An interesting email that I got today

Discussion in 'General' started by budburner, Feb 2, 2001.

1. I thought this was rather interesting.... So I brought it over. Pardon the length, but it makes me feel a little older than I did before I read it.

Even though it is now the Class of 2001, I thought this was rather interesting: The Class of 2000
    Just in case you weren't feeling too old today, this will certainly change things. Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin put together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of that year's incoming freshmen.

Here is this year's list:

The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1982.

They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and probably did not know he had ever been shot.

They were pre-pubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.

Black Monday 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression. They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold War.

They have never feared a nuclear war.

They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.

Tianamen Square means nothing to them. Their lifetime has always included AIDS. Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums. The statement you sound like a broken record means nothing to them.

They have never owned a record player.

They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Ping-Pong.

They may have never heard of an 8 track. The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.

As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 33 cents.

They have always had an answering machine.
    Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black-and-white TV.They have always had cable.

There has always been VCRs, but they have no idea what BETA is.

They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

They were born the year that Walkmen were introduced by Sony. Roller-skating has always meant inline for them.

Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.

They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

They have never seen Larry Bird play.

They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as WWI, WWII and the Civil War.

They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.

They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
    They never heard: " Where's the beef?", " I'd walked a mile for a Camel", or "de plane, de plane".

They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. is. The Titanic was found? They thought we always knew where it was. Michael Jackson is still white. Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not groups. McDonalds never came in Styrofoam containers. There has always been MTV. They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter
    Do you feel old yet? Pass this on to the other old fogies in your life.

I thought I'd never get out of high school. After I did, the years have ridden the fast foreword button!

------------------
    Peace [​IMG]

2. lol

------------------
    [​IMG]

3. when pay phones were 10¢

------------------
    [​IMG]

4. I love this list, Your so goddamn right!

SJ

5. awwww give us kids a little credit. so we were too young to remember the reagan years. i call that LUCKY! ha ha! but remember, we were old enough to remember how much the school system sucked after reagan and durring bush.

the same kids who have always had color tv, always had plastic bottle tops, never had to fear nuclear war, are the ones in seattle, chicago, washington protesting this plastic environment they were flung into.

never too old or YOUNG to change the stereotype!

[beth]

6. After seeing this post I have to say, as a soon to be class of 13 graduate, not enough credit is being given to young people. I know about most of the stuff listed here. Quoted material will be in italics for differentiation.

I thought this was rather interesting.... So I brought it over. Pardon the length, but it makes me feel a little older than I did before I read it.

Even though it is now the Class of 2001, I thought this was rather interesting: The Class of 2000
    Just in case you weren't feeling too old today, this will certainly change things. Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin put together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of that year's incoming freshmen.

Here is this year's list:

The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1982.

Interesting. I was born in 92 and started college fall 2010. So we have a 10 year age gap here.

They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and probably did not know he had ever been shot.

I didn't live through the Reagan area but have studied it and am aware he was shot. I believe a secret service member was paralyzed trying to protect him.

They were pre-pubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.

Was just a baby, but I do remember the second Gulf War.

Black Monday 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression.

Ah but I was hit with the recession right as I entered the workforce.

They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold War.

I was 1, but the impact of the Cold War on our culture cannot be missed.

They have never feared a nuclear war.

North Korea? Iran? Iraq? Afghanistan?

They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.

Not Challenger but I do remember very clearly Columbia blowing up on re-entry

Tianamen Square means nothing to them. Their lifetime has always included AIDS. Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

Tianamen Square registers with me. Largest example of violent suppression of public demonstration in recent history. AIDS awareness started in elementary school though it never made sense to me how it spread as the only way they said it could spread was by blood to blood contact. Not until I was older did I find out about transmission by dirty needles and through sex.

Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums. The statement you sound like a broken record means nothing to them.

I get what a broken record sounds like. It just keeps repeating the same part over and over again.

They have never owned a record player.

True of myself but some people my age are into records.

They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Ping-Pong.

