Am i doing the right thing?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by wondersquirrel, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Thanks for answering, I have a few more questions if you don't mind answering those too. Do you go door to door going through every bin you find on the same street? Do you get the hell out of there if you see someone, or someone stops and talks to you? Feel free to share any stories of encounters. Houses in the suburbs around here can be really close together, it seems easy to attract attention. What time do you normally go out and do this?

2. Dude they did this exact thing on Trailer Park Boys.

So it must be OK

3. Hit and run.

4. Question for op, what if everyone in this forum said you were wrong would you quit or keep going? I'm all for it just curiosity

5. DO It ITS LEGAL and your helpping out the ecosystem go green buy and smoke green

6. [quote name='"Elechronic"']Thanks for answering, I have a few more questions if you don't mind answering those too. Do you go door to door going through every bin you find on the same street? Do you get the hell out of there if you see someone, or someone stops and talks to you? Feel free to share any stories of encounters. Houses in the suburbs around here can be really close together, it seems easy to attract attention. What time do you normally go out and do this?[/quote]

Yes, I go "door to door" if that's what you want to call it, up and down every street. When I have more than I can carry, I find a nice, inconspicuous dump spot and come back for them with a truck later.

If I'm confronted, there's really no point in going anywhere, so I talk to the homeowner, and most of the time they're pretty cool about it.

There was one time I was confronted by a homeowner pointing a .45 in my face. I've been around guns my entire life, so I stayed calm, explained what I was doing and why (I was lying my ass off, and if he was going to shoot me, he would have done it without asking questions). So we sat and talked for a few minutes, and after finding out he was a dealer, I pulled out my bowl and we smoked. I've been buying weed from him ever since. He now knows that the first meeting was based on a lie, but when somebody's got a loaded gun in your face, you'll say just about anything to get out of it, and he was cool with it.

I usually go out and start at around 10 pm, and "work" until 3:30-4 in the morning.

7. [quote name='"Mendi769"']Question for op, what if everyone in this forum said you were wrong would you quit or keep going? I'm all for it just curiosity[/quote]

I'd keep doing it, because I don't give a fuck about what anybody thinks.

8. I'm glad you're knowledgeable enough to know your rights and have a backup paper for those who question you. Its a good thing for the environment and for you. Not to bring out a bad thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if your local government tried to get a way for people to not make money off of recycling (seeing that you make above decent income). Its all about money to them and they'd do anything to anyone who isn't conforming and earning money the "right way." Keep it up dude its a great thing!

Plus its cool that you wear bummy clothes while you do it: probably makes you look more credible for the task ya know?

9. Live the dream.

10. Shit, I should get into this game. In Alberta cans are $0.10 each! not .60 for a lb!

11. [quote name='"korkimann"']Shit, I should get into this game. In Alberta cans are $0.10 each! not .60 for a lb![/quote]

Not sure about Canadian law, might want to check into deposit restrictions and so forth first.

12. [quote name='"StoneTown"']

Plus its cool that you wear bummy clothes while you do it: probably makes you look more credible for the task ya know?[/quote]

Clothes matching profession: check
    Cover story: check
    Make money off of what is basically a scam: check

I hadn't thought about it before your post, but I'm pretty much a spy.

Queue the Mission Impossible theme music!

13. Dude you make 23 fucking dollars an hour by collecting cans holy jesus tap dancing christ, fuck collegeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

and dont ask if you're doing the right thang or not cause u are, using your noggin' like that is doing the right thing if you ask me.

14. $700 in 30 hours is 14000 that's about 467 cans per hour... assuming cans are 5 cents 233 cans per hour assuming cans are worth 10 cents.

And with a population that small? Either each person throws away 3 cans per day or this guy is really good at finding them

15. i did this yesterday to try it out and its not too bad. i got 40.25 for like 2 hours worth of work

16. I'm too stoned all the time to go out and do this shit... but good job.

17. Thinking about getting my buddy in on it, more cans, and we could split the profits. He's going through a rough patch with a kid on the way. Thoughts?

18. honestly i dont see how ur making money like that, i tried this in highschool and filled up my whole trunk with cans aswell as my complete back seat of a four door car and when i brought the cans in the mexican guy working the scale laughed at me and gave me a little ticket when i went to get my cash they gave me 5 dollars..... deff not worth it

19. Dude awesome idea props.. but i was wondering when you cash in, do you have to live in that state to cash in there, or could you say load all your loot and drive to another state that pays more per pound, to maximize profit?

20. [quote name='"canabliss"']honestly i dont see how ur making money like that, i tried this in highschool and filled up my whole trunk with cans aswell as my complete back seat of a four door car and when i brought the cans in the mexican guy working the scale laughed at me and gave me a little ticket when i went to get my cash they gave me 5 dollars..... deff not worth it[/quote]

I'd say you got ripped off. I've actually gotten to know the guys at my yard since I make two or three trips a week, and they told me that they've worked at places with rigged scales, people wouldn't weigh certain items, etc.

Luckily, the guy who runs this place knows not to do that because he knows how much business he could potentially lose (it's a relatively new yard, been open less than a year, so return customers are their lifeblood). They've let me check the scales for myself by standing on it before we piled cans on, I weigh 160-170, and it was right on. They are certified by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (scales), so they're pretty legit.