And people say History Majors are easy!

Discussion in 'General' started by Ypres, Dec 5, 2008.

1. To all of you who think that a bachelor's in history is an easy major to receive (I don't know if this is widespread but most of my family seems to think so): I am now writing a 10+ page paper on the Wheat harvest of 1873 in the vicinity of Butte County, CA. I'm only kind of whining because I just got back from break where my entire family bashed college professors (my future job) and the entire idea of a bachelors in history. It gets ridiculous to me sometimes that many people don't think degrees, let alone jobs, in the arts or teaching are meaningful to society. People will always need teachers...I dunno, makes sense to me.

2. So fuck em then

3. Can you really teach on a college level with only a BA?

I thought you at least needed a Masters, if not a PhD...

4. Do what you like man. I only say it because I hated subjects that dont relate to my personal life or interests.
    Who cares if they dont think its meaningful, if you do, thats the important thing.
    People always question me as to why I would rather sit home and write, rather then go out drinking, drinking isnt going to shape my future, writing will.

/Aspiring journalist.
    //Two articles published by the local city paper, and I now have an 'in' to a career that I very much enjoy doing, rather then the mind numbingly boring work I do now as quality assurance supervisor.

5. chroof

6. I've never heard anybody say that history majors are the easy....

Everyone I've talked to says it's one of the hardest majors.. So many papers and reading...

Who the fuck are you talking to?

7. To Kinetic Being: You need an MA or PhD but you need a BA to get those. I'm on degree 1 of 3.

To Weebie: My family is ridiculously, reactionary conservative to the point where college professors are deemed commie scum. Most are also scientists or engineers of some form so they think their subjects are more important and require more intelligence and training.

I understand it is all bullshit. BTW my paper turned out to be 17 pages including cover and 2 pages of bibliography. It rocks the socks out of your cocks (it was well-written IMO :D).

8. You always hear that slur that college professors are all lefties and poisoning the children

I wonder if it's just a coincidence that so many well-studied and educated people happen to identify with the left. :devious:

9. gotta walk before you run make sense?? As far as i know, masters = graduate school meaning you have to have an undergraduate education. I THINK.

people always bust my balls cuz supposidly MBA's cant land jobs or some bullshit. Its like dude just cuz im a business major doesnt mean i want an MBA, I try and focus my attention on the PRESENT, which is getting good grades that semister and getting the degree in which im currently working towards THEN ill worry about whether or not I want or need an MBA.