Alienware 18 coming in 2 days A couple quick questions

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by 5kr1bbl3, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Hey guys! I was lucky enough to purchase an alienware last week, at first shipping was 10-14 days, then we check today and it's on time for delivery Wednesday! So I'm pretty stoked! I just had a couple quick questions, please forgive me if they sound at all dumb haha.#1. My last laptop was an asus g46 that came with 8 gigs of ram, I removed the ram and it's 1600mhz ddr3l 204 pin SODIMM. This theoretically should be plug and play on the new alienware since it has two empty slots and comes with near identical ram? #2. Less noobish question, any games you guys recommend to pick up? I have battlefield 3 from my last laptop. I'm looking for a good tactical shooter and maybe an RPG or something. I don't like WoW so none of that haha. But I was looking at payday 2 as a possibility, has anyone played it yet?Thanks for all the help guys! I'm duped stoked to say the least to get back into the PC world after a month hiatus.

2. Get a playstation PC is for losers

Sent from my Prism using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Honestly, play station just isn't for my needs. There are certain reasons I play PC. And a play station just dosent fit the bill.

4. Payday is fun I havent played it in a while natural selection 2 is a cool game check it out its on humble bundle now

5. Fuck...Alienware was a mistake. I loved mine when I got it, I had read so many negative things about Alienware computers and laptops crapping out on you or not even turning on, parts breaking all the time, etc. 

I ignored all of the reviews and bought an M11X, and my brother bought an M15X. Within 1 week, I couldn't play any game whatsoever without it freezing on me. After it froze you couldn't alt-tab out of it, you had to hold down the power button to turn it off then turn it back on again. My brother's lasted for a good month before his started acting up. Like they kept saying in the reviews, you pay for a brand name not a computer. We both ended up sending ours back and getting refunds. Bought an ASUS N53SV-XE1 and it's been about 3 years now. 

6. said noone ever.

You should have built your own PC, @OP. I dont know prices on alienware but im sure you paid around 2k, yeah?

You could have built a fucking awesome PC for 2k that would make alienware look wack.

anyways, good games; counterstrike source/GO. Titanfall when it comes out. bf4

7. yea bro alienwares are way over priced. When i was looking for my PC i looked at alienware turns out I got wayyy better comp than i would an alien for the same price.

also BF4 man cmon 

8. Ah damn. Sorry guys. I would hVe loved to have built my own PC, but parents stepped into assist when my old PC went down and how could I say no to an alienware when they just tell you to pick an alienware laptop lol. I mean, I'm paying for half of it. But only a thousand came out of my pocket for it. I love it so far. Picking up payday 2 soon. Is titanfall going to be a PC title?

9. PC & Xbone, yup

10. How do you suggest a game is good that you've never played? Granted the trailer does look good, but still.

11. because its made by a good dev team

12. #12 tokin', Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
    Didn't dell buyout Alienware? "Dude you're gettin' a Dell!"Damn man, for 2k you would have a fucking badass desktop.As for games, assassins creed, far cry 3, metro 2033/last night, mirrors edge, bioshock, bf4, splinter cell black list, the batman arkham series if you're into that kinda thing. So many good games are out there lol.

13. Planetside2, tomb raider new one, ss3 bfe. Just go on steam and goto sales and you will find sick games hell even free 2 play have really well done games Sent from the SGS3 within the hippie circle!

14. People always gotta throw the "you could have built a sick rig instead" argument out there whenever someone mentions a gaming laptop. The whole point is to be able to game on the go. I don't think the OP wants to carry a tower, monitor and keyboard with him wherever he goes.

15. XCOM is a turn-based tactical shooter... sort of. Really fun game though.

Honestly, don't buy any games right away. I'm pretty sure the winter sale is starting soon on Steam, so just wait for that. 

16. #16 BuffetCrayfish3, Dec 13, 2013
    [quote name="Marijuana Malice" post="19133307" timestamp="1386633539"]Get a playstation PC is for losersSent from my Prism using Grasscity Forum mobile app[/quote]No one cares about your gaming preferences except you and you didn't contribute to the thread, so please stop.As for OP, I've been playing Payday 2 and its fun. I aleays recommend the Witcher series. Terraria is fun if you like that sort of stuff. There's also Far Cry series and Blood Dragon is fun. Another good FPS is Borderlands 2 (it looks fantastic on Max settings if you can run it).Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. #17 Vicious, Dec 13, 2013
    I was bought an Alienware when I was about 14-15, Not a bad PC I thought but horrible hardware. Power supply fried after 3 years and some of the shit shorted on the case like the front USB's and lighting but Power or Motherboard are normally the first to go. Knowing what I know now I would never buy a prebuilt PC. After recently building mine I was curious to see what other sites would charge. My $1800 mobo was $3000 on both IBuyPower and Alienware! Whatever component you cannot choose is going to be budget which will have much more than a tower PC. I cannot personally speak for their laptops but I have seen horrible views on their longevity, general hardware and aesthetics breaking down (like my lights did). Gaming laptops are horrendous and viewed as joke by most, unless you are a pro RTS/MOBA gamer or constantly traveling. It's luck of the draw but don't expect it to last you long.

Don't think that I am hating, it just wasn't a smart buy even for a prebuilt.

Post the stats for it. I'm curious to see what laptops are pushing these days and how "laptop" GPU compare to their PC counterparts.

I cannot answer for laptop ram but every stick you use should be matching. Don't cheap out on that. You shouldn't have to be worrying about upgrading right out of the box. Find out if you can hold 4 sticks first and what the max you can push is. If you feel the need to upgrade buy the all 4x4/8gb sticks and do it at once. Unless you are doing 3d rendering or video editting, you won't need more than 12gb and that is for the most recent and demanding games.

Grab BF4 if you enjoyed 3. If you're looking for something more simulating try Arma. As for RPG's you should check out the Witcher series. There is too much to recommend really and you didn't give us much to go off of. Check humble bundle weekly for great deals and save up for the seasonal Steam sales because they will take the shirt off your pack.

18. Spent less then 800 on my girlfriends laptop and it plays high Res games pretty well. I'd never buy an alienware and I sure as hell wouldn't buy a laptop as my main gaming rig. Thing will be obsolete in three years or soSent from my Event using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. [quote name="AGoldenRaider" post="19153532" timestamp="1386934678"]People always gotta throw the "you could have built a sick rig instead" argument out there whenever someone mentions a gaming laptop. The whole point is to be able to game on the go. I don't think the OP wants to carry a tower, monitor and keyboard with him wherever he goes.[/quote] thanks dude. Precisely my point. I'm not trying to carry all that shit around and I'm not trying to carry around a console and tv and controllers either. The purpose of a laptop for me is to have the POSSIBILITY of portability. I'm not saying it's that most sensible game on the go option. Because it simply isn't. And I know it's not the most bang for my buck when it comes to PC rigs. But when having people offer to pay for half of a good gaming laptop, why say no? I mean, you all make valid points about building my own rig but I'm really not that worried. Dig the game options, got it Wednesday. Put crysis three and battlefield 4 on right away because I had them laying around. So far so good. I do want the ram though. The ram I pulled from my old laptop, is a Hynix 2/4gb sticks. The alienware has 3 slits tha supposedly only support ddr3l

20. #20 Vicious, Dec 13, 2013

Join the GC Steam Group, leave your info in the new sticky and start squading up with us. We have a pretty solid group going with some chill fuckers.

Post your full specs man! It's what we've all been waiting for.