Another one bites the dust..

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by tongues, May 27, 2010.

1. Madagascan bird declared extinct - CNN.com

The Alaotra Grebe was known to chiefly inhabit Lake Alaotra in Madagascar. There have been no observations since 12 were seen at the lake in 1982 and two in September 1985.

BirdLife International reported that the species, once found on Lake Alaotra, the largest lake in Madagascar, declined rapidly due to carnivorous fish being introduced to the lake and the use of nylon gill nets by local fishermen.

Unfortunately, I doubt this to be the last extinction caused by man :(

2. Its called natural selection. Damn why do we think we are so damn important. When we go extinct it will be because we were not fit to survive anymore its as simple as that?

3. I am seeing the profile of a creature's face in the bud on your signature.

Behold, evolution:

[​IMG]

4. #4 BluntRolla, May 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
    we are the dominant species so we dominate.humans can only use the resources givin.maybe we just have to many people taking to much.im glad to say that I'm not one of those people and if I have to suffer for other peoples actions than I wouldn't be the first.so I can careless about that bird because it was virtually nothing.

5. I'm sorry, it's not natural selection when man walks in and dumps flesh eating fish into a formerly in-harmony ecosystem.

There's another word for it: stupidity.

6. Yeah and choppin' down rainforests is natural selection too right? Stupid ass trees don't know how to get out the fuckin' way. :rolleyes:

7. I'm sorry you guys have been taught from day one that everything man does is evil, especially if it is about the environment, but in all honesty shit dies everyday. I don't see you crying for the millions of different species of bacteria that you don't even know about which have gone extinct.

If this were actually about the extinction of a species of animal there would be more crying about the animal and less hating on humanity. You guys just like to be angry at people cause people are evil :mad:. Rawr.

8. Werd. Nobody has mentioned the actual impact on the earth this one species has. Yeah it sucks it's extinct, but why is that one so much more important than the other animals that have taken over? Sure, they were introduced by man, but life is life, isn't it? Besides, it's on Madagascar, isn't that place known for being pretty much isolated from the mainland, kinda like the Galapagos? I doubt this one bird that hasn't been seen for longer than I've been alive will really have any impact on the world as a whole.

9. Yeah this species hung out at one lake on one island. Although it was because of human meddling, its extinction, like most, is pretty insignificant.

However that is no reason to defend mankind at large. People are obviously making a mess of basically every aspect of nature and there's no denying it.

Mankind could have done a lot better for itself, not to mention life in general. We all fucked up, but we shouldn't be hard on ourselves because its a natural mistake to make. The only bad response to the world situation right now is to preach that what we are doing is right.

People who are unhappy with what we have done aren't brainwashed, it really only makes sense the other way around.

10. Another species to add to the list of the other 99.9% percent of species that are now extinct.

My condolences.

11. well.. the same would go for people who use cars,lights,etc... Do you see where I am getting at?

We should tell people to stop moving in houses then.

We are all part of the problem people.

Thats just the way things are. Sooner or later everything will become extinct because all of the farms will not be able to support everyone in the world. It will be an interesting time when that happens.. that's for sure.

12. Yes, extinctions do occur naturally and some might argue that there is nothing to worry about from a few species going extinct here and there.

But in the last couple of centuries, extinctions in tropical regions have increased 1,000 to 10,000 times.

The current time we live in can be considered a mass extinction. The only other mass extinctions were 65 million years ago, with the death of the dinosaurs and 250 million years ago, when 80% of marine life went extinct.

Species are going to continue to go extinct at an alarming rate over the next century, and I for one do see this as a pressing issue.

13. How long do you think that will take for 90% of the animals on the earth today to go extinct?

14. Like yunggrassmoker said we very well might be undergoing another mass extinction...it could be 100s or 1000s of years before its over, if it is actually going on, but this is a fairly short time-frame in the entire timeline of life

15. hopefully it happens in my lifetime. The faster animals become extinct, the sooner the mass of people will see what is happening.

almost makes it sound like I should kill animals for human enlightenment... lol.

16. do you mean introduced as in brought to the public eye or introduced as in intelligently designed?

17. Neither.

18. question if we are only just now discovering more and more new species how do we know that it isn't going at the same normal rate it just seems like it's increasing because we are seeing more and more of what's actually out there?

point being we still how no idea how many species are really on this planet so we can't really say what the normal rate of extinction is let alone blaim one source for it.

this idea is just ridiculous. a mass extinction event is where most of the worlds animals die off in a short period of time. If we were going at that rate I'm fairly sure there would have been a list of animals that just went extinct rather than one species of bird on an isolated island.

mass extinction = planet wide not an area, otherwise we would have called every place more than 5 bombs have exploded a mass extinction event and that's not the case at all, even if you want it to be. And just a side note there were several mass extinction events in the history of the planet the two I remember most about both involved super volcano's erupting during the time. Silly mother earth killing off all those species of animals, I bet she was just trying to vomit out the evil beings living back then too right?

19. Yeh, I was wrong about the mass extinctions - there have been at least 5 in the history of life on earth.

"There is little doubt left in the minds of professional biologists that Earth is currently faced with a mounting loss of species that threatens to rival the five great mass extinctions of the geological past. As long ago as 1993, Harvard biologist E.O. Wilson estimated that Earth is currently losing something on the order of 30,000 species per year - which breaks down to the even more daunting statistic of some three species per hour. Some biologists have begun to feel that this biodiversity crisis - this “Sixth Extinction” - is even more severe, and more imminent, than Wilson had supposed."

Source: The Sixth Extinction (ActionBioscience)

I hate to be an asshole about this - but I have scientific evidence to prove you are wrong and I'm right.

20. You're scientific evidence is not proof of a sixth mass extinction, but it does suggest we're in one. Right now its still debatable, but I tend to agree that it is currently underway.