Amazing speech by war veteran

Discussion in 'General' started by PeaceMan, Dec 21, 2009.

1. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akm3nYN8aG8#watch-main-area]YouTube - AMAZING SPEECH BY WAR VETERAN[/ame]

2. Damn right. What supporters of the wars don't realize is that every time a "suspect" gets rounded up by GI's and gets harassed, and tossed about, and manhandled, and held for long periods of time, that he eventually goes back home and tells everyone he knows about his experience. Who do you think his neighbors, friends, and family are sympathetic to? The occupiers, or him? And what stance afterward do you think they'll take? What do you think the children who are listening to such stories will think? What impressions of the US will they carry as they grow and hear more and more of these stories, and possibly get to experience them themselves when they're older?

We do far more harm than good with these wars. They're a goddamned joke. And like the soldier in the video alluded to, we have countless problems here that could be fixed with these billions upon billions of dollars. It's utter madness.

3. I agreed with what he said about Corporate America's greed and what not, but I thought he sounded dumb bringing up racism. We would have invaded Europe after 9/11 if thats where the terrorists were coming from. Just because those people are brown is NOT why we are over there.

Also, over there its hard to draw a line between enemy combatant and civilian. Our enemy doesn't wear uniforms. He doesn't play by the rules. He uses civilians as a means to hide from us just like the Vietcong did in 'nam. If a civilian is hiding soldiers or weapons in their house that are used to kill Americans, then they are not really civilians are they?

I do agree we shouldn't be occupying the middle east though. You cannot win the hearts and minds of the people by forcing them to live in a police state with soldiers everywhere. We need to focus on sending in fast-response, highly mobile teams of Marines that are aimed at taking out terrorist cells in the mountains where we can't find them.

And finally, during World War Two, the US president Franklin Roosevelt had 4 sons who served in various branches of the military. I think if His Holy One Obama had an immediate family member in the middle east right now, things would be different.