Am i the only one who thinks Kendrick Lamar is overrated?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Kush Ambitionz, Sep 13, 2013.

1. I love hip hop and envy lyricists and "real" rappers such as J cole, Big KRIT, Eminem, etc. Everyones talkin bout K Dot like he's some savior of rap music. I listen to his songs and lyrics, and ask myself why he's so hyped up. I ain't hatin on the dude but he's nothing too special. Then he called out all the rappers as if he's on or above their level. He's a chill dude to listen to and is a good rapper but he's nothing really special or great compared to a lot of other rappers out today. Anyone else feel the same way?

2. And then when people like Lupe Fiasco and Cassidy responded to his verse then Kendrick just said "I'm not impressed" tryin to act like they didn't murder him on those diss records. 

3. Who listens to rap now and days?!?!

Who takes rap serious now and days?!?!?

WTF is rap?!?!?!?

4. #4 Saca La, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
  5. na, man, I feel the same. though I find most guys now to be mediocre. its all bubblegum shit now.

6. You are not the only one who feels that way he's horribly overrated and his fans are dick riders and GKMC is not a classic. And I'd say J.Cole is the best "New guy" and is far and away better than Lamar and Born Sinner>GKMC

7. I saw that too and it pissed me off like he's getting too arrogant for his skill level especially when his control verse wasn't that good and Joel Ortiz, Lupe, and Cassidy and Papoose shit all over him

Exactly!!!! 

9. I don't even know who the fucking guy is lol

Sent from my LG-MS695 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. I was going to just read over this thread and leave until I saw the Born Sinner > GKMC post. I love J. Cole and I thought Born Sinner was great, but it doesn't have nearly the fervor or artistry that GKMC has. J. Cole himself recognizes that K Dot is running the game right now, how can you say the man is overrated? You can't call yourself a fan of rap and hate on K Dot (unless your idea of "rap" consists of guys like Lil wayne and 2 Chainz).  

If you think GKMC is overrated, listen to it again. But this time, don't tell yourself it's overrated before you listen to it. You'll consider him a west coast resurrection of Nas by the time you're done with it. 

11. who did he call out?

when did this happen

Fucking hell mate. I like Kendrick Lamar but he is overrated, and youve just proven it right here. Kendrick Lamar is nothing like Nas, not in terms of style, flow, lyrical content, beats, nothing! And he doesnt have anywhere near the same legacy. Nas's debut album is considered a classic, one of the best hip-hop albums of all time! If Kendrick Lamar is the resurrection of Nas (who id like to remind you, isnt even dead!), the Elzhi needs to hurry up and release The Weather Man, just to remind everybody theres more to hip-hop than voice effects

13. I like Kendrick, Wayne, Drake, Future, J. Cole, Tyga, 2 Chainz, Chief Keef, Biggie, Jay-Z, etc. I don't really like Pac or a lot of old school rap.

14. I think his head looks funny

15. I obviously know he's not dead, no need to remind me. I mean resurrection in the sense of classic Nas (Illmatic Nas), and Nas's debut album is considered the powerful classic it is today because of the homage that time paid to it. We'll find out if Kendrick's album is a true classic in time to come, so here you nor I have any power to judge what's an "instant" classic or not, but know that you just said Nas's debut album is considered one of the greatest of all time by critics, and it is these same critics that also consider GKMC to be one of the best albums of the decade (if not all time, but we'll find out if should be considered a classic in time to come).

It is also these same critics that relate Kendrick to Nas in every way possible, because whether you acknowledge it or not, many of us believe that kendrick's work of art does have the potential to be on par with much of Nas's work (many believe Nas is heavily overrated, and they're entitled to their opinions, just as you are).  But You sure as hell can't say that my opinion is "proof" that it's overrated, because it's merely one person's opinion, and if all you need is one person's opinion to solidify something as proof of something, I'm not going to bother. Outside of our personal opinions, this argument can go back and forth all day with us two screaming our subjective opinions towards each other but it will never amount to proof of anything. 

16. #17 PublicEnemy20, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2013
    It's like reading Hemingway or Faulkner. You go through it once quickly just to say you read it, and then you throw their piece of shit books against the wall and ask yourself "what the hell did I waste my time for? This overrated crap is garbage!" Until you pick it up again and really read through it, with patience and thoroughness, that you realize and appreciate what it was meant for. Try listening to GKMC without your predisposed bias about him being overrated, and you may learn a thing or two.

But yeah, if you want to call Kendrick overrated, I'd like to see who you think is underrated, or who you think is better than Kendrick at the moment. Just food for thought, not trying to rile anyone up.  :smoking:

17. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n5r6N7grNA

18. Kendrick Lamar is garbage

i think real "hip hop heads" don't let the fact that an artist is overrated/underrated affect their overall judgment of the artist's flow, etc

i think some people just say shit like oh too mainstream for the sake of it

very few mainstream media still has talent, but it's out there