amazon tents and stuff

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Darth Clitflex, Mar 17, 2013.

1. #1 Darth Clitflex, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2013
    hi there

I'm setting up for a first time grow and want to put together a 96"x48"x84" tent and will probably buy a lot of the supplies from Amazon

five 4'x8' tents that I am looking at are :

1. earth works hydro shanty tent --> AMAZON SALE PAGE - $209.95

2. lighthouse hydroponics large grow tent --> AMAZON SALE PAGE - $197.95

3. LED wholesalers hydro darkroom --> AMAZON SALE PAGE - $195.00

4. sky enterprises hydro box hut --> AMAZON SALE PAGE - $134.95

5. virtual sun indoor grow tent --> AMAZON SALE PAGE - $227.17

lighting:

I'm starting out with a 400w MH/HPS system from Apollo --> AMAZON SALE PAGE - $174.15 (*this light kit is already purchased)

I'd love a few recommendations on how to spend another $200 on lighting to go along with this

atmosphere:

also starting out with a basic setup for ventilation and odor but haven't decided on one yet

1. Viagrow 4" fan/carbon scrubber --> AMAZON SALE PAGE - $139.99

2. VenTech 6" carbon filter/exhaust fan --> AMAZON SALE PAGE - $149.99

3. will I need a separate duct fan for the Apollo 400w MH/HPS fixture?

I haven't ordered seeds yet, but I consider soil/fert/pots and seeds kind of another topic and all things I will buy after my room is set up and running smoothly

**I realize that the 400w MW/HPS light kit I got is likely not going to be enough for a full 4x8 grow room filled with plants

my plan is to learn (in this 4'x8' tent) with this 400w set using around 4'x4' of the interior of the tent and then use what I learn to outfit the remaining 4'x4' and be using the whole tent within a years time - any thoughts on future lighting to add onto this set would be helpful

*so, the only thing I've already purchased is the 400w MH/HPS light kit - I have a cart going with my finga on the ORDER button!

can I get some feedback and advice on number of plants this will comfortably grow?

does this list look reasonable so far? ... I'd appreciate any criticism and advice

2. 1) I would go with another 600w HPS for your other side of the tent and use a 400W on the other side. Definitely go with at least a 6" exhaust setup or even an 8"; I go with the 8", squirrel cage fan, 1 carbon filter, 2 cooltube reflectors where the duct runs on a straight line across the tent with 2 cooltubes.

2) I would just find another grow bible to download for free rather than spending $.

3) Probably grow on 5 gal containers; Either ProMix Bx or Roots Organic soil

4) What seeds you going with?

3. #3 Darth Clitflex, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
    I haven't ordered seeds yet, but I've been looking at Herbies ... white widow, something purple, something kush and something diesel sound about right, but haven't selected the exact strains yet - buying feminized for sure

so in my theoretical 4'x8' tent, I'm using roughly 4'x4' to start with - how many plants would you count on putting under that 400w MH/HPS light?

are there any advantages to having a couple 4' long T5 tubes in there along with it?

any suggestions on which of the above tents is the nicest to use?

4. I would probably consider the supplemental lighting mandatory in that situation personally. I run a 1kw in my 4x8 tent but next run I will be dropping it's size to 4-5'x4" and adding side light still maybe even. There simply isn't enough light from the single bulb to illuminate the whole area.

I feel like personally I am going to be most comfortable with 3-5 plants in there although more, smaller, plants is always an option if you really want a larger number of plants.

5. I use the earthworks tent, love it. I run a 6" fan to cool (2) 600w lights and another 6" fan/filter to ventilate the grow area.

I like your plan for upgrading as you go, I did the same thing starting with a 400w. Good luck and have fun!! :bongin:

6. #6 Darth Clitflex, Mar 17, 2013
    good to hear someone who has one of the ones on my list - is yours a 4'x8'?

one thing that scares the crap out of me is one of the reviews on amazon for the earth works 4x8 said that it came in a huge cardboard box clearly marked with "HYDROPONIC INDOOR GROW TENT" on every side and that it caused the local cheese to come asking questions ... any truth to this?

so you think a 400w isn't enough for 3-4 plants in a 4'x4' section of a 4'x8' tent?

I know that I'm going to have an easier time keeping it cool because of all the extra room, so I don't mind buying a second light - but do you mean I need another light if I want to run the whole tent, or that I need more than the 400w even with half-a-tent going?

7. that sounds like where I want to go with mine - although I'd like to use this 400w in the future along with additions lights instead of replacing it with a more powerful one

what are you doing with your original 400w now?

do you have an idea how much your 2x600w with vent fans setup is affecting your electricity bill?

how many plants can you grow well with your setup in that 4x8 tent?

- thanks -

8. Oh sure, when you upgrade you can put your 400 to work in your veg area. My 400w isn't being used right now but I've got plans for it in the future, running my 250 for now on a project.

Both of my setups, lighting, fans, and pumps all together is about 1800w running 12/12, at $0.12 per kwh works out to $77 per month. On top of my regular usage, of course.

I grow 8 plants in my tent. They're filling the entire 4x8.... they got an extra week of veg by accident, lol for 7 weeks veg.

I got my tent from another blade so I don't know what the box said, but I'll ask him and pm you back.

400w to start will certainly work. I grew with a 400w in a 4x4 diy box for years... even with your 4x8 wide open and just the 400w in the middle I'd expect a good 10-12 oz. In my opinion, if you section it off just for reflectivity the benefit would be too small to notice.

