Another 1st Grow Thread

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MephistoX, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Hello all. This is my first grow attempt.

I have Bubba Kush seeds from a pal. They were under floros for 3 months. I now have a 1000 watt HPS and have given them a 12/12 photo period under it for the past 3 days.

Growing space is a 20x15 room w/ 12foot ceilings. The plants are on two 6'x4' tables in the back of the room.

I dunno, but everything looks decent enough to me so far. At first, I thought they looked a little bushy, but I guess they'll stretch out and look more like the end product after a few more weeks of HPS and 12/12. They are 9" at the shortest and 11.5" at the tallest.

The one in the black pot had different soil than the others, as an experiment. It grew, but is less full than the others.

Oh yeh, under the HPS, the leaves started to grow hairs and get sticky. My hands smell after i touch them. I'm thinking this is a result of higher resin production to protect against the HPS after having only had the soft, cool light of floro until now.

If I had it to do again, I'd not use the 10" pots I have there.

Attached Files:

2. Welcome to GC... looking good!! Very healthy plants, but really compact. Yer veg growth was prolly limited by pot size, I'd guess. And prolly too late to transplant now that yer flowering. The stress could really affect the bud growth, I've read.

Keep us updated as the flowering progresses. GL!! :D

3. Wow those are 3mo old? They look tiny...

4. Welcome to the city dude :)

It's looking like a good setup so far. Under a 1000w bigger pots are gonna be your friend. If you are running into space issues you can always look into grow bags.

The space between your nodes is nice and tight, which tells me you're doing an excellent job giving them light. I wouldn't worry to much about how compact they are, compact plants make dense bud :)

5. Yeh, They are small. Some had pots that were too small, then didn't grow much more when I xplanted. They've also only had 35-40w floros til now.

I have 8 fewer plants today, anyway. They turned up male this morning. Now I have 8 extra 10" pots to start growing more plants in. I'm either going to wait until this grow is over, or just put em under the light and let em go straight to flower, so that I dont waste the lumens. Can't wait til my skill level is high enough for cloning so that I don't have this kind of let down.

6. BTW, I read a lot about what to do w/ the males. I ended up vaporizing that ass. I know there a debate as to whether or now males are potent. My 3moth old males, dried n ground up are enough to change my perception of reality. For reference, I'm low tolerance, but my wife isn't and the males were enough to calm the anxiety problems we both have.

1 bag and I felt ease...bags 2 and 3 were pure fun. Now I'm not so mad at them for being males :)
    I'll inhale all their asses!

7. got high off a male after only 3 days of flowering ? hmmm

Also mj plants cant flower till cotyledons have fallen off, which takes about the 2 week mark, youd be better off getting bigger pots and replanting those other plants, mj can be trasplanted without causing a large amount of stress to the plants, just be careful, and have everything set up properly.

8. Ok. Thx for the help Grim. I'll be sure to transplant the seedlings into real homes before 2 weeks goes by. The HPS is such a big jump from the measly t12s and 35watts that I had going before.

I found that my wife had snuck some of her plants under the light too, lol. The hydrangia is almost growing faster than the Bubba.

One thing I noticed was that w/ the light too low, the plants grew more slowly...Still faster than the floro, but not as fast as when I moved the light away. The leaves had this dry, almost airfilled look and feel to them.

9. If by growing u mean vertical height, u may have been seeing stretching. When the lights are higher, the plant stretches up to get as much light as possible, when its down at the right height theres no need for this, and the distance between the nodes is small, this is what your looking for. As for the looking dry and airfilled, theres a limit to how low they go lol. You dont want to burn your plants, a good rule of thumb is place the back of your hand to the lights, if after a minute it starts to feel like its burning u, its burning your plants, this is only a rule of thumb though, really young plants and mature budding plants i find need particular looking after as regards heat of lamps.

10. BUBBA KUSH !!:hello::hello::hello:

11. NOOOO!!!!!

Turns out that what I was looking at to identify males was just leaf support buttress or something!

I killed maybe 8 plants that had this :( I decided to keep the four plants that had "some" pistils, thinking they were hermies.

These four survivors turned out to be pure female, the lumps being support for the fat branches they got when I turned the HP on.

I just realized today that the plants I killed first may have been in fact, females... the biggest and brightest of them all, no less.

Let this be a warning to others. Wait until you actually get little balls. NOT a bulge at the base of the stem and leaf connection.

12. all I gotta say is "der der der". but now you are smarter for your future grows.

13. Live and learn man...that's why I still have the one I suspected to be male. I only thought it was male because it has yet to show preflowers, I've been on 12/12 for a few days so I should see some definitive signs soon

14. Im thinking of reveging the 4 remaining plants that show pistils, and adding 5-8 seedlings. I want to get the most out of my 1000watt that took me so long to get.

Or is it better to just let the 4 plants continue into the flowering stage, so that they don't get stressed and hermie up?

15. I checked some things and it looks like since they weren't in flower for more than a couple weeks, going back to veg lighting (24/0) should be ok.

16. whatsp with the final product and or are you starting a new grow