Amoril's Medicine Cab - Master Kaze - Test Grow for MNS / Shantibaba

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by amoril, May 25, 2009.

1. youre not going to believe this....

but Ive got pics.

not a whole lot to look at really....just a canopy shot, followed by a few "bud" shots, if you can call them that at this point LMAO.

the ladies are at 4 days flowering, and rolling along quite nicely. The less dense spot in the canopy is the 4th lady, coming in at -3 days flowering, or so I estimate.

Attached Files:

2. Our top story at 10. Trich Watch '09...

Let us know when you see trichome onset. What are they smelling like? I got the first whiff of the BW's today. Man does she got some Stank on her. a couple in particular. Strong smell = strong taste right? That's what i'm after, the taste.

3. generally, they are starting to smell pretty strong. When I crack the seal, a wall of stinky air hits me, and quick. I havent paid much attention to each smell uniquely though, at least not recently, so I may have to get on that soon.

and yessir, taste and smell have a lot in common. Its not written in stone that one correlates with the other, but its common enough. Stankiness would be a good thing, Im sure lmao.

4. End of day 7 (day 0 for the fashionably late lady). Fed 5ml/g of 'Nova Bloom for the last couple of weeks, but tonight Ive added 5ml/g molasses as well.

In another week, Ill phase in some LKB.

trichomes are already setting in to the naked eye on a couple of them, but I wasnt able to capture it on the pics.

but....here's what I do have :D

-------

pic 1 - I want to say this is MK7, but i forget.

pic 2 - a closeup on one of the budsites.

pic 3 - same, but a different bud.

pic 4 - another.

pic 5 - The haze and/or skunk is strong with this one ;)

pics 6 and 7 - canopy shots with different camera settings and such.

Attached Files:

5. For a soil grower amoril, your fingernails sure are clean LOL
    Looks like you have at least a couple different phenos there. Pic #5 does look like a smelly bitch. In a good way ;)

-----

Soil segway-
    I just ordered some roots organic soil. I guess it's a C.A.P. product. Who knew? It's been recommended by flesh-friends as well as e-friends. + it's a sh!tload cheaper. I found $$ as low as $12 for 1.5 cu bag.

6. #66 amoril, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2009

youre lucky, in that you can save money by going with the roots. Where Im at, its the same damn price. For that incentive, Im not interested in switching LMAO.

and thanks for complimenting my fingernails....i guess? I get them manicured twice a week, so they better look good. And no, that is not an honest statement. :smoke:

-------------------------

good stuff happens in a short time, it seems. Im still hoping to have a formal pictorial introduction to the individual ladies by the end of the week, but this will have to do for now.

pics 1 and 2 are canopy shots.

pic 3 - MK9. Isnt she nice? I cant really have a favorite yet, but she could be a contender.

pic 4 - MK7, or the hazy / skunky lady. I dont know which it is, could be both....but those leaves are THIN. this is also the stretchiest of the group.

pic 5 - This one's fairly tame, so Id reckon it's more of the afghan/master kush side of things, but who knows. Also, if you look closely, you may notice that this is the earliest of the ladies to have trichomes visible to the naked eye / camera. Look real close. ;)

ok, so those 3 are the ladies that are nearly done with their 11th day of flower.

and now,

pic 6 - MK10. the most hollow stems of any Ive ever grown, this lady is only on her 4th day of flower, so somewhat less impressive than the other three....but I have high hopes.

Attached Files:

7. heya amoril. I just chopped a male after using up a bunch of its pollen. I've been aware for a while that hollow stem is a favorable trait for a parent and was glad to discover he was so. but how can you check for hollowness while he/she is still growing?

8. Ok, i've been accused of having a hollow leg before, but hollow stems are usually found after i clean my bong.

I'ma guess "topping". Either that or he's got X-Ray vision :D If the latter is true, i'm gonna need to borrow those peepers for the next cheerleading competition LOLROF

9. Ricardo hit the nail on the head man. I topped my plants multiple times, and had many chances to glance at the stems. ive seen hollow stems before....but damn, these look almost like just a paper shell around nothing. Even on a joint thats been topped several weeks ago, you can still see right down the middle....impressive IMO.

my x-ray vision is strictly imaginary, but it works quite well.

10. hah
    hmmm
    wonder what they's smoke like if stuffed with bud...

11. or find a nice thick one and make a steamroller

12. LMAO, thats a decent idea. Id probably have to grow outdoors, but whatever.

which reminds me. I dont remember where I saw it, but some dude would carve pipes out of the stalks of large outdoor plants. Pretty sweet stuff.

-----------

not a lot to look at tonight, so ill keep it short.

3/4 of the ladies are now through 16 days of flower, the fourth is just over a week in.

the feed was upped to 5ml/g Nova bloom + 5ml/g molasses + 5ml/g liquid koolbloom. Should start speeding the process along i hope.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1

13. Very nice grow. I love to see grows of fine genetics, and anyone familiar with Shantibaba knows he is one of the best in the business. These look very nice. Have you run across any noticeable deficiencies? Can you share some of the more notable traits, such as: growth rates, water consumption, nute intake? I find these all very good knowledge for people like myself who are looking at getting some new genetics in their collections. You can PM me if you wish.

