almost there?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Gordon_Shumway, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Hey guys, tomorrow will be exactly 7 weeks since flipping the lights and was wondering how much longer you all think I have.  I don't have a jewelers loop yet so I can't look at the trichs.  Also, anything different I should be doing as I get close to harvest time?  I'm watering every 3 to 4 days, feeding on every other.  When do I flush?  What exactly is that, just watering normally but with no nutes?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

other plant, waaaaaay more sugar leaves
    [​IMG]

whole plant #1.  lots of yellowing and dropping leaves daily
    [​IMG]

Whole plant #2.  Loosing less leaves and less yellowing
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Wow man, looks really good. I would probably let it go another 2 weeks, I wait until the trichs start turning amber but only you can really tell. Those loupes are $5-$6 for one with a light, a fraction of the total value of your harvest, doesn't make sense to not have one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 snoopdog6502, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2014
    I agree with above.  a week or two. I just use a digital camera on macro mode instead of a microscope.

Yea they look great by the way.

4. Thanks guys!  I just realized yesterday, "holy s%&^ I might only have a week to go!" and thought I'd ask for any advice on the home stretch.  I figured 8 weeks minimum, so that would be one more week, sounds like it might be 2...  That would be fine with me, a little more time for them to pack on some weight!  I have a DSLR camera, sounds like I could probably use that instead of a jewelers loop?  I don't mind buying one, like you say, they're cheap.  But the camera is already there and ready to go.  I take a picture of one of the leaves, from the side, right?  What should I be looking for?

5. flush for 7-14 days. this lets the plant use up the nutes and taste fresh. use pure water no nutes

6. Hey guys, I'm now exactly 8 weeks into flower, and have some new pics... what do you all think?  I'm assuming they need a little more time due to the green/white pistils, but I'm checking with you experts :)  Also, I tried to take pics with my DLSR and zoom lense, but I can't get close enough to really see the trich's with any clarity.  Is that all you guys do?   Is there some trick to getting a detailed enough zoom that you can see the trichromes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. Beautiful pics, much better than the first one. Still can't see the trichs though. I don't have a DLSR, nor am I tech savvy by any means, but if you take a full resolution macro shot and use photo editing software (should've come with the camera) to crop and expand a tiny section it's just like using a microscope. Your monitor can't display every pixel of the entire pic at once, so you can zoom in pretty close before you start to lose clarity and resolution. Youtube has a lot of instructional videos for photo editing software, just enter the name of your software in the search box and you should get a lot of results.

8. Beautiful Plants Man! :O

Sent From The Bushes, Grown Tree's Blowin Tree's
    2ndGrow: http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1278588-My-2nd-Grow:-X-mas-Tree's

• Like Like x 1
  9. So when I took the pictures last night I didn't check to make sure the resolution / size was on the largest setting of my camera, so I may be able to get a tighter zoomed in picture, but here's what I was able to do with the files I have...  My understanding is that even without seeing the trichromes in detail, all of the pistils should be orange/brown, and there are still a lot of young fresh light green/white pistils... Do you guys think I have another week or am I getting closer than I think? 

[​IMG]

10. From what I have seen I would flower for 2-3 more weeks and if you google your strain you can find how long budding is suppose to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. I should say that this is 8 weeks from making the switch to 12/12... I think some people don't count that first week so some might say I'm only at week 7.  Still I thought I was getting a lot closer than 3 weeks out!  I'm getting anxious to harvest lol.  Unfortunately I don't know the strain, these were seeds from a dispensary but the writing on the bag wasn't legible.  It looks like a sativa dominant type of some kind...

12. The trichomes should be 70% amber when it is ready for harvest.

13. Sativa strains usually have flowering stages from 10-12 weeks from switch so you should wait at least till week 10 it will be worth it in the long run.

14. Thanks guys, I'll keep patiently waiting :)

I stopped giving bloom nutes last week and have been going staight water to flush because I thought I was in the final week or two... should I add more nutes at the next water if I still have another 2-3 weeks?  Or keep on just using plain water and just let the plants finish.

Thanks!

15. #16 ALBERT LSD, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014
    It's really up to you but as you know some of your older fan leafs are dying so you can feed her(them) more if you want. I would recommend cutting most of the lower growth that dosnt have any bud sites and focus the growth on the buds.

16. Yeah, the leaves at the bottom (actually lots of leaves all over the plant) are dying, and definitely lots of yellowing, especially on the sativa.  The other plant (looks more indica) is staying greener.

I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly:  Each node, from the bottom of the plant to the top has a branch that comes out and grows upwards, and each branch has a bud at the top.  Obviously some buds are bigger than others...  Are you suggesting to cut off the lower branches entirely, which would mean cutting a branch with a bud at the end.  Or are you suggesting I de-leaf the lower branches but leave the bud at the end.  Is this called lolli-pooping?

I've heard some folks say to leave all the leaves on there as long as there's some green to them, as teh plant needs the fan leaves for N as well as photosynthesis.... Is that not the case?

17. Wow....very nice plants Mr. Shumway. Welcome to GC..

18. Thanks for the compliments guys.  This is my first time growing and I've messed up a bunch of times but the ladies always pulled through for me :)

One more question for the group:  The fan leaves on the sativa, particularly lower down on the plant are turning a very dark purple, almost black.  I wasn't too worried since I figured I only had 1 week to go, but with upwards of 3 weeks left I'm wondering if it's an issue.  ...I've never seen dark leaves like this before, cause for concern?

[​IMG]

19. What kind of lights are you using?