was definately going faster in a slower speed limit. Just didn't want to make it look so bad