9. #9 Darth Clitflex, Mar 17, 2013
    so you think that if I grow 3 plants in a 4x4 end of a 4x8 reflective tent and have my 400w Apollo light right above the plants that I will still need more lighting to have a great yield?

or do you mean I should have more lighting if I use the whole 4x8 tent?

10. #10 Darth Clitflex, Mar 17, 2013

yeah I saw your tent in your sig there, that's an insane amount of green you have going on in there - I'm assuming that's the 4x8 earth works tent? ... you've given me something to strive for there

after seeing yours, I think just planning on using half of it is a smart way for me to start out - even if I get another smaller light to augment the HID I don't think it will be difficult to keep it all cool

do you have just one fan venting your HID boxes in there?

would you post links to some of your equipment? on amazon if they have it - especially the venting, filters and exhaust fans

did that tent come with a reflective floor?

are you using the original frame that came with the tent to support your lights and filters?

what kind of pots are you using there? - anything like a Smart Pot?

11. #11 Thicken Dense, Mar 17, 2013
    The tent comes with a reflective floor, and it comes with a waterproof 4x8 reflective liner for the bottom to catch spills, it's like an extra floor. The original frame comes with 8 different cross bars for hanging equipment, some of them hang a few inches lower than the others. They can be moved around or taken down while the tent is assembled. The frame is aluminum and is very sturdy once assembled. There are zippers all around the tent, so you can unzip the front and both sides if you need more access. There really is no "front" or "back", both sides have a vertical zipper. Thick flaps run over every zipper to contain light, and the seams are well-made.

I use 5gal-7gal fabric pots, most people call them Smartpots but my brand is Aurora pots. They're $5 each at the hydro shop and they work great.

My ventilation consists of (2) 6" fans. One of them for cooling both lights and the other one pulls through the carbon filter. They run seperately from each other, the air coming from the lights doesn't mix with growroom air so it doesn't need to be scrubbed.

OK, here's a list of equipment I'd recommend, just search amazon for them
    (2) Lumatek 600w ballasts, hydrofarm cord, should be about $180-$200 each
    (2) 600w Eye Hortilux bulbs, buy them new $70-$80 each
    (2) 6" hydrofarm a/c hoods $60 each (will match the hydrofarm cord specified on the lumatek ballast)
    (2) 6" Active Air 440 cfm $70 each
    (2) Active Air fan speed controllers $17-$20 each
    (1) 6" can filter $180-$200

rope ratchets, 6" ducting, timer, power strip, ext cords, thermometer/hygrometer, pots, soil, nutrients.... Maybe another $200-$300

I should mention, that you can find cheaper generic equipment. Light kits and fan/filter combos. I recommend quality equipment in areas that would be critical if they failed, like your ballast and carbon filter.

edit: It's veg area, btw ;)

12. ^ I agree......pay a little more and don't burn your house down. As for carbon filters.....get the best because that is your first line of security.

13. ok - what are some reliable and high-quality brand names for filters that people on here have used?

14. I got a 24x48 box from Amazon, mylar was thick, the box didnt have any lettering on it, just plain brown box and got mine for 80 bucks, im not gunna spend 300 for the same thing

15. Based on my 1kw not adequately lighting my 4x8 area I would have doubts about less then half the light being adequate for half the area personally. That's with 0 experience in a 4x4 yet since I haven't rebuilt yet and 0 experience with 400w lights.

You're in great hands with not Sure I'll bow out

16. I'm not sure of your experience, but your getting fairly pricey with all the equipment. I've noticed it's a easier to start with something
    You already know and get the basics down before buying seeds online. Again I don't know your background. Just some advice. This can be an expensive hobby if you go overboard.

17. I swear by phresh 6x16s my lasts set was good for 2 years.....after 1 year I just started hitting it with a mallet every harvest and they kept going......in 4x4x7 tents. With 450 cfm blowers.

18. no, you're absolutely right there

I have zero indoor growing experience - I expect my first several plants to be unremarkable and puny

I'm setting this up for a summer grow, but I am not going to order the seeds until I get the tent put together and do some experimenting with soil and letting the tent run a day or two empty to see how it goes

I'm trying to buy some gear that I'll still feel good about owning a few years from now - I'm all for saving every dollar I can, but I've learned over the years that some things are worth a higher price tag

I've already skimped a bit with the apollo 400w MH/HPS kit, but I think it will still be useful years from now even after I know what I'm doing

if I get any, this secondary lighting has to follow the same rules - it has to be useful well into the future

it's a very expensive hobby, I agree ... and one that I think has a unique payback for the people who are good at it

19. Great thinking....If your good you can get 100% of your investment back in 4 months ....and still have some smoke

20. I used eBay. I got. 1000w sun systems hood ballast and hortilux bulb for 125$ used. I'm really big into used to start out. I converted a closet in a bed room into my flower area. My veg room is 175 MH (borrowed) and my germ/ sprout
    Veg cab is CFL. as my grow spaces.

I also researched for awhile, it was very overwhelming! Good luck, keep up the search and if you have questions post post post! Everyone has the ability to grow at least mid grade cannabis. It just takes time :)
    Here's my journal if you want to take a look and give you an idea of a tent. This cabinet was free and the light was donated.
    Link:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1184022-first-grow-how-we-doin.html