another dumb q.....

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by euphoria526, Apr 14, 2020.

1. how long does it typically take for the coco to dry out when rehydrating bricks?
    im using CANNA coco bricks, broke a brick in half as to only use 10L, put it in my 18 g tub/container and ran water to it until its a bit of a slurry. It's sitting there and ive mixing it up every hour or so, water doesn't seem to appear to be lessening any. I started maybe 2 hours ago and its in a slurry just soaking up what it can. should I just leave it overnight and check in the AM, or should I get another container and grab all the heavy stuff with my handstand toss it in there to dry a bit? I am a coco noob as you guys know, so I am asking out of genuine curiosity. I do not have an exact water amount I throw in, just wanted to make sure it was nice and hydrated before I start germination.
    I want everything %200 ready before I germinate. just a seamless process lol

2. Scoop out what floats and put it in another bucket.......throw out the sludge in the bottom.

3. Let the water drain off.

4. that's what im leaning on, there technically shouldn't be too much smaller particles, CANNA and all, but you've worked with a ton more than I have for bricks lol. so the coco cludge at the bottom won't clog any pipes? im in an apt building
    there isn't anywhere to drain, slid container, not drainable.

5. ok, grabbing another container and about to scoop by hand, still just worried about clogging shower drains ro toilet pipes

6. Hon, when a smart person doesn't know something, they ask someone who does know. NOT asking those questions, is what is dumb!

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. that is very true, especially since im venturing in an area that ive never tried with coco. lol
    going to start scooping and squeezing the big stuff, still just curious/ worried about dumping the residual stuff down the drain/ toilet

8. Id use the toilet.

9. I certainly wouldn't risk dumping it down the drain all at once! Normally, in small amounts, it would be OK. But with the toilet paper shortage, a LOT of people are flushing stuff they shouldn't!

Frankly, I'd just pout the "sludge" through an old pillow case, let it drain, and toss the whole mess in the trash- maybe put it in a small bag in a trash bag, so nothing shows in the trash.

Granny

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ill have to check with the lady, not sure if I have a pillowcase I can spare honestly, that's why I am doing this by hand lol I could just potentially bring the tub down to the garage and drain through there, im right next to the elevator in y building so that's an option also.

11. ok got MOST of what I want from the hydrating, what left I can't even get a handful of stuff to squeeze, so I think im at the limit. now the stuff that I squeezed off and tossed into separate tub, should I go through that a second time and squeeze out what moisture is left, or just leave it and ill be fine to mix the perlite?

12. What’s left is fluffy broken up coco, seems to still have a tiny bit of moisture, but I’d be hurting my hands if I tried to squeeze any more out, going to add some perlite next.

13. is the liquid you squeeze out real dark? Some coco comes really salty. I’ve tested bricks with as much as 3000 ppm in the rinse water. That would burn up a seedling very quick. That’s why I stopped with the bricks and started using Royal Gold Tupur from my hydro store.

14. hmmm, not sure how to diagnose that lol I tried squeezing some out, looked a little dark when it was dripping, but when it hit surface it was clear. most of what I saw was clear to drip. ive also been mixing it around at least once an hour so far, and have not put perlite in yet. prepping solo cups also.

now I only have room for 2 plants, 2 gallon cloth pots, getting a scrog net in there as soon as it gets in also. I know I really should be germinating more than 2 at a time. BUT (big but here) in my experience I am 10 for 10 germinating from seed and getting female plants.
    also my ppm/ec meter is getting here Thursday, so ill probably be germinating tomorrow night so I can get the EC readings.....

15. check the ppms of your rinse water after filling a pot before you plant anything.

16. ill do that when they get here Thursday/friday. in the meantime, im still going to be mixing it by hand every so often to help dry it out. then ill add perlite tomorrow morning.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Why dry it out.

18. im just worried its TOO moist, but it'd not sopping so I guess I could mix everything together now and ill be good. its sitting in an 18 gal container with a lid on it right now and ive been hand mixing it. but I guess your right it doesn't need to be dry, dry lol ill mix some penlight in it and prepare the solo cups. I also don't have the ppm/EC meter yet, so I want to wait for that so I don't burn these babies

19. For sure wait for the meters. I dont use perlite or skim the sludge off my brick coco. I used botainicare, liked it. Hydro crunch coco was pretty nasty but working.

20. yeah, this is CANNA coco brick, so im pretty sure its good. found good reviews. also read it wasn't necessary to skim, but I don't have a strainer or pillowcase or anything, just did it by hand. looks like it'll be more than enough for 2 pots and some solo cups.
    so its in a container, covered. mostly so my cats don't use it for kitty litter I the meantime lol