Alcohol and water spray to kill Spider Mites?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Stroggy, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Ahoy mateys. I'm 9 days into flowering on my first ever grow. I've been reading through this forum religiously and I'd like to say thank you to everyone who posts on here. :wave:

So I have a case of the spider mites. It's not too bad (luckily I caught it early), and every day or so I've been finding between 1 and 5 mites ... and probably thousands of eggs. My local hydro store suggested that I use either AzaMax or mix of 2 parts 70% isopropyl alcohol to 3 parts water. I decided to go with the alcohol/water spray because AzaMax is kind of pricey... It seems to be working pretty good (and by that I mean I spray each mite I find and watch it die). But I have 2 questions...

1) Has anybody ever heard of using this to control/eliminate spider mites? If so, how successful has it been for you with ending the infestation?

2) Is this safe to use during the flowering cycle, or should I break down, spend the cash, and pick up some AzaMax?

Thanks

2. ive heard using garlic with water effectively repels spider mites and other insects

3. garlic and water? vampire mites! i always use a simple mix of mild hand soap and water. but you need to wash off all existing mites and eggs first

4. Doktor Doom

The biggest benefit that they are made with natural \t\tpyrethrum which biologically breaks down in a couple of hours They really do \t\tnot have a strong odor- which also provides the homeowner with a peace \t\tof mind as there are no long lasting obnoxious odors lingering in the \t\tair;

i used it it worked great your early in flower still. but spray when the light is off or turn off the light and turn off your carbon fliter for about 3 hours then back to business as usually. they say the light will break down the spray.

5. Thanks! Would it hurt the plant to be wet for so long? When I spray mine down I have the lights and fans on so it dries in like 10 minutes... I'm afraid that if I let it get all sogged-out it might damage the leaves somehow? :confused:

6. well the one i used was like a spray bomb thing. i pushed the button on the bottle and left the room it sprays till the can is empty.

then the fums kill everything.

they say some time's you have to wait three days and if you still see a few bugs do it again. but i only had to do it once i think i caught it early.

talk to you local hydroponic store they should have some. it was worth the 18 bucks it cost me.

7. Dude i literally just had the same problem and this got completly rid of them in 3 days. get some Dr Bronners Unscented baby organic oil soap, i got mine at the vitamin shoppe, mix 2tsp of that with 1tsp 3% hydrogen peroxide in 10oz of water. Sprey once a day for 3 days and once a week after that to ensure they dont come back

8. Kinda late, but if you care I used Alchahol on mine, its fine, the alcahol evaporates almost within 5 minutes under your light. And It kills them instantly, The thing I noticed most is that they like to live in the soil rather than under your leaves, check that area, by disturbing it so they wanna fly away and nuke the heck out of them. I had them gone and out within a week, along with the two ladybugs that magically made it into my house durring my winter grow. :D

9. AzaMax by GH, only thing that seemed to help me. Damn I hate spider mites.