American Olympian THC Positive

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Bunny Wailer, Aug 6, 2012.

1. American judoka Nick Delpopolo thrown out of Olympics for testing positive for THC | Fourth-Place Medal - Yahoo! Sports

[​IMG]

American judoka Nick Delpopolo has been expelled from the Olympics for testing positive for tetrahydrocannabinol, or as it's more commonly known, THC. It's the chemical found in marijuana and hash.

According to a statement released by the USOC, Delpopolo is embarrassed and blamed the positive test on an "inadvertent consumption of food that I did not realize had been baked with marijuana." That's either an amazing excuse or Delpopolo is cursed with the worst friends on the planet.

OK, a little tip: Friends of Olympians. Sneaking pot brownies on a friend is never a good idea. But doing it when he's going to be competing in the Olympics, something he's worked for his entire life and that comes with a whole lot of drug testing, is downright terrible.

Delpopolo's Olympic accreditation was canceled, and the IOC asked for the international judo federation to look into further action. The USOC, which said it is committed to clean competition, supported the disqualification. This is the first expulsion from an in-competition test.

Delpopolo hopes he will get a chance to redeem himself.

"I look forward to representing my country in the future, and will rededicate myself to being the best judo athlete that I can be," he said.
    Delpopolo competed in the 73 kg (160 pounds) weight class last Monday. He went 2-1, and was eliminated in the repechage round.

2. Yeah, right...inadvertent consumption....

Dude gets baked.

3. That's some bull shit.

What do they care if he smokes some weed this shit isn't steroids.

Bet they have no problem with the competitors drinking alcohol if they wanted to. In fact the IOC advises them to "drink wisely."

4. He's a tool for not admitting it and standing up for his right as a human being to consume Cannabis in his free time. Same with Michael Phelps. He should have admitted that he loves weed and it obviously hasn't effected his performance negatively. It could have been a big help to us. But he pussed out to try and save face.

5. man i think him and michael phelps are fuckin hypocrite pieces of shit!! they really dont have the balls to say they smoke weed just to save their image,fuckin pussies. plus whatsup with testing someone for weed, as far as i know, weed doesn't enhance sports peformance, the goverment even said it fucks up motor skills lol

6. [quote name='"TooSlickToSlide"']man i think him and michael phelps are fuckin hypocrite pieces of shit!! they really dont have the balls to say they smoke weed just to save their image,fuckin pussies. plus whatsup with testing someone for weed, as far as i know, weed doesn't enhance sports peformance, the goverment even said it fucks up motor skills lol[/quote]

You don't understand. They'll strip medals if they want. And it would be bullshit to have their medals get stripped because of something so minor. Better to just nod and play it off than to cause a stink just because you wouldn't swallow your pride and tell then what they want to hear.

7. [quote name='"TooSlickToSlide"']man i think him and michael phelps are fuckin hypocrite pieces of shit!! they really dont have the balls to say they smoke weed just to save their image,fuckin pussies. plus whatsup with testing someone for weed, as far as i know, weed doesn't enhance sports peformance, the goverment even said it fucks up motor skills lol[/quote]

Honestly it's either they stand up for what's right about there occasional drug use or risk losing there present and future careers as athletes...what would you choose?

8. Unfortunately its not their fault they didn't admit, its society/gov'ts/etc's fault for almost forcing them to lie to protect their careers.

They would literally lose millions, their reputation, their careers, and their medals if they backed MJ.

Chances are if MJ becomes much more popular legally more people will come out about it, but thats not for another 20 years.

9. Don't ask, don't tell?

10. Exactly. I vape 3-4 times a day and I tell people only that I trust. Just because I've talked to some people I work with indirectly who are in their 40's-60's and just joking about bud they still have that reefer madness mentality.

One of the ladies once told me, "i worked in law enforcement for 25 years, trust me, that stuff can kill you." I just smiled and walked away.

Sadly with mentalities like this, having an athlete who's income depends on sponsors, admitting to it would basically be suicide to their careers.

Look at the olympics, they say "drink responsibly" but a little bud and the guy gets the boot. How does bud affect your performance? If anything, the other guy would have advantage using their mentality?

The world is ass-backwards and will stay that way until another 20 years when most of these older people with their mentalities die off.

11. sad but true my friend

12. Why wait? Get off your ass and do something about it besides blaming the "older" people. They aren't as naive as you think.

13. I just laugh when the Olympics or any athletic organizations penalizes it's athletes for using Cannabis. Anyone that has smoked anything and has been an athlete in a physical sport knows that it's not beneficial to your conditioning. So if you can smoke and still kick ass then more power to you, e.g. Michael Phelps. My decorated Olympian of all time, oh and guess what he's a POT HEAD! :)

14. #14 oltex, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
    If marijuana is as the federal government would have you believe and only makes people lethargic and non-productive,,how can it also be considered an enhancement drug that increases a persons physical abilities???

Oh yeah,,Prohibitionists speak out of both sides of their mouths so it can fit any situation that allows persecution of marijuana users.

15. what joke... marijuana in no way helps you preform physically in sports, i take martial arts classes and like to enjoy a nice bowl afterwards to wind down and relax the muscles, im sure this guy was just trying to do the same. whats the big deal. same concept as a beer after work.

we live in a silly time, where a man can loose what he dedicated his life to training for, for just smoking a bit of pot, or eating it. yet they promote drinking and shell out pharmaceuticals like its fuckin candy. its just sad.

16. #17 billyfish, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2012
    I read an article recently about banned drugs for the Olympics. There is a drug that blocks adrenaline receptors and is used by professional marksmen in competition. So relaxing during some sports does have its merits.

There have also been athletes that have been disqualified for alcohol use during competition, of course it is out of your system so quickly that its easy to make sure you don't have alcohol in your system. Obv the blower here is that a couple tokes and your dirty for a couple weeks.

Im all for MJ freedoms but in high level competitive sport when they are trying there best to level the playing field and eliminate substances that could offer competitive advantage, I can understand erring on the side of caution. Especially when no one can argue we fully understand the mental and physical effects of MJ.

17. Are we expecting sanity and rational behavior from the globalist corporate elite and their front and center sports fest/marketing event/social experiment that is the Olympics?

18. What an idiot this guy is. Why would you risk everything you've trained for the past 4 years because you can't control yourself? There is plenty of time after the Olympics to smoke.

No sympathy for this tard.

19. #20 KB Grower, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
    Why is everyone accusing him of lying about being slipped a brownie?

Honestly even if he does toke its pretty foolish of him to do it right before competing in the olympics.. I'm assuming being drug tested is standard