An Idea

Discussion in 'General' started by Legend, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Why do we need moderators here on this forum?
    I say, these forums shouldn\'t be moderated. We\'re all adults here and we should be able to speak out our mind without any hesitation and without any crazy with power moderator throwing in his/her stupid authority.
    Oh, I have no problems with any moderator, but just an idea!

2. ^ banned...lol

3. Think of all of the ad\'s, racism, and spam would end up on the board without mods.

4. Oh fuck seriously? Can I get banned for this?

5. He was kidding

6. No, you probably won\'t be banned, but the mods are very important here, and there are a lot of unnecessary, rude posts that do need to be taken care of. There are trolls on this site, just like any other one.

Sorry that you feel that the mods don\'t need to be here, but seeing as how you\'ve only been a member.. for what.. two weeks at the MOST? You really haven\'t seen a lot of what has gone down in the city when people decide to speak their minds. And none of the moderators \"throw in his/her stupid authority\", what they do is for a reason, not to mention the members are the ones that report stuff to the moderators most of the time.

Appreciate the city, the mods have been here a long time, and for specific reasons, case closed.

7. Excuse me, who are you?
    Case closed? Who are you to close my case?
    Why do you sound so ignorant and fucked up?

8. I\'m a moderator on a forum that has roughly 40,000 members. So its a little bit smaller then the city. Of course, our demographic is teens aged 12-18 so moderation is pretty much required (although you could argue that in the past 6 months there has been little to moderate in terms of content).

Most of the stuff moderators take care of are corporate advertising and spam. You dont know about these threads becuase they can be hard deleted, meaning you don\'t see a deleted thread message.

Also, moderators are required (or at least an admin) to update the vBullitan software and add features once in a while.

This is a very liberal forum in terms of content... theres no swear filtration, which I like.

Signatures are also (to my knowledge) unregulated by the forum\'s script.

Theres those cool features below threads (like digg, del.icio.us, etc)

WE\'re allowed to post HTML....

I must say I am impressed at the amount of freedoms the moderators give us compared to the amounts of conflicts.

I guess you could sum it up by that statement someone made a while back...

Sure grasscity has its disagreements, but they are usually resolved by a toke and a handshake and we go on.

9. I say we vote for moderators, monthly. What harm could be done?

10. Why vote for mods? What good would a popularity contest bring to the process or the job? I would rather have an admin appoint a moderator after a review process. Better than having a group of people elect whomever they think is cool at the time, someone who could completely suck at the job.

11. How is it a popularity contest? We would get to choose first hand who would be a good choice for a moderator as a city. Obviously, there will be a certain number of people nominated, none of which should not fit the standards of the best of the best to become a moderator.

12. It would turn into a popularity contest, like most elections. People who should hold the position would probably not even be nominated, while the people who end up being elected, have no business trying to do the job in the first place. A good number of elections are simply popularity contests. No, I think it is great how it is. Admin\'s appoint moderators, people they think can do the job. It is not an easy job, and most people are unable to do it... At least well.

13. I agree with liquid.
    Im apart of another forum that lets users be mods. Needless to say the forum sucks. The mods do an awesome job keeping the immature users and spammers out

14. we have moderates here because there are standards that the majority of the members here agree that are important to enforce and more importantly the owner of the forums wish there to be. Grasscity is a much better place for all of their work, because the ones who have the duty of cleaning up the random crap that spews in from the internet actually care about this place. Most punishments are temporary and if they are unjust there are many vocal people who would call it out. This is a good forum, and i think your idea is incredibly short sighted and without merit.

there are no need to elect anyone else. they want to do the job and they\'re fair about it.

15. This forum would run into the ground without mods/admins.

Theres spam, Messages that can get the site shut down, B/S drama which usually becomes racial or something else which offends.

Mods/Admins keep this place at ease as much as they can and try to keep it to mellow stoners with educated communication.

GC FTW.

16. Mods and admins are definately needed for this site to run smoothly...

This thread is......... IDK- I won\'t say anything and be nice I guess.

17. The mods are here for a reason, case closed you whining isn\'t gunna change anything. That\'s all I\'m saying dude.

Why do I sound ignorant? Please, I hate when people throw that word around without even knowing what it means.

18. For a minute I thought you were talking about the process we Americans currently refer to as the \'democratic process\' (where a popularity contest results in a rich douchebag getting lots of my money)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.