Not quite. I've wasted a good amount of time on Pac-Man machines. Many arcades don't get rid of old machines if they still work, particularly popular ones like Pac-Man. And Ping Pong is one of my favorite pastimes and was a big part of growing up.

They may have never heard of an 8 track. The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.

An 8 track is what Eric Forman didn't want his mom to buy him on that 70's show.

As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 33 cents.

I don't remember stamps ever being that cheap. ;)

They have always had an answering machine.

Got me there.

Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black-and-white TV.They have always had cable.

Hah, I definitely haven't always had cable, or even a T.V. for that matter. I had an old T.V. when I was younger that we thought was black and white for the longest time until someone turned a nob on the side and what do you know it's a color T.V. now.

There has always been VCRs, but they have no idea what BETA is.

I know what BETA is, it's what everyone used as a comparison in the HD DVD vs. Bluray war.

They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

Oh I can fathom it.

They were born the year that Walkmen were introduced by Sony. Roller-skating has always meant inline for them.

Got my first cd (not tape) walkman when I was 9. True about the rollerblading but that's gone away lately.

Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.

Except for the brief Conan stint. But honestly I've seen best of Johnny Carson tapes on VHS, and that shit was great. Wonder where those tapes ended up...

They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.

Or what they even are.

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

Not Jiffy pop. Also not if you use a popcorn machine.

They have never seen Larry Bird play.

No but I had a basketball growing up with Larry Bird's name on it and my uncle always used to make fun of how old my basketball was.

They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

Yeah right. Jaws is timeless.

The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as WWI, WWII and the Civil War.

Not if you've ever talked to a veteran of Vietnam, and there are a lot of them around.

They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.

I saw Argo with my best friend in the theater and he didn't know shit about it but I did.

They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

No, I guess I don't know what hard contact lenses are.

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
    They never heard: " Where's the beef?", " I'd walked a mile for a Camel", or "de plane, de plane".

This is all greek to me.

They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. is.

I forget what old t.v. show this was a cliffhanger episode on. Maybe Dallas? Sidenote, they're remaking Dallas. I just know about this because who shot J.R. was parodied by the Simpsons as well as South Park.

The Titanic was found? They thought we always knew where it was.

Last on the list of movies I have any interest in watching. :D

Michael Jackson is still white.

Not with us anymore.

Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not groups

I know of Chicago, Kansas, and Boston.

McDonalds never came in Styrofoam containers.

Got me there.

There has always been MTV.

And it's always sucked.

They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter

I can't imagine it's that hard. Like typing in word except you can't make mistakes and you have to slide it over at the end of a line.

Do you feel old yet? Pass this on to the other old fogies in your life.

I thought I'd never get out of high school. After I did, the years have ridden the fast foreword button!

I have to agree with this one and I've only been out 3 years. All in all this is an interesting list but I have to say, even 10 years later they don't give the next generation enough credit. We have conversed pretty heavily with preceding generations considering most of us spend the first 18-21 years of our life living with 1-2 people from a previous generation.

7. #7 Str8oFfThEtOP, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013
    Hey moron, this thread is over ten years old.

Look when it was posted.

Name calling has no place in the city

_YODA

8. Pretty sure dude said that in his post...and don't call people names that's not nice little boy.

9. Did you read my post? I acknowledged that. I could've quoted OP and made a new thread but why do that? I posted because it is interesting. If it doesn't interest you don't post, and this thread will get buried again.

10. If you had made a new thread someone would have bitches about you not using the search function...can't make some people happy.

11. "McDonalds never came in Styrofoam containers."

That's funny! Reminded me of the 18 cent hamburger. A bun, a meat, mustard, ketchup, and a pickle slice.
    Mc-D's had a commercial with a dad, a mom, a brother, and a sister. (typical family of 4)
    The slogan was: You can take the family out to dinner and get change back from a dollar. This was true, a hamburger, fries, and small fountain drink X 4. Of course, americans would always spend a little more when they got there, like milk shakes instead of sodas. But still it was all very affordable.

12. Now the only way you're getting change back from a dollar is if you buy one of the things that it is 2 for a dollar on the dollar menu like the apple pies.