Americans - what are you taught about Britain in school?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jumpfruit, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Also, what are the general opinions and beliefs on the UK held by your country?
    Just curious.

If you can specify between England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland that would be perfect.

2. i don't think most Americans even think about the UK very often lol
    I think England, Scotland and Ireland would be cool to visit though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nothing I can remember except the different terms for the words. But that was only to watch a Britain movie

4. No offence to any Americans out there, but it seems to me as if the US schooling system brings kids up believing the USA is the centre piece of the world, and other countries are just extraneous. In school (when I was 16), we did an entire module on how the Americans 'conquered' their new land. 'Manifest Destiny' and all that. So don't you learn about other countries in History, Geography etc? 

• Like Like x 6
  5. we do learn about other countries but it's not really as in-depth as our own so we tend to forget shit or only memorize a loose history.

• Like Like x 2
  6. #6 CC99, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
    uhhhh just shit from the American revolution lol. and at one point basic world geography
    but yeah you're right highschool history classes are extremely fucked up. extremely. I did some of my own reading + some college history courses after HS and my perception is very changed. Our history classes literally only focus on the history of white males as if everyone else history just didn't happen. I especially like how our history books try and frame the way we treated Indians in the 19th century. Very rarely will you hear about how we purposely deceived them, broke treaties just because, and treated them like/used propaganda to portray them basically exactly like terrorists how we portray middle easterners now. Oh and The Alamo is a bunch of bullshit too.

but yeah us Americans have a false sense of importance. we don't realize how much the world actually doesn't gaf about us. we don't realize we're actually not the most advanced country...at alll. but it's been brought up in us. it's pretty fucked, I pity my own country lol.

• Like Like x 8
  7. Ive never been, but honestly were only taught up to the american revolution, maybe a little after too, but as for past kings and such were taught very little. In world history we briefly talked about Englands world history but after that not much at allSent from my DROID4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Opinions that ive come across is that you all are very formal and stuck up, although that isnt my opinion, ignorant people ive come across have said that.Sent from my DROID4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. We whipped dat ass in the revolutionary warSent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 5
  10. America sorta is the centre piece of the world, they control the 3 major currency's in the world. Might not have foreign territory's but just look how many military bases and air strips they have all over the world. Thru have the largest navy by far! Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Btw I'm English so I'm not one of them blind Americans preaching, 'Mercia!

12. The revolution and the war of 1812 mostly, also ww2 and stuff like that but I didn't know Britain fought alone against Germany for a while in ww2 until I researched myself. That's badass, also I love the English culture but none of that was taught to me in school

13. Yeah...... Uhhh MERICA!

Sent from my EVO using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. To be fair alot of common-wealth country's fought with us to start with countries like Canada, New Zealand, Poland.

America wanted to make some profit before they entered. Hence why they are now the worlds super power. The American government doesn't think years in advance they think decades!

15. Eh, School was pretty fucked for me. I ended up going to a Christian private school where I could literally see the brainwashing happen. They refused to teach things like evolution, and holy fuck, don't ever have a question about their faith, they get really pissed. I remember my "Science" teacher sent me to the principles office, because they were teaching about creation and how evolution couldn't be true because of it. I merely rose my hand and asked. "But..if god is real, couldn't he make evolution possible?" I was given a bible that day by the principle and told to find my "faith". Needless to say less than a year later I flipped the fuck out on them, ripped all the pages out of the bible the principle had given me, threw them in the air outside and made it rain as I walked to my bike. One teacher ran outside and said she was calling the cops, I flipped her off without looking back and kept walking. That was in 8th grade. Since I was expelled I took the rest of the year off to "home school" and started public high school the next year.

It was a shitty high school in a shitty area of shitty Florida haha. I passed pretty damn easily(didn't have to remember scriptures for a grade) all 4 years and graduated with a 3.8gpa. The history books I was taught out of excluded pretty much any information that didn't involve the U.S. in some way. Then when it did, it always made the U.S. out to be the good guys. I shit you not, when we learned about the pilgrims immigrating to the U.S. the Native Americans were the hostile ones, they were the ones living the unruly and primitive lifestyle that threatened the way of life the colonist were trying to build. I was taught that a Monarchy was evil and corrupt(HAH! Cause democracy isn't :rollseyes:) and an inferior way of running things. Then around that time our history books started making you guys look all kinds of fucked up, greedy, and oppressive. Then the revolutionary war, Independence, and then you guys pretty much disappeared from my books, unless I was learning geography or something like that.

I'd be curious as to how Englands history books make the U.S. out to be during the same time period.

• Like Like x 3
  16. It's not.

• Like Like x 5
  17. I learned that you guys have bad dental hygiene.

• Like Like x 7
  18. [quote name="Sciapodous" post="19429181" timestamp="1391013792"]Eh, School was pretty fucked for me. I ended up going to a Christian private school where I could literally see the brainwashing happen. They refused to teach things like evolution, and holy fuck, don't ever have a question about their faith, they get really pissed. I remember my "Science" teacher sent me to the principles office, because they were teaching about creation and how evolution couldn't be true because of it. I merely rose my hand and asked. "But..if god is real, couldn't he make evolution possible?" I was given a bible that day by the principle and told to find my "faith". Needless to say less than a year later I flipped the fuck out on them, ripped all the pages out of the bible the principle had given me, threw them in the air outside and made it rain as I walked to my bike. One teacher ran outside and said she was calling the cops, I flipped her off without looking back and kept walking. That was in 8th grade. Since I was expelled I took the rest of the year off to "home school" and started public high school the next year.It was a shitty high school in a shitty area of shitty Florida haha. I passed pretty damn easily(didn't have to remember scriptures for a grade) all 4 years and graduated with a 3.8gpa. The history books I was taught out of excluded pretty much any information that didn't involve the U.S. in some way. Then when it did, it always made the U.S. out to be the good guys. I shit you not, when we learned about the pilgrims immigrating to the U.S. the Native Americans were the hostile ones, they were the ones living the unruly and primitive lifestyle that threatened the way of life the colonist were trying to build. I was taught that a Monarchy was evil and corrupt(HAH! Cause democracy isn't :rollseyes:) and an inferior way of running things. Then around that time our history books started making you guys look all kinds of fucked up, greedy, and oppressive. Then the revolutionary war, Independence, and then you guys pretty much disappeared from my books, unless I was learning geography or something like that.I'd be curious as to how Englands history books make the U.S. out to be during the same time period.[/quote]I went to a Christian school til 6th grade hahaParochial schools are good at teaching everything but science and anything that connects to religion. And the "bible class" like its ok to learn about God and all that stuff. but really a grade for it, come on bruh. When I went to public school I actually learned stuff in science. But the Christian schools push out lots of smart kids. Or just plain old bk's "bad kids". ImoAs for the topic at hand. We really only learned about the uk for like wars, Middle Ages and some other shit. American schools just brainwash and make us only care about America. Except for the Great Depression, civil war, wars and some other things, we only learned about how amazing it is in 'Murica. I'm about to graduate so this is a fresh perspective. And I like "social studies, world/ us history" so I actually paid attention

• Like Like x 1
  19. Obviously we learn about the revolution. In secondary schools, we don't go into much depth of other countries simply because our history is so expansive. I studied history later on, and based on what I remember, students may only encounter 35% of our own history. Grade school classes usually do not go past 1965.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I couldn't tell you, it's almost 5 years since I've been out of school and to much weed to even care. :)

• Like Like x 1