ALL seedlings stretching??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by crocop676, Jun 4, 2011.

1. I noticed my seedlings kind of grow towards the light, and the stem seems quite lanky, so, after taking some forum advice, I just added a little soil all around it and buried it.

But the thing is, it seems to be happening to all of them. Is this normal or have I done something wrong?

Thanks

2. take a picture of your setup, what kinda lights n how close are they?

3. Forgot to say they are auto's

I'm using 1 30W CFL for each pot. distance is 2 MAXIMUM 3 inches, for some it is even 1. It's been less than 36 hours since they sprouted, closer to 30 for most of them

This is my current setup

As you can see, the light is pretty much coming from straight up.
    Well, before (about 2 hours ago), It was coming from the side. Put the bulb to the left, watch it grow to the left. Change it to the right, the plant turns to the right aswell. Is this normal?

Thanks man

Attached Files:

4. Not enough light, try 100W.

5. 4) 23 watt bulbs :)

6. shit, that's all I've got. That and a 400W HPS. Should I switch to HPS? Or should I bring them closer to compensate for the lack of light?

7. switch lights, if you bight that closer you will burn it and lose it.

8. thats not really that stretched thats how mine looked n now its a stumpy bush.

9. the problem is the lights are the wrong color temperature. those are the 'flowering' cfls.

they will work fine still but that's not 2 inches in your pics its like 7 or 8. they need to be closer because that color allows a bit more stretching but not if the lights are close enough.

10. if you have the HPS, use it.

11. Hey thanks guys. That actually is 1-2-3 inches, it's because the resolution is like 4000/2700 or smth my camera is 12 megapixels :)

Switching to HPS now, I'm just afraid not to burn them...alot of people told me to go with CFL's for ~1 week...

Thanks again

12. Does the color temperature really matter? They are auto's..

13. First thing I noticed - why is there virtually no soil in those already too small pots?

Fill those pots almost to the brim, you're wasting precious root space.
    (When they are full, you can get the lights close with less overall heat buildup.)

They'll always vigorously point toward the light at that age. That's perfectly normal.

N.B. 30W per plant is fine for seedlings that young, but be prepared to go up to considerably higher fairly soon.

14. HPS is the way to go in this case IMO. Just check on them regularly and they will be fine. Trust me I check on mine all the time the girls just get prettier and prettier by the day lol soon you will be lookin at them more as they transform into that incredible herb. Yeah you def need to add soil or get them in something else....ohh and I may have missed it but did you mention if these are a particular strain or random bagseed?

15. Hm, the pots are actually 20cm (8 inches tall), so that would mean they are 4.5 litres (aprox 1 gallon). They were almoast full, and then I watered them just before planting so all the soil shrunk in there...

Do you think I should pull the roots out, fill the pot, and then plant them back again? Or just 'bury' them? (I've already done that, after seeing they are stretching, but just for the middle part of the pot)

16. They're auto's..AK, Low Ryder, Easy Ryder, Afgan Kush and Sugar Mango spice

17. Sorry, they looked smaller. Still, go up to at least 3 gallon per plant before they get too big.

Yep, that's the best approach.

If you ever need to do this, it's a sign that you don't have enough light or that it's too far away.

18. Hey, wardrobe check out my grow journal in my sig. I'd really like your opinion on it.

19. Been there done that.
    (I'll show you mine ..... )

20. :eek:You put me to shame lol very nice man!:eek: