Another MG Time Release Victim

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by VolcanoViceroy, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Well I read tons and tons of info, then eagerly bought supplies and germinated some bagseed for my first grow. Only days into the process did I begin to run across threads where MG was described as a bad soil. Doh, guess I was too eager and didn't read enough.

Right now i have 12 sprouted seeds in small peat pots under 2 cfls (each approx 1100 lumens) and an mg/hps 400 watt conversion light is on its way in the mail. When they're ready, the two healthiest plants will be transferred into two-3 gallon buckets, unless I can get my hands on more buckets. So far, only the peat pots are filled with the evil .21-.07-.14 MG time release soil, so my plan is to fill the buckets with a friendly organic soil and hope that after the transplant the relatively small amount of MG in the peat pots won't do much harm.

1.) Is this the best course of action available?

2.) How tall should i let the plants get before transplanting in this specific case?

3.) Any recommendations for online stores that will ship nutes and organic soil fast? Long story, can't go to any local stores.

BTW, great community you guys have here. Whenever I have my first successful grow it will be thanks to all your helpful guides and threads, Thanks!:)

2. Although I dont know the long term effects of the MG time release ferts. I have a similiar soil from walmart that basicially IS miracle gro renamed with time release ferts. Depending on when they release it may not kill your plants. After 3 weeks the time release capsules broke open and started to burn my plants. But all of them recovered after that time.

3. your game plan is fine and you should be ok , however , re-think your pots....going to larger sizes... 3 gal bucket .. will aslo cause issues.... the roots grow out after the transplant horizontally mostly...when the root hits the side of the bucket it turns down to avoid the abstruction and grows straight to the bottom where they will mass up. Now you have a plant that thinks its root bound with the majority of the soil (middle) totally bypassed.

keep the containers small and allow the plant to ALMOST outgrow the contanier, transplant and she will be happy to strench her feet, and you will see a new growth spurt,

work your way up to your 3 gal or 5 which is what I use ultimately

addendum:
    I also see, this is bag seed , thats good!
    Id also suggest you dont worry about the ferts so much this time around, just get the plant to bud without killing it .seriously the majority of the posts with plant problems is user error, and everyone spends the next 3 weeks giving the dying plant diagnostics, flushes , nutes ,transplants etc etc etc
    Check your PH and If you just water with small amounts once a week till you get the feel of what she wants ....try to keep the soil dry, learn LST manipulation or topping/fimming, dealing with pests and you will learn far more about growing this herb, "Be At One With The Plant GrassHopper" and next go-round, start adding ferts , foliar feeding or what ever the nursery wants to sell you

4. Thanks for the responses everyone. Just ordered a pH reader, some 5 gallon pots, and some organic soil to fill the 5 gallons with for when the peat pots go into them.