Americans - what are you taught about Britain in school?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jumpfruit, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Ey bruv i gots twenty codswallops on the mickey

2. #22 My Username, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
    Read The Canterbury Tales and Angela's Ashes

If my memory serves me right, my school seemed to glorify England. Especially when we started reading poems.. But when learning history, England was always one of the biggest pieces to the equation.

Everything else was kind of meh. Scotland mentioned once in a while.. Ireland usually mentioned when talking about drinking or famine..

3. A lot about how some English people and the Magna Carta and all that influenced early American leaders, the constitution, ect. Not much after that. We do teach a lot about the world in the Classical era and medieval up until ww2 briefly.

4. We learned mostly about the Magna Carta and how it affected us and all that. I don't remember too much since I almost never paid attention in History.

5. #25 Buccibuds, Jan 29, 2014
    Uhh just the basics from what I can remember. The colonies, The sun never sets on the british empire, India and the tea, and all the good stuff. There is so much in history across the globe in all different places in time, to do and entire unit solely on british history seems like a waste of time (no offense.) although I think it is pretty cool that your school system does. (History was my favorite subject in school also, just thought I would share that. )

6. Nothing other than the american revolution.

Nothing current.

Was surprised in college to learn a lot of the patriots including george washington were born in England. Didnt know he was in the british military either....not til college.

The 30-40+ middle schools i attended never covered any of it tbh.

Learned more about england from news and friends who live there, documentaries and such

7. #27 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬, Jan 29, 2014
    it was mostly about our history, but if you took geography, which at my school was required, we had to learn the name of every country, and memerize them, but they were broken down into areas at a time, so it wasn't as hard as it sounds. learned about the history of other countries too, but it wasn't really in depth or anything, in all fairness though is wasn't a long course, and there is only so much you cram into one semester. then there was world history, but i don't think it was required, it might have been, but i switched schools the last year of high school, so i had different requirements.

i mean yeah, we probally don't get taught as much as we should about other countries, but i personally think every country wants the kids in school to learn about there own history.

at my school, britain wasn't really talked about a whole lot, pretty much some wars, and that was about it....it was more about europe in general, rather than individual countries, like i said though it is hard to cram the history of every country in one semester

don't know about any other people, but at my school, history wasn't sugar-coated or anything, anything bad that as of a nation that was considered bad, it was talked about

8. That america is the bastard child of britain.....or maybe its was just england as a whole...that was a long ass time ago bro. All i know is people came here, saw other people, Said oh we likey, natives get died, people expect gold. Eventually some people were like, hey you aren't my supervisor anymore, thus the americans put in their two weeks to whoever, and begin the long firing process call the revolutionary war. Then black people were like, you aren't my supervisor....and they put in their two weeks to their masters, thus beginning the long firing process called the civil war. Like i said bastard child.

9. Yeah i dont know what schools you guys went to but we learned a good bit about history and geography. Never really found British history all that interesting myself.

10. I'm English and didn't even understand what you meant there.

"Nice try brah" *chants like I'm on Jerry Springer*

11. Really? I thought that was in elementary school we learned that

12. I pretty much thought they were lying. I don't think it was so much that we "won" so decisively that we defeated the British. I think it was a truce and an accord that allowed free trade and stopped what would most certainly have been or led to the destruction of your Empire, while at the same time exposing us to the same dangers from other Nations meaning our Nation would have never even gotten out of it's infancy.
     However..My Grandfather was Irish. And he taught me quite a bit more than either your Nation or this one would have liked.
     I carried a lot of prejudice and hatred for what was done to Ireland, and what this Nation allowed to be done to it without intervening.
     I got into a lot of trouble in school for my personal views on what this Nation did to the Natives, and now people don't like how I feel about the same role we are playing in other Nations.
     I cheered the day Margaret Thatcher died. And I don't care how you feel about that. Yes, I know we have our very own brand of Tyrants here too. And I won't bat an eye if people cheer on the day they go to hell either.
    But after she died, I let go of my hatred and prejudices for the UK, even those turncoat Scots.....Because a time of healing had come. She was a living symbol of a horrible time, and suffering because of her policies.  And I had learned something else. My grandfather was going to return to Ireland during the Troubles. And he would have been a force to be reckoned with. But he stayed here for my Grandmother. And started a family....deep down he burned from anger, but in his heart he only wanted peace for the Nation of his birth. And although this was home...Ireland always called him as they say.
     Only a fool fights for something that they will only succeed in being buried under. What he found was more tangible, and more important to him than jingoism.
    And I feel the same for my wife and family. Keep whatever land you wish to shed blood for. If invading hordes invade my country I won't fight for land, or a flag. I will fight for the lives of my loved ones, and the loved ones of my countrymen. And I think that would make me a very dangerous opponent. And if someone ever comes after you....give me a call mate! We'll sort them out together. Because THAT is worth killing for. In my opinion it is the ONLY thing worth killing for!

I hope you don't misunderstand what I am trying to say here. I know you have your history, and I'm not attacking it. I just know my history....and I think the world would be a better place if we just closed the books and started fresh....and let every generation write their own history and not be bound to the ideologies and burdens of the previous one!

Fucking really? That is a pretty damn good summary bro! :eek:

14. Well they didnt even cover any of that shit til i was in 8th grade. Not sure if its everywhere, school to school or what. I lived in northern california by the oregon border. Mightve been different where u are tho :-/

15. TV teaches us about brits.
    not school zZzZzZ...

16. Who remembers school?

In England I imagine tea shops everywhere, grey gloomy rainy, short summers and good chocolate??

17. i wasnt taught about the UK in school, other than for geographical purposes.

Really, if true history were taught, the kids would all be cynical assholes like myself.

IRL- we lost the war with the british, but everyone always acts like we won..  How is this so hard for people to understand? :laughing:

Seriously though, fuck the royal family. (seriously, they need some extra genetics)

18. American Revolution in elementary school. Other than that... nothing.

19. #40 Synyster Jesus, Jan 29, 2014

Is that what they teach in public school?

As for the topic, in my school we just learned about the American Revolution. Pretty in depth at that, not that I remember much about it. Selective memory and all that.

Junior year of high school a teacher of mine arranged a two week trip to London though, that was fucking awesome. Had a blast there.