All about that GEAR!!

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by clos3tgrow3r, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Awwwwww YEEEEEEEA!!!:p

whos like me and loves their outdoor gear? well if you do share it with us...via photograph of course ;)

my REI divident this year was $58

used it to buy a new blackdiamond momentum climbing harness + caribeener + belaying device
    [​IMG]
    I am just a beginner to climbing but this harness is great. $50, comfortable, light, and gets the job done. From what i understand theres not a whole lot to a good harness and this one has my approval. Still need some shoes...

i also picked up a jetboil zip stove. $70, super compact and SUPER quick. It brought about .75 liters of cold water to boil in under 3 minutes. Bravo JetBoil I definitely approve. A great personal stove for backpacking/camping,,, shtuf i plan on doing this summer:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another of my outdoor hobbies include mountain biking, i have a 2010 GT Avalanche with disc brakes, 26'' wheels, and front suspension w/ lock out... got it last year and love it, its gonna see plenty of use again this year
    [​IMG]

well thats about it for now, and of course feel free to share YOUR gear as well :D:wave: i wanna see what y'all are packin'

2. That would take too long. I am a serious gear whore...

3. baby steps Jefe:p

4. alright alright baby steps....

Heres the pow sticks
    [​IMG]

5. you shred that gnar bro?:cool:

edit: haha im diggin the millennium falcon :laughing:

6. I'll take some pictures of all the gear I brought with me from Colorado a little later on.

My Dividend this year was $105 and most of it went to my girlfriend, so I just bought myself a $30 book on Mountaineering Medicine and a pair of Injinji Toe Socks for my Vibram FiveFingers.

:p

7. haha I was wonderin how long it was going to take somebody to comment on that thing lol.

8. Especially considering that it's the USS Enterprise.

:laughing:

9. its actually not mine, That room used to be my older sisters and she was a major techer. I thinks its pretty awesome but have no idea what it is haha. never watched the show...
    Might take some pics tomorrow of the other stuff as I switch from skiing to kayaking seasons.

10. #10 clos3tgrow3r, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011
    OK blades! For your viewing pleasure I went out and bought more shit to bump this thread with...lol... no joke though, my wallet is pissed:cool:

and i guess its only right to start out where i left off, with the rock climbing...

[​IMG]

Evolv's "defy" rock shoes

They are a half size smaller than my sneakers and i definitely feel the squeeze. Cant wear 'em for longer than 10-15 minutes at a time but its no problem, im not trying to go grocery shopping in these anyways.

the pros:
    *they are relatively cheap for climbing shoes (around 90 bucks)
    *awesome performance
    *quick and easy to put on/take off

the cons:
    *they are $90 :/
    *they smell like absolute shit after prolonged use...moreso than most other shoes i am told

overall: Simple, effective shoes, the converse of climbing i would say...ahh the metaphor would work better if we were back in the 80's or 90's but w/e you get the idea. IMO these are great beginner shoes, im happy with the purchase and would recommend them to a friend.
    _____

[​IMG]

leatherman crater...simple, reliable, affordable, no further explanation necessary. usually goes wherever i go.
    _____

[​IMG]

now this little fucker has got some serious power. it runs off of a single AAA battery and puts out a max of 72 lumens:confused:...meaning its bright as hell for something that is not much bigger than the battery it runs on. its so small that i can carry it along with my knife and forget about it.
    [​IMG]
    Pricey (round $30-something?...though i only paid 20:D) but its truly impressive. I dont have much knowledge when it comes to these newer flashlights but it is brighter than my 12 inch Mag Lite at close range:eek:

it has 3 modes that you twist the head to filter through with a 1.5 hour 72 lumen runtime + it is advertised as waterproof to 1+ meter.

I am happy with my purchase and would recommend this to a friend BUT, not without telling them to shop around first. There are many other similar lights out there both by fenix and some other companies (i have heard good things about surefire to name one) and ill tell you one other thing, flahslights have evolved and will continue to do so...generally speaking if you dont want to then you no longer have to carry around pounds of metal and batteries to have a dependable, powerful light source.
    _____

i got more stuff ill post later, but in the meantime c'mon blades I wanna see what type of cool stuff you guys all have:) i think we can make this thread useful to many!

11. Speaking of gear. I should get the old man a new rod for Fathers Day.

Gear

12. I have that harness. Its pretty nice with 4 gear webs.

That Jetboil is OK but since it burns ISO your going to have difficulty when your up at altitude.

13. I have that Jet Boil and my brother has those climbing shoes. Good choices.

My dad has two of these and we take them out fishing
    [​IMG]

Also have a ton of nice camping gear that my dad got for literally pennies on the dollar when he worked at REI.

And have at least 10 different Pelican flashlights and headlamps.

14. I've been offered a job at REI for the fall, so I can not wait to take advantage of the employee discounts.

:D

15. This came back up huh? Well I guess tomorrow I am going to have to actually take some pics... all that talk in my first post and I only have one pic up..... damn.

16. ya dude i love the harness, absolutely no complaints here:D, and what's the problem with ISO at high altitude? my guess would be not enough oxygen to burn well?

always wanted to do some kayak fishing, seems very enjoyable, not to mention tactical

and i gotta say, REI is the shit i get pretty much everything i need from there. Just a couple days ago I got a $400 pack for $100 at their used gear sale...thing is this pack is not even used, its pretty much brand spankin new!

17. #17 Lead Shooter, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011
    The boil times are one thing. But the main reason is that in colder conditions your stove could freeze up, in some cases only 50F will do the trick.

Plus you can never know the exact amount of fuel left.

I hate to knock a purchase but you should at least be aware of what COULD happen. Jet Boils get great reviews and I have friends that love them.

I guess it comes down to location and usage.

____

I just recently grabbed a MSR Whisperlite International for $60 from REI a week ago. A benefit of having a stove like that is you can use alternative fuel sources such as Diesel, Unleaded, Kerosene, AV fuel etc.

Nice man. I've been going to my local REI for nearly a decade and I recognize all the employees since then. No jobs ever open up there.

18. #18 clos3tgrow3r, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011
    i wasnt referring to boil time, i was just curious cause the post i was responding to said ISO at high elevations may not work. I was thinking maybe you meant that beyond a certain altitude there isnt enough oxygen for ISO to ignite with or somthin sciency like that?:p

I bought mine mainly for its practicality and quickness, and to have at home as an emergency stove...not to mention that so far ive used it in my own room to cook midnight munchies more than anywhere else:eek::p lol

the whisperlite was actually second on my list, it seems like a great stove too

19. Nope JetBoils are notorious for letting you down when you get up in high elevations... But that also depends on what high elevation is for you... For me its 2 hour drive and I am a 6 hours hike from being over 12000ft... You could be in cali and camping in the mountains at 8000 feet.... all depends. I think jetBoil's fail around 11000 or 12000 feet...All has to do with air pressure I think. Not enough oomph to push the gas out.

Just throwin that out...Thats why gas stoves that use an external gas pump are always "expedition" rated.

20. [​IMG]

Vibram KSO 5 Fingers

a week after i got these i had foot surgery on my big toe and unfortunately that still hasnt healed so i havent been able to develop a solid opinion on these yet but they are my first pair of minimalist footwear and i definitely love the concept. Really dig the semi-barefoot feel these shoes give off and cant wait to break them and all those unused leg muscles in.