Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anti-Depressants and Weed

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by ArmoredTurkey, Feb 19, 2012.

1. As some people may be familiar with, having anxiety/manic depression and smoking weed does not always have the best long term outcome. Not for me anyways. I used to be able to smoke with my friends and have the best times, but eventually the more I got high, my mind and rheumatic thoughts took over and it's almost rare for me to get high without having constant troubling thoughts anymore. I do have the option to take anti-depressants (zoloft), I was wondering if anyone has had similar expirience with what I'm talking about and if taking meds would improve the qualities of being high (and "sober" of course) so that I can respect weed as something to chill out with, not a substance that causes my brain to go ape shit, like it was before.

2. I have anxiety like you. Just recently I got back into smoking my system of doing it was I would take one hit, wait 5 minutes or so and take another. This slowly and controllablly raises your high. But uhh as far as meds go I am prescribed cymbalta and I have been taking them on the weekends (when I smoke) so I don't know how they react. I googled it once and most people said it will just void the meds.

3. I'm on Cymbalta too!

How is it working for you? It's actually working for me. I've never had luck with SSRI's or SNRI's until now.

And I find my need to smoke going down. And when I do smoke, I get retarded and I've been smoking for almost 20 years.

Cymbalta is the shit. Zoloft did nothing for me, and when I would smoke on those (SSRI'S), it would make things worse.

4. I'm very happy to hear that. I suffer from derealization and that shits intense I just started on it like a week ago so I'm not sure how it works :mad: but o well.

5. I'm currently on 20 mg of prozac for anxiety/depression/panic disorder, I smoke a couple grams of high grade a day. I was like you where I used to be able to smoke quarter with my friends and just have a great time, But eventually I couldn't even smoke a bowl without terrible feelings of impending doom, I still continued to smoke everyday despite these feeling because I wasn't able to eat or sleep without the ganja. So about a year ago now I starded on prozac 10mg and eventually moved to 20mg, After a couple months of being on the prozac I could smoke again without too much anxiety. I'm not saying it'll be them same for you though, everybodies different. The only way to find out is to try for yourself, good luck man.

6. I have suffered from severe depression and anxiety episodically over the past 5 years. I was a moderate toker prior to this, however with the onset of my depression came very intense panic attacks whenever I would smoke. Having been untreated for my anxiety and depression I stopped smoking regularly for 4 years. Occasionally (Maybe 6 times a year) I would end up giving it another shot, and every time I would experience the same type of panic attacks. Last year I began taking 20 mg of Citalopram HBR daily, and since have begun smoking regularly (Daily for the past 4 months), without a single panic attack. As others have said though, everyone is different. I have had great success overall with the Citalopram, I have since reduced my dosage to 10 mg daily and have found many therapeutic mediums for dealing with daily depression and anxiety. In my case decreasing caffeine and nicotine intake, eating healthier, exercising daily, drawing and painting, monthly therapy sessions, and the sweet leaf were all big factors towards increasing my quality of life.

Best of luck brother.

Live, Love, and Smoke Weed.

7. Dude - what is derealization like? I can't seem to comprehend it. :eek:

8. [quote name='"iMPREPREX"']

Dude - what is derealization like? I can't seem to comprehend it. :eek:[/quote]

its one of those things you need to experiance to really comprehend

9. I've been on Citalopram for about 4 years, and I've been smoking weed regularly-ish for about 8 months. Herb totally and completely helps me, alleviates mild depression and anxiety, and so far is awesome. I'm really hoping I never get panic attacks from smoking.
    I am slowly decreasing my dosage of Citalopram so I can be off the meds (it really messes with my sex life), hopefully my experience with weed won't change as I get off the SSRI.

10. Like living in a dream constantly.

11. Hey, I'm also on meds and smoke... I find that when I smoke I usually have more violent mood swings in the days following, but I'm pretty mellow while high (first time I had pot brownies I was panicky but it hasn't happened again in the years since then).

You said you were thinking about Zoloft... that's an antidepressant, not a mood stabilizer, right? Don't you need a mood stabilizer if you're manic/depressive? I'm on Lithium in addition to antidepressants (Welbutrin and Cymbalta).

12. after stopping the citalopram was when i had the hardest time getting a woody