Very nice grow, Shanti will be very proud.

less

14. You're going the "nutrient level" route eh? I was considering the "DeLorean + Flux Capacitor" method myself. Cut to the chase already. But hey, you do what you gotta do, right? :D

Back to reality

I was wondering if you've seen any signs of nute burn with the FN series? I've heard folks say it's "way too hot", but i don't trust just anybody.

15. #75 amoril, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
    man, I wish I could go back to the future and be smokin some Kaze already. but nnnnoooooo, Im stuck here 2 months in the past.

the nova really isnt that hot at all. Youll understand more in a minute, but this stuff is idiot-proof IMO. In fact, im curious who actually claims the stuff is hot? I know Rez doesnt like the organic-infused-hydro (but riddle me wtf he is doing with floralicious then LMAO...cause nova is basically the flora line + the 'licious line LOL)

seriously though, id say if youre comparing 'the recipe' vs. what I feed (which is more or less the recipe, but the LKB is phased in over a couple weeks, and I use slightly less Nova than he does Flora, but iirc Ill finish with like 2ml/g more LKB than he feeds) that nute burn wont be an issue either way.

what I really like about the nova is that it does provide some very consistent pH stabilization, which really makes nute burn more difficult to attain. You can see my leaves....they havent been flushed. even the tips are green ;)

hey Less, nice to see you 'round these parts :D im gonna touch on some 'specifics' in a sec, since ricard0 asked some similar questions, but I wanted to say that these really are some top-shelf genetics. Almost foolproof LOL. I ended up being an idiot, and stressing the hell out of them for at least a week, right as the 12/12 adjustment was taking place, the fact that Im still flowering 4 of the 5 females is a good sign ;) these 4 ladies are definately resistant to intersexxing....an indicator of Shanti's work no doubt.

the growth rates weren't abnormal or anything. Definately on the 'more vigorous' end of things, the stretch in flower is almost certainly substantial though. Im using the CMH, which theoretically helps to minimize this, but I still got easily a 2.5x-3x growth burst when flowering stopped. From about 1.5ft to 4ft easily, and several have been supercropped / bent to maintain the 4' mark. Id reckon, as a result, that running my clones SOG style would be spectacular.

----------------

now, for the nute discussions, of both 'Nova and the plant's uptake and/or deficiencies.

First, I must make a confession. I have not measured the pH / ppm / EC or anything at all for the duration of the grow. Before you all start shakin your finger at me....it hasnt been an issue IMO. And, I dont know where my pen is :smoking:

so, I cant tell you specifically what the nute uptake is. I can tell you that ive had no real pH issues, no real nute burn, etc. I had a very slight pH issue on MK11 (male) way back when it was about a month old or so, but since it was 1 plant from 11, and such a minor issue, I didnt even adjust anything, and the plant quickly outgrew the problem. BTW, we're talking like 6 tiny dots on the whole of the plant...not a serious problem.

my feed has been light, but gradually increasing from the start. Right now, the feed is @ 675 ppm / 1.35 mS (ec). thats 500ppm (1mS) for the nova, and 175ppm (.35mS) for the koolbloom. At the max, we'll be feeding 850ppm (1.7ec), and Im really not anticipating that to be a problem.

While that doesnt seem like a lot, I am growing in a FFOF based medium, so I tend feed less rather than more. I do feed every watering though...something Im not sure every soil grower does.

also, ive not added a drop of anything to adjust pH. I just filter the water, mix in the nutes, and pour. The OF has some oyster shell in it, I add some dolomitic lime, and the Nova does the rest.

Do I feel bad about not using the pen, and having precise numbers? nah. Am I hoping that I havent just jinxed myself? you bet.

16. #1 - Budshot from MK4.

#2 - Whole plant shot of MK7. This is the hazy/skunky phenotype mentioned previously. gorgeous, eh? :D

#3 - bud shot of MK9. She has the most resin, but its hard to get on camera with the HID on.

#4 - Whole plant shot of MK9.

everything above this point is through 3 weeks of flower. MK9 is the only one truly packin the trichomes on (master kush pheno?), but its still a little early IMO...especially for the 10+week finishers.

and now, the lady who is, in all likelihood, going to be the to last to finish....

#5 - Whole plant shot of MK10.

#6 - Bud shot of MK10

Attached Files:

17. Gorgeous, yes. Here, i'll help you pat yourself on the back as you're arms are obviously tired from all the heavy growin' you've been doing....... that or having all that hair to carry around LMAO

Absolutely gorgeous indeed. I've gotta mention the vigor again. They just look so damn healthy. My hat's off :)

18. I actually snorted a hit out my nose while laughing. I wasnt aware that my arm hair was evident in pic 4.....but so it is

im a fuggin sasquatch. except, that im really not that hairy...just the forearms. and the beard.

19. :laughing:^^classic^^:laughing:

20. first picture - shitty quality with the brightness, but if you have resistance to snow blindness, you can see the trichomes. Not bad for 24-25 days of flower, IMO.

second pic - a nice shot of a terminal bud from MK9. This is going to be the fastest phenotype, so it seems ;)

third and fourth - well, a picture is worth some words, or something like that. I dont feel like quantifying that.

Attached Files: