Am I a racist?

Discussion in 'General' started by scotiasmoker92, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Well today I got into an argument at work with a dude. It was about political correctness well long story short my argument is that I call white people white and black people black, he loses his shit and calls me a racist because the term is afro-Caribbean or afro-American, etc.I don't see how a colour can become a racist term granted its a shit generalization considering all races have lots of different skin tones.I'm kinda rambling man but I feel that with all this worry we have with offending eachother ruins our best chance of getting to know one another. I don't mean start being derogatory but something as simple as saying he's white and his black is that really that offensive?Anyways the dude reported me and now I'm being investigated at work for racism. Just wondering what you guys opinions are on this.Sent from my LT30p using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. [​IMG]

3. Unless they're from Africa or from the Caribbean they're not afro American. However this is why you should avoid conversations like that at a work place Sent from my LG-D801 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. #4 4shotmark, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
    I say white and black. I actually rage when people say Caucasian, because it's just not accurate for all white people. There is no prejudice or hate behind me saying it, it's just that I am white colored. It doesn't bother me to have other people think that. Politcal correctness is fucking stupid. I hate that bullshit, but at work it's important because people get so butt hurt over EVERYTHING.

Investigated for racism? You had to have said something else.

5. I've always used the terms white and black? Most people I know do so too. Both white and black. In US and Europe. Didn't know it could be found offensive?

I'm not American though, and around here it could be really difficult to know where people are from just by looking at them, so don't really know what else to use.

6. people are so fuckin sensitive... look for every little thing to cry about

7. I've heard them called much worse things than black..that guy is a pussy.

8. if that's really all you said then no its not racist to say black or white.  But really like sum people have said this is not something you want to discuss at your work.  People really have become over sensitive when it comes to politically correct terms.  Afro-Caribbean??? haha never heard that one.

9. You're fine dude. The African-American label is fucked, as is every other one that labels people based on where their ancestors are from. If a African man moves to America, he would be African-American. A black man who has had family in the US for generations is not an African American. He is a black American. What if a South African moved to the US? He would be white, but our current labeling system would call him an African American, which we associate with black people.

10. Honestly on my family's life I didn't say anything else, company policy dictates that all complaints of racism must be investigated fully which is fair I guess, just hate the idea that I'm being investigated for something that I honestly believe isn't racist the thing is the guy that reported me is white maybe the dude just plain don't like me lol. Sent from my LT30p using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. [quote name="Capt Soydog" post="19375047" timestamp="1390244156"]You're fine dude. The African-American label is fucked, as is every other one that labels people based on where their ancestors are from. If a African man moves to America, he would be African-American. A black man who has had family in the US for generations is not an African American. He is a black American. What if a South African moved to the US? He would be white, but our current labeling system would call him an African American, which we associate with black people.[/quote]This is the argument I will use if this goes any further, thank you dude Sent from my LT30p using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Point taken about the idiocy of talking about this stuff in work aswell. Sent from my LT30p using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. #13 4shotmark, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
    Reported you because he himself is not as comfortable with race as you are, and that bothered him.

Fucking white guilt at its PRIME.

14. I don't think you have anything to worry about.  I have never heard of any company with a policy that bans the use of white and black as an ethnic designation.  Afro-Caribbean?  Since when has that been a thing?  Weird.  

15. Get that bitch a tissue OP. 

16. Because there has been a complaint of racism it has to be investigated I don't think I will get into any trouble just they need to show that a complaint has been dealt with don't know if it's legal or private policy tho.Sent from my LT30p using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. He's a dummy, that's along the line of conversation that well meaning idiots get confused.

18. I may have misheard the dude but I'm sure he said afro-Caribbean almost positive infact. Sent from my LT30p using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. TC, if your company fires you, you'll have very easy ground for a lawsuit.

20. I hope it doesn't go that far lol. Sent from my LT30p using Grasscity Forum mobile app