[Alleged] Armenian Genocide

Discussion in 'Politics' started by since93, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I somehow feel this vote is gonna come out like 80-90% for those who believe it is a real genocide, not just concocted up by international interests to weaken Turkey...

well, you have the vote...

Do you, as an individual, define the events of 1914-1915 as a genocide or not?

2. i for one, dont....

3. A group of people were targetted and murdered. It was genocide.

4. on an individual basis, yes....let me elaborate: the ottoman state did not plan to erase armenians off the face of the planet...no...what happened was turks came back to their villages after WWI to find their elderly people and young children and babies raped, burnt, crippled, and otherwise tortured/maimed when the men were at the fronts...

so when mr mehmet came back from the front....he walked up to his house and found the charred remains of his 3 year old daughter....his raped 80 year old mother...and kneecapped grandfather....

mr mehmet, fresh from the battlefield mind you, goes berserk and asks "who did this?"....he is told "the armenians"...so he walks over to the nearest armenian village and rages like he was the personal vengeance of god himself....

that is what some people say happened...including bernard lewis by the way...

5. Let me get this straight, you tell a sob story protraying Amernians as murderers and that justifies a whole fucking genocide. This is blatant piece of propaganda if I ever saw one.

6. i started responding to your crudeness but really couldnt be bothered...you voted, thats all i want

7. System of a Down does. They are Armenian after all.

P.L.U.C.K. (Politically Lying, Unholy, Cowardly Killers)
    Genocide is the deliberate and systematic destruction, in whole or in part, of an ethnic, racial, religious, or national group.

8. cmon mushroom man, the "whole or in part" comes from wiki....dont make me say it...

9. Say what? :confused: WIKIPEDIA IZ A BAD SOURCE. NOT USEFUL IN INTERNET DISCUSSIONS. :rolleyes: Wikipedia is fine for looking up the definition of genocide...

Genocide doesn't mean you have to wipe out an entire group of people. It just means that the people doing the killing were targeting and killing people of a certain ethnic/social/racial/national group in order to (try to) wipe them out.

10. Would you care if you weren't Turkish/of Turkish descent?

Who the fuck cares, the past is the past. Why do you care, it's been so long, it's not like they're blaming you, or even your parents, or even your grandparents for the genocide of a people.

But to answer your question, yes I do. I thought that was a well documented fact. Maybe tomorrow they reveal it was concocted to weaken Turkey's international relations, but I'll care as much tomorrow as I do today.

11. Looks like you are alone...

12. Whats your point?

13. The turks have a long long history of oppressing and trying to destroy different ethnic groups. The Armenian genocide was just icing on the cake. People tend to forget the 400 year occupation of Greece and the ensuing genocide of the Pontic Greeks, or the invasion of Cyprus in the 60's. Turkey is effectively trying to destabilize Northern Iraq because of it's large Kurd population. I really don't want to hate on turkish people, but i see the current turkish state as an extension of the same attitudes that defined the ottoman empire.

14. I'm sure you couldn't be bothered seeing as how he was right.

15. If you don't think it was a genocide I think you should review what a genocide is.

16. It's a historical fact - only the Turks deny it.

17. some of you are very hurtful...no need for that tho....

mushroom...i am one of the people who believe wiki is not the best source for information

nohzee...yes, i agree, and already do so...the way wiki and princeton define genocide differ for instance...you know what that means so im not gonna drag it out

biglrip...i usually am

tjformj...thank you for saying what you had to say without hating...you say turks have a history of oppressing and destroying people...oppressing, i agree (cest la vie man)...destroying?...no because the ottomans had under their power a huge number or peoples and definitely didnt go about trying to, systematically or not, destroy the circassians, the kurds, the laz, the rum, the arabs or the armenians...no man....totally the opposite actually....when spain decreed that all jews leave the iberian peninsula around the end of the 1400s, the ottomans took them in you know?.....or what about when Mehmet the Conqueror took over bosnia or a little country in the upper balkans...a fransiscan monastery fell into his hands...and we had a law decreed that those fransiscans were now under his mighty and fair rule and that by God noone fuck with them or the consequences will be REALLY bad....what about all this stuff man?....no, i do not believe ottomans went out to destroy peoples....

you also say "...400 year occupation of Greece and the ensuing genocide of the Pontic Greeks, or the invasion of Cyprus in the 60's.".....I say: yeah....ottomans ruled 400 years in greece...and?...pontic genocide(!)...please man...I mean, how plausible is that when this pontic genocide(!) has a memorial day of 19 May? (you DO know that 19 May is the day that the Turkish War of Independence started?......1/365, thats how plausible.....and cyprus?...man dont even get me started on cyprus....

also you said "...Turkey is effectively trying to destabilize Northern Iraq because of it's large Kurd population..."....umm, no actually, it is the EU/UK, Russia, and the US trying to destabilize the area, not turkey...hell, the OFFICIAL (and you can look this up in OFFICIAL informational site like the foreign ministry of turkey or pararllel outfit) foreign policy of turkey is, with regards to its immdiate neighbors, is "zero-problems" policy....

18. no...it is a phenomenon being ruled/voted on in senates, congresses, dumas all over the world as a political stance, as opposed to historical research being carried out....hell, how can historical research BE carried out when the Armenian state refuses to open up their archives to historians?!?!?! shit man...Turkey opens them...why the fuck dont the armenians you know?....

its the same shit with the patriarchate (porbably spelled it wrong but fuck it)...they are no different from armenians when it comes to treachery and backstabbing

19. At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law I'm going to say this would be similar to blaming the Jews for the holocaust during WWII. Or. Totally ignoring the genocide of Native Americans here in the U.S. The Armenian Holocaust was just that, a holocaust. Perpetrated by a country that has a long history of atrocities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.