Amazing.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Leper-Messiah, Dec 28, 2007.

1. <object width="425" height="373"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wS7CZIJVxFY&rel=1&border=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wS7CZIJVxFY&rel=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373"></embed></object>

Discuss.

2. Very cool :)

:smoke:

3. Discuss what? Music is by nature numerically based. Tens of songs reflect various numerical sequences accidentally or purposely. Why should this song (from a great band BTW:) have any deeper meaning? You can play with numbers endlessly and make them 'say' whatever you want to, it still has no meaning.

The end conclusion was hilarious. Yeah, really got me thinking...not:)

MelT

4. I didn't say that music is by nature numerically based. I was hoping that everyone would have already understood that before watching the video. But anyways, I'm stating that you can mentally link the fibonacci sequence to your life and how to live it. This is just a fine example of that. And, if you didn't know already, the song lyrically beats the fibonacci sequence. 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, then back to 1. That's just a prime example of how you can use music and mathematics to link it to how to live your life.

5. No you didn't say it, I did, because it is. It has mathematical structure by nature that can be used to represent anything. Tool use rhythms like 5/7 and 7/9, which will again by nature reflect the fabonacci sequence. The lyrics, because they're laid over this same structure, match the timing. They HAVE to reflect it otherwise it wouldn't be a song. And?

But the second part of what you say above, please explain? Because a rock band accidentally reflects a numerical sequence in a song (as do thousands of others) you think that somehow shows us how to live our lives? LOL! Good god...Okay, I'll buy it. How do you 'mentally link' the sequence to your life and how to live it?

This is amongst the nuttiest ideas I've ever heard in my life, and I've seen one or two that would make you laugh like a drain. But do go on...?

While I'm here. So the gist is that Tool (who to my recollection have never been known as prophets for the modern world, they're just a band, same as any other) have purposely created some kind of message for us all? And you somehow needed this message to be instructed on how to live your life? You couldn't have found it maybe in...dunno...the bible, the Vedas, or maybe the Tao? No, this 'amazing' message is one that has to be teased from a bit of pop music. Wow man, trippy....

MelT

6. You're assuming it was an accident, and you know what happens when you assume.

Edit: Great song, one of my all time favorites.

7. Every action that we do is like throwing a stone into the sea of time. Some times when you throw the stone the actions strike the resonance of the wind, and the wind carrys those ripples a long ways.

Maynard James Keenan is a man who is interested in numerology and the Occult and he uses it in his music, in a very artistic way.

When I was researching indigo children I ran across one of his side projects, Puscifer (https://store.puscifer.com/). If you like Tool you should check it out.

8. I was hoping this video was going to be all about the universe. It was more about a pattern in a song that likely came to be by accident.

Needless to say I couldn't finish the video...I was bored.

9. The song and the rythm of it was not by accident. I can understand some getting bored by it, or just being indifferent. Tool, like any other band is not to everyones liking. Like Beatles. Most claim to like them, personally I find them either boring or irritating.

That said, the Tool tune in question was made to strict mathematics, and it examplifies that natural order (aka mathematics) can be and is (if you like the music) very esthetical and enjoyable. Like the golden cut in visual art if you wish. Which through no incident is also based upon the same Fibonacci sequence. Not saying there is anything special about it, just that they use mathematical and scientific concepts to artistic use. and that by itself is a great thing. Sounds good too in my ears. :)

10. :) You mistake my scpeticism for a dislike of a very fine band, I know their music well. I know too the importance of the Fabonacci sequence, and have no doubt that perhaps Tool did purposely employ it in the song - though as I said, the words can not help but obey the time signiature. What I am objecting to is the idea that it represents 'a way to live our lives...' that's just daft.:)

MelT

11. Mine too. The whole album is very good.