Alternatives to war in the middle east

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KronicBoom, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Hey GC the other day I was having a convo with my roommate about politics when the subject drifted toward the war in the middle east. Now with compassion being one of the top priorities in my life, I'm against any sort of aggression, especially war. So I was going on about how ridiculous it is that we are still in the middle east and how we just need to get out already. That's when he comes back asking what were we gonna do, just let Iran and Syria take over? cause god knows we don't need more countries like them. I really didn't have anything to counter that with and I've been trying to get some more info on this subject. Now I know there are alternatives to just blowing the hell out of Iran to keep them in line, but what are they?

Please be specific and keep any conspiracy theories out of this.

2. We got a live one folks.....

3. #3 HighMountainSkier, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012
    Ask your self this? Are these wars making us any safer and at what cost?

Iraq became a hell zone after we "left". I use quotes there because we really didn't leave. The US embassy there has a staff of 15,000 and is our largest foreign embassy. That's an occupation force, not staffers.

In Afganistan, the people we are training to take over security once we leave (doubtful) in 2014 are firing the weapons we give them against US solders. US drones are dropping bombs on civilians, women and children in Pakistan and Yemen. Do you think that the remains of those shattered families might be movitated to do harm agains the US if they live long enough to?

The current US President has a secret assassination list. So far he has assassinated two U.S citizens suspected of crimes, but no charges were ever filed against them. One of them was a 16 year old boy born in
    Colorado.

There's more examples than this. Others will respond and I will post back latter with some links. Keep an open mind.

4. #4 Sunshine86, Sep 22, 2012
    Iran isn't going to take over anything.

5. I'd keep it real simple, and just say "Once they actually attack us or make real threats then we can easily fuck them up. What evidence is there that Iran and Syria will attack the US or others?" Make him work for it. He'll either make shit up on the spot, or go look for info and find nothing that you can't call baseless warmongering. After it seems like he is hopeless and can't find good evidence to support his views, call him a fucking heartless idiot for advocating war when he wasn't even informed.

6. There's way more to this than any of you know. If we just " pulled out " of the middle east real quick there would be SERIOUS international political repercussions and possibly a world war 3.

7. Yeah okay. :rolleyes:

I'd really like to hear why you think that is.

8. Bullshit. ^^^

Been drinking that neocon koolaid I see. :cool:

9. Iran has not attacked or invaded anyone in hundreds of years. I forget the actual number, but it might even be as high as 1,000 years. U.S. intelligence agencies state that Iran IS NOT developing nukes. Even if they did, so what? I wouldn't blame them. They have every right to defend themselves as anyone else does.

However, Washington has been at war more or less since it's founding in the late 1700s. More specifically, how many nations has Washington attacked, invaded, or occupied just in the past 11 years? I can't even keep track anymore.

The biggest threat to global peace, our liberty, and a thriving economy is right here at home on the Potomac.

10. And your credentials are what exactly?

11. #11 KronicBoom, Sep 22, 2012
    Thanks guys, this is good stuff. Sorry if I come off as a bit uninformed as politics isn't a strong point of mine, but I'd like to have at least a few good, informed opinions. I just needed a starting point to help me in my research.

12. Instead of the uninformed, "acceptable" foreign policy viewpoints you see from the establishment, try Antiwar.com or anything written by www.http://ericmargolis.com/ . For his credentials, be sure to check "About Eric." He's the real deal.

13. #13 Sunshine86, Sep 22, 2012

This is an okay primer on the contemporary history of American-Iranian relations. Obviously, the situation is a lot more complex than can be conveyed in a 10 minute video but it covers most of the major points (e.g. Op. Ajax, the Iranian Revolution, the hostage Crisis, Iran-Iraq war, etc.).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ_HaA2GHvg]USA - Iran History lesson - A Must Watch - YouTube[/ame]

14. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1nZtjz1Cp0]The True Reason Why America Is At War In The Middle East - YouTube[/ame]