Algae Growth first grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by nonopinto, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Ok so as the title says this is my first grow in general, and first experience with hydro. I'm done a lot of lurking over the past few months before shelling out the investment to get going. Im about 1-1/2 weeks in from sprouts and over the past 48 hours have noticed algae growth, or at least what I suspect to be algea. My question is, is this growth reversible? I understand restricting light from reaching the rock wool will prevent this but once started, can the algea die off or stop growing? My plants look great as far as I can tell but my fear is the algea growing into the stems and fighting for air with the roots.

any advice is appreciated...

2. I want to bury the rockwool deeper in the hydroton but I am afraid of damaging any roots that have started to make their way down... ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1426206323.593983.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1426206335.877702.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1426206359.696243.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Just cover them with more hydroton, or anything to block the light from getting at em and you should be fine.

4. Like crank says cover them up you can use just about anything...and you will be fine algae is bad but not that bad cover the block, and you won't notice a thing.

G

5. Got an emergency blanket out of an emergency kit and I cut out sections to cover. What do you fellas think would be a "normal" amount of time to pass for the algea to die off?

6. #6 crankz, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015
    I don't really know, but keep it covered and don't even worry about it.
    That little cube is going to get destroyed by the roots/stem anyway.
    If it's grown large enough...

7. You don't have to go and chop up your emergency blanket but yes that reflective side would work, you can use tin foil as well. Anything that will keep the light away

G

8. Thanks for the advice..I know I'm probably over thinking it, I just wasn't expecting to have such issues this early

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. Been said many times already but you could use anything. I've seen growers use cardboard, I would recommend against cardboard due it could get wet but people have used it without issue.

Just make sure you bury your plant deeper nex time, it's ok to cover the stems up to just below the first node.

Good luck, happy